Ivy - In The Clear
Mar 2, 2005 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

en480c4

1000+ Head-Fier
I don't know how many Ivy fans are around here, but their newest, In The Clear, was released yesterday (03/01/05) and it's definitely a strong effort.

I'm not going to get into a track-by-track review, but I think it's fair to say that this album represents a pretty significant shift in their sound. The usual Ivy things are there, but there's an added "edge" to some of the tracks. And thankfully the album doesn't suffer from it.

If you pick it up, I hope you enjoy it!
600smile.gif

Mar 2, 2005 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 11
Thanks for the heads up, I had no idea they had a new one out. Apartment Life (the original release, not the re-mixed one) is a terrific album. Long Distance a little more uneven. How would you rank the new one up against those? Saw them live way back in '98/'99 I forget, and she was as hot in person as you would expect. Looked at me and blew me a kiss, too.
cool.gif
I almost fainted.
lambda.gif

Mar 2, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #3 of 11
It's tough to know where to put it in relation to their other albums. I think I need more time with it to know for sure.

I think one of the strengths of Apartment Life is their sound is consistent throughout the whole ablum. Even Realistic and Long Distance have continuity. This album seems to be more varied from song to song. I don't mean that in a bad way... I mean it's not disjointed or anything. It's just a little unexpected when considering their previous work. Once you hear the opening track, you'll know exactly what I mean.

I'll be curious to hear other people's thoughts on it. I know it was reviewed well, but hearing other real-world reviews is always great.

Mar 2, 2005 at 5:08 PM Post #4 of 11
I'm big on the cover albums, and I see Ivy put one out. Since I love Apartment Life (the original 1997 release) I just put in an order for their cover album. Anyone who has the taste to put the Cure's "Let's Go To Bed" first is ok in my book - and "Digging your scene" by the Blow Monkeys is one of my wife's fave teen tunes. Looking forward to it arriving.

Mar 2, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #5 of 11
Guestroom is an excellent album! I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
I didn't know the originals for some of the songs and I still enjoyed it.

Mar 15, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #6 of 11
Wow! Another great Ivy album. This one is trippier, more heavily-produced, slighty narco-tized in places. An expansion of their sound. Great stuff!

Mar 17, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #7 of 11
I picked up In The Clear at midnight at my local music store - the owner is a big fan of Ivy so he held the store open late for other fans =)

I have to say that it's a hard choice picking a favorite between Apartment life and In The Clear. I think these two have probably the most consistent mood and similiar sound (compared to Realistic and Long Distance), though In The Clear is a lot more danceable I think (Keep Movin, Tess Don't Tell) . It's safe to say that In The Clear hasnt' left my cd player, just for the sake of "Ocean City Girl".

What do you guys think of the Ivy side projects like Brookeville (Andy Chase) and Paco (Andy Chase and Dominque Durand)?

It's nice to see Ivy fans on the boards. I wish they had more attention paid to them.

Mar 18, 2005 at 2:11 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by pandasonic

What do you guys think of the Ivy side projects like Brookeville (Andy Chase) and Paco (Andy Chase and Dominque Durand)?

It's nice to see Ivy fans on the boards. I wish they had more attention paid to them.

I haven't heard Brookeville, but I have recently picked up Paco, and I enjoy it very much. Then again, I think I'd pay to listen to Dominique Durand read the phone book.

As far as Ivy albums go, I tend to go in cycles. Until In the Clear, I'd agree Apartment Life was the strongest album. But In the Clear is still too new for me to try to rank. And to be honest, some of the weaker (and by weaker, I definitely don't mean bad) albums really hit the spot sometimes.

While I do wish Ivy got more attention, I do love putting on one of their albums and watching people's faces, as they discover they joy that is Ivy. And if more people knew about them, I wouldn't have the pleasure of introducing people to them! Selfish, I know...
600smile.gif

Aug 6, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4
Guestroom is an excellent album! I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
I didn't know the originals for some of the songs and I still enjoyed it.

bit hotmixed but on the portable rig it's just fine - love this album! streets of your town and digging your scene are great covers, oh and i don't know why i love you too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back