J-Pop/J-Rock Reccomendations?
Oct 9, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #16 of 42
X Japan - Blue Blood
Greatest Jrock album that i have ever heard. Please try this atleast!

Luna Sea - Mother
This would be my second best Jrock album recommendation

Hide with spread beaver - Psyence
So crazy yet so good

Oct 10, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's Yuki Kajiura (a must-listen artist!). Ali Project only sang the opening song (Kopperia no Hitsugi).

Oops. I got the OST and the "NOIR - blanc dans NOIR" CD's mixed up I think. Unless the CDDB information's wrong on that one too. I can't seem to find that CD at the moment to check.

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #19 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellojoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oops. I got the OST and the "NOIR - blanc dans NOIR" CD's mixed up I think. Unless the CDDB information's wrong on that one too. I can't seem to find that CD at the moment to check.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noir_anime#Music

wink.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #20 of 42
Idsynchrono_24 is the only guy I can agree with in here. I'm a big j-indie guy as well.

Sparta Locals is by far my favorite. I've seen them live 3x.

Eastern Youth for more emo rock. Awesome live.

Blankey Jet City/Jude/Kenichi Asai/Ajico/Sherbet for more surf rock.

Quruli for more popular experimental rock.

Ging Nang Boyz/Going Steady for more raw Punk Rock

Clammbon/Misako Odani for more female vocalist style rock.

The Back Horn if you absolutely have to go with Glam Rock. Really kick ass live.

Toe/Special Others/Natsumen/Boat for more instrumentally stuff.

Pomeranians/Bonobos for more reggae-feeling rock.

Sunny Day Service/Keiichi Sokabe for that more saccharine British Pop Rock style.

Soul Flower Union for weird hippy/folk rock.

Other good bands that I like or don't like as much but other people do like.

Acidman/Bloodthirsty Butchers/Number Girl/The Band Apart/9 mm Parabellum Bullet/Veltpunch/Zazen Boys/Boris.

Really Keikaku.net is a very good resource. Several of my friends write reviews there.

Oct 10, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #21 of 42
Another Keikaku guy here.
You would like Acidman. Asian-Kung Fu Generation is like Acidman lite.
Like Idsynchrono_24 and Icarium says, Sparta Local's Second Fanfare and Sun Sun Sun are awesome.
Personally, I also love Doping Panda's We in Music, a dance-rock band, although the singer's pronunciation's a bit annoying.

Oct 11, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #22 of 42
Ah yes how could I forget Doping Panda. So much good stuff... mmm
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #23 of 42
Some of the artists I like are:
Yuki Kajiura
Yoko Kanno
Chihiro Yonekura
Megumi Hayashibara
Utada Hikaru
Bump Of Chicken

I'm not sure who the artists are, but the soundtrack for one of the older anime "Highway Patrol-You're Under Arrest" was really nice too.

Oct 11, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #24 of 42
Ah yes... some Keikaku peoples. I was wondering if there were any of you on Head Fi. Pretty much everything Icarium listed I would have said. My main problem with a lot of the "J Pop" is that a lot of it is really... how do you say... plastic and over produced. It's stuff that the average American joe has a hard time taking seriously, and that's why a lot of Americans think that all Japanese music sounds like Polysics or anime openings when a lot of it could be just as good as the best American, British, or Euro bands. Honestly, the Japanese indie scene is producing some of the most interesting and exciting stuff I've listened to in years.

I'd also like to plug Musicwhore.org as an excellent archive for reviews and info on Japanese music, and alternative American releases.

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #26 of 42
Rockish stuff I like:

Kagrra, (check Shizuku album)
Moi Dix Mois
Malice Mizer
Nightmare
BLOOD

Another new band I'm looking forward to is Versailles, which is made up from some pretty famous guys from older bands, they have an album scheduled to be released at the end of this month.
If you like female vocals, check out Sakamoto Maaya also, my favourite female singer.

Other bands / people I like:

Rin': this is a 3 piece band that employs classic japanese instruments like shakuhachi, koto and biwa and combines it with modern elements.

Garnet Crow: very cool band that has a female vocalist with a really unique voice and great melodies, give them a try. Buy or "acquire" their best album, there is alot of good stuff on it.

Rurutia: not for everyone I suppose, but another very unique artist. Probably more classified as new age music, I'd say try the Promised Land album, or her latest full length album Chorion.

Oct 13, 2007 at 9:32 AM Post #27 of 42
I almost can't believe X Japan was only brought up once?!
If you're a J-rock fan, you can't miss the classic Blue Blood & Dahlia, both by X Japan.
wink.gif

Nov 27, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #30 of 42
Art-School, Burger Nuds, Condor44, Cube Juice, Doping Panda, Downy, eksperimentoj, Envy, Fishmans, Fujifabric, Ging Nang boyz, Going Under Ground, Good Dog Happy Men, Grapevine, Harco, Nananine, Ogre You *******, Polaris, Quruli, School Girl 69, Singer Songer, Spitz, Straightener, Supercar, Suneohair, Syrup16g, Toddle, 9mm Parabellum Bullet.

I like japanese music alot :c

Users who are viewing this thread

Back