I've tried two clip on ear phones, and I'm ready for an upgrade. Any recommendations?
Jun 14, 2012 at 10:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

robotwi

New Head-Fier
I currently use a SONY MDR-Q22LP. It's comfortable and durable, but the sound quality isn't good.
I used to use a Koss KSC75. The sound was nice, but it broke easily and it wasn't as comfortable as the SONY MDR-Q22LP.
YUIN G1 G1A sounds neat, but I have no intention of using an amp ever at this time, so I'm not sure if I should drop the money for it.

Money used to be an issue, but now I can afford up to the 200$ range, so I figure I can do better than the both of the ones I've tried so far.

I'm really happy with the clip on style, and I'd prefer to stay with it. The SONY MDR-Q22LP are the first pair of headphones I've been able to wear non stop without thinking about them. Earbuds are horrible of course, and over the ear ones aren't happy with my glasses.

I haven't tried IEMs for real yet, but they seem sort of violating so I'm reluctant to.

With this to work with, do people have any recommendations?

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #2 of 11
Audio Technica has some good clip ons, but they are $100+. I haven't tried them. For the $8 price, the JVC HA-EB75 earbuds with earhooks is quite good.

IEMs are a good choice when you want isolation. In certain circumstances though, isolation can be dangerous.

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
Audio Technica has some good clip ons, but they are $100+. I haven't tried them. For the $8 price, the JVC HA-EB75 earbuds with earhooks is quite good.

IEMs are a good choice when you want isolation. In certain circumstances though, isolation can be dangerous.

I don't want isolation. I plan to use these at work, and I want to be able to hear when someone is trying to get my attention.

Clip ons give almost no isolation, which I like.

I'll look into the audio technica ones.

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #4 of 11
I looked into some audio technica ones. More specifically: Audio-Technica ATH-EW9 Lightweight Wood Clip-on Headphones

They sound really nice, but according to an amazon reviewer they're "set up to run the wire around the back of your head and not down the front of your neck" which would make them impractical for me as I'd be plugging them into a computer that's in front of me.

Jun 14, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #5 of 11
Moshi Clarus may be an idea, they offer a mid-focused sound that does have good extension into the low end.  More detailed info by request.  I'll have to test with glasses later to see if they'd work for you (it's lunch time for me :p).  They are clip on, but max your price range out.

Jun 14, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
Moshi Clarus may be an idea, they offer a mid-focused sound that does have good extension into the low end.  More detailed info by request.  I'll have to test with glasses later to see if they'd work for you (it's lunch time for me :p).  They are clip on, but max your price range out.

I don't think that's what I'm looking for.

In terms of sound the low end isn't as important to me as the rest of the spectrum.

In terms of design, they seem too small, like they can't decide if they're ear buds or clip ons. I'm looking for something more in the style of the Audio-Technica ATH-EW9.

Also the price isn't at all nice either... It seems inflated because ~apple~ and ~fashion~ and stuff like that.

Jun 14, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
I don't think that's what I'm looking for.

In terms of sound the low end isn't as important to me as the rest of the spectrum.

In terms of design, they seem too small, like they can't decide if they're ear buds or clip ons. I'm looking for something more in the style of the Audio-Technica ATH-EW9.

Also the price isn't at all nice either... It seems inflated because ~apple~ and ~fashion~ and stuff like that.

It's a clip on in-ear (those do exist).  It works with glasses as well.  Design has nothing to do with sound, don't go out an assume that just because they put some design aspects in that the headphones will be bad (that would be a poor assumption).  That said, you definitely are looking for a different type of product.

Jun 14, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

It's a clip on in-ear (those do exist).  It works with glasses as well.  Design has nothing to do with sound, don't go out an assume that just because they put some design aspects in that the headphones will be bad (that would be a poor assumption).  That said, you definitely are looking for a different type of product.

Yeah. I didn't mean to imply that the Moshi Clarus was bad, but as you mentioned I'm looking for a different type of product, more specifically clip ons that aren't in ear because I want less isolation.

Jun 14, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #9 of 11
I just read a few reviews of the Audio-Technica ATH-EW9. They say it is good for classical music, but light on bass, so many won't be happy with this for rock. Imo this is priced much too high. If it was under $40, then I might have considered buying it. The JVC HA-EB75 earbuds with earhooks is open though, and sounds quite decent even though it is just $8. Its rubber earhooks are very comfortable. The HA-EB75 seems like a much better buy than the ATH-EW9 at 17x the price.

Jun 14, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
Yeah. I didn't mean to imply that the Moshi Clarus was bad, but as you mentioned I'm looking for a different type of product, more specifically clip ons that aren't in ear because I want less isolation.

I got what you're saying, just don't make any assumptions on anything really unless you know for a fact.  I'd also like to add that the Moshi's don't isolate at all...  They offer just about 0 isolation from the world :p  Good luck finding your product.

Jun 14, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #11 of 11
I got what you're saying, just don't make any assumptions on anything really unless you know for a fact.  I'd also like to add that the Moshi's don't isolate at all...  They offer just about 0 isolation from the world :p  Good luck finding your product.

If they're not isolating, then I'm going to see if there's any way I can try a pair.

They're not what I had in mind, but it sounds like they might actually be the answer.

EDIT: Wow apparently no one on the planet is reselling them, so the 200$ price tag is actually 200$

Also they have a nice return policy, so I guess once I have the funds I might as well buy them, since I can just return them if they're not comfortable of if I'm dissatisfied for some other reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back