Ivy League Colleges
Mar 2, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #137 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
But isn't Penn a state school, and aren't most state schools not that great compared to like elite private schools (Harvard for example....) Thats expecially true if you're talking about UMASS

Wonderful attitude
rolleyes.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #139 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
yeah, but Wharton is like THE business school

Yes, that word on the top half of your resume can probably make Donald Trump finish reading the bottom half of your resume.
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #140 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by ls20
while most of what you say is true, the point is this: how do all of the factors you enumerated compare from one school another for you--or anybody else--to say that school X is superior to school Y.

Perhaps my intentions were not clear. I do not wish to justify an absolute comparison that "school X is better than school Y". I am simply pointing out what I think are important/essential aspects of a good school and things that can help make a decision on where to go to school. Other people may not agree with my opinions, and that's fine. All schools are not created equal, but as you say, it can be naive to say that a given school is strictly better than another school, which is a gross oversimplification.

Mar 2, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #141 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
yeah, but Wharton is like THE business school

yup.. I wish my grades were high enough for Wharton.

Do you guys think there is some possible chance that I can get into Wharton with not so great grades? Or i should completely take it off my list and put it on "Dont even bother applying" list.

Mar 2, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #143 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
In fact, U. of Washington is better than Harvard Medical School....depending on how you look at it.

nope, harvard ranked #1 med school in the country. UMASS has good med school, is cheaper...

Mar 2, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #144 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by steel102
well if the application fee is not an issue, and you don't mind writing extra essays, no harm in applying. you never know
shrug8nl.gif

I think by the time I'll be applying to colleges I'll have to pay for applications so thats like $80.

Mar 2, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #145 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
nope, harvard ranked #1 med school in the country. UMASS has good med school, is cheaper...

U. of Washington is ranked #1 in primary care and #7 in research.

Harvard is ranked #1 in research and #11 in primary care.

Combine the lists and U. of Washington comes out on top.

My point is: U. of Washington is a top tier elite public school that will be viewed just as highly in the medical community as Harvard will.

Mar 2, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #146 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by fante7
Perhaps my intentions were not clear. I do not wish to justify an absolute comparison that "school X is better than school Y". I am simply pointing out what I think are important/essential aspects of a good school and things that can help make a decision on where to go to school. Other people may not agree with my opinions, and that's fine. All schools are not created equal, but as you say, it can be naive to say that a given school is strictly better than another school, which is a gross oversimplification.

i agree with you. thats why i think us news rankings (among others) are useless. it oversimplifies and assigns a final qualitative scores to an institution where people spend all of their real formative years... which, in retrospect for people past that stage, is absolutely preposterous.

there are mediocre, good, better, and great schools.... the boundaries of which are pretty fuzzy. for people choosing school, select a few qualities/aspects and research into those. placing blind faith in some ranking system (like displayed a few posts above) is absurd.

Mar 2, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #147 of 184
this also takes into account what you mean by academic. for undergrad there are all kinds of interpretations. going by rankings could leave you very dissatisfied.
do you want a good liberal (all around) education?
do you want to focus on a particular field
do you think that a certain classroom atmosphere is more academic than another?
do you think that diversity(of some sorts) helps education?
etc...
expectations: what the professors demand and expect may be different from what the students deliver... also look at that.
you're in Mass, it shouldn't be too hard to investigate these things.
BTW: hey, what happened to UCLA's medical school? it's suppose to be legendary!

Mar 3, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #148 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
U. of Washington is ranked #1 in primary care and #7 in research.

Harvard is ranked #1 in research and #8 in primary care.

Combine the lists and U. of Washington comes out on top.

My point is: U. of Washington is a top tier elite public school that will be viewed just as highly in the medical community as Harvard will.

and unlike law schools, nearly all med schools will prepare you rigorously for the medical field

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #149 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
BTW: hey, what happened to UCLA's medical school? it's suppose to be legendary!

It IS legendary! But did something happen to it for real?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back