Ixos Ministry of Sound DJ1001 Headphones
Nov 10, 2002 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Reticuli

Head-Fier
I might just have to agree with that Greek magazine HiTech. These could be one of the greatest conventional closed headphones that don't need a dedicated amp, and just happen to be good for single shoulder monitoring, have a coiled cord, and a mono/stereo switch. The bass goes SOOO low and the mids and highs are well balanced without a hint of grain. Overall, they're more refined, more musical, less coarse, and more comfortable than the Sony V6. The ER4S is still more resolved and tighter. The Ixos have less bass than the Koss A200, but it goes much deeper, and the Ixos is also much less bright. The bass isn't boomy in the slightest and hooked to my highend Sony VCR with perfect anntanae reception, the sound is very natural, warm, detailed, and the tunefulness of the bass is jaw dropping.

I'm not sure, but the Denon DCM-370 may indeed be a bright, one-note-bass, unnatural sounding CD player, as someone on Audioreview put it. It's so idiosyncratic compared to the Sony, that I'm inclined to say it's inaccurate, now. My Numark Matrix 2 mixer may also deephasize the bass slightly sometimes, such that with the 100ohm Ety's the low end needs to be turned up slightly. I have a desire to do the same with the Ixos sometimes, but only with the Denon on tracks that don't already have a promenent low end. Tin Star's "Sunshine" and Curve's "Turnaround" and everything from PPK knock my socks off as they should and play much deeper and tunefully than ever before in the lowest registers. It may simply be the Numark's headphone jack that's the problem, which seems to sound kind of loose in the bass with every headphone I try. It's just with the A200, at least, it's suitably loud.

The Ixos pads are deeper than the V6's, about equal to the V700's (and most other DJ phones), and more shallow than the A200's. It's still not enough to completely hold the speaker grill off the edge of my very rigid, but not large ears. So like most headphones that don't have super deep pads, they kind of irratate after a while. It's sort of a weird sensation when you're not sure if it's your hearing that's uncomfortable or your actual outer ear, heh heh heh. Maybe there's some way to replace the cushions with deeper ones. I'm thinking if they were just 50% deeper, they'd probably be perfect for me. They're so great, though, I'm afraid to screw around with it. When my Axis 8's get here I'll see if the bass concern is from the Denon, the mixer, or the headphone, but my assumption is it's not the headphone. If it is, then I may have to purposely buy a boomy, bass heavy headphone to compensate for my DJing needs, and while I'm at it I'll find one with really deep cushions. Or I could just send my TD-65 to Koss for a replacement since it's earpads are disintegrating but it's bass (though not tunefull or deep) plays the loudest of anything I have have through the Matrix 2; they also have the deepest pads.

The protection circuitry on the Ixos kicks in at 3000mw (3 whole watts) not 300mw like practically every website and online merchant says. I turned them past 300mw (with hearing protection, of course) and it sounded great, though a tad shuffley in the way that some subs get at extreme volumes. They're sensitivity is 107db/mw at 64ohms, so you do the math. This could have also been the headphone jack or the ER-15's resonating off the speaker grills over the drivers, since they were in contact. Anywhay, they're great looking, great sounding cans that are probably the best on the market for their purpose (and many other purposes), as all the reviews for them have claimed so far.

Nov 10, 2002 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 6
Thanks for the great review, Reticuli. If those DJ1001's are "the BMW of DJ headphones", then the Sony V700DJ must be "the Cadillac of DJ headphones". Which is true, since Cadillac has never been synonomous with high performance cars at high prices - but instead is usually synonomous with overpriced, underperformance cars.
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

And where do the Panasonic/Technics, Pioneer, Sennheiser and Stanton DJ headphones stand in this car analogy? Well, I'd consider the Sennheiser HD 25 as "the Mercedes-Benz of DJ headphones", the Panasonic/Technics as "the Lexus of DJ headphones", the Pioneers as "the Lincoln of DJ headphones", and the Stantons as "the Ford of DJ headphones".
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Nov 17, 2002 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 6
I stretched the headband more thoroughly by sticking 6 VHS tapes side by side between the earpieces overnight. Then I waited a day for my ears to fully recover from the very long listening session I did with my glasses on. I've stopped wearing my glasses when I use them (prefer contacts, anyway) and I've had no problems with comfort since. Last night I listened to the Bladerunner soundtrack and it was magnificent. I went to bed with that really great feeling that only sex's afterglow can exceed :wink: Today I listened to Curve _Cuckoo_ and simply can't believe how low the bass goes on this thing. It can growl, for crying out loud! It reminds me of a THX movie theater's low end, but without the body effects. Vocals sound really good, though I have a tendency to turn them up too high strait out the back of my Denon. I'm getting used to having it at -5, now. I'm definitely keeping them.

Nov 17, 2002 at 8:45 AM Post #5 of 6
I used to own these. Strangely enough I also owned the denon 370 and a link dac so maybe I can offer some interesting opinions. I agree in part, they are certainly better than the V700's, but I think they fall far short of the HD600's, and in truth I thought they were less spectacular than the Denon 950's they replaced as my choice closed headphones. The negative aspects of the sound as I remember stating were lack of seperation, lack of fine detail. And I was always plagued by the feeling that they were exceptionally dry. But, for DJ phones, I guess they are excellent.

Nov 20, 2002 at 3:43 AM Post #6 of 6
Actually, I think you're describing the Denon 370 to a T, though you used a Link DAC. I hate bright headphones and the Denon seemed borderline. Brightness is usually associated with increased detail, so I'm apprehensive about moving to the Denon, especially since the Ixos is already a bit bright on my brightest CD's.

Hmm...ok. Then find me the lowest online price (including shipping) and I might get the Denon 950 and give it a try again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back