iVolume - no worky with iPod lineout... and other important discoveries
Aug 9, 2005 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

markopolo

Head-Fier
I discovered something interesting when using iVolume... I initially wanted to use it to reduce the volume on all my files to make the iPod equalizer more useful. Initially, it worked great when using my E4's out of the headphone jack. But then I decided to venture into the world of portable amps and picked up a PocketAmp v2 and a Sik Ram Din (partly in an effort to alleviate the infamous iPod bass rolloff issue). Much to my dismay, the iPod ignored all my iVolume settings and decided to play everything at full volume out of the lineout jack, regardless of what the volume tag indicated!

While this might have been okay (bass rolloff -- and possibly EQ distortion -- were no longer an issue), the lineout signal coming through the PocketAmp is just too hot for my super sensitive E4's (even with the volume knob turned up just barely enough to get a balanced sound). I had previously used MacMP3gain (based on MP3gain for the PC), which works completely different than iVolume in that it writes to the file's "frame gain" field, which apparently is more universally understood by various players/software, and doesn't touch the volume slider tag. It worked great, and was effective at reducing the volume coming out of the iPod's lineout, but I didn't like the fact that it didn't support AAC and had no "restore" function (unlike the PC version).

Luckily I stumbled upon the AACgain script for iTunes (http://www.macosxhints.com/dlfiles/a..._mac_os_x.zip), which does include an undo function, and appears to work in the same manner as MP3gain. Unfortunately though, about a third of my files are in Apple lossless (ALAC) format, which AACgain doesn't support. Oh well, can't have my cake and eat it too, I guess.

Aug 10, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #2 of 7
Also if you want to decrease the gain with MP3/AACGain (to use EQ), but keep the volume close to the original, you can somewhat counteract the first step with iPodVolumeBooster. Usually around 30% should do it.

Aug 10, 2005 at 3:02 AM Post #3 of 7
Yeah, I saw that. But I actually NEED the overall output volume reduced when coming out of the lineout. Unless you're saying that iPodVolumeBooster only works on the headphone jack output. Then it might actually be useful for me. Do you know if that's the case, or does it affect the lineout as well?

Aug 10, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 7
Really, he can do that? Hmmm... I wonder if he would charge me, and how long it would take. I did tell him beforehand I would be using it with the E4's. I didn't realize I could even ask him for a lower gain setting. Has anyone here done this before?

Aug 10, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by markopolo
Really, he can do that? Hmmm... I wonder if he would charge me, and how long it would take. I did tell him beforehand I would be using it with the E4's. I didn't realize I could even ask him for a lower gain setting. Has anyone here done this before?

I don't know about Gary's amp specificly but many amp builders can lower the gain of the amps they built if you ask them to. So asking Gary is worth a shot IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back