I've tried every Shure and I'm not sure
May 10, 2007 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Thade

100+ Head-Fier
The E2C was my 1st real iem and I've been pretty happy with them. I understand from reviews and my own listening that they have their faults. I tried to "upgrade" to UM1 a while back and ended up going back to the E2 as I thought the Um1 had weaker bass and irritating highs. I can't describe exactly what it is that I like about the E2 vs everything else I've tried.

Over the past 2 weeks I bought E500PTH, E4G and E3C. I only listened to the E500s for a brief period of time. I had no pobs with them but I quickly sold them while I could still honestly describe them as "like new". Buyer's remorse and sticker shock but I they are still on my list because I can't seem to adjust to anything else.

I had the E3s and the E4s at the same time and swapped back and forth many times. The E4s sounded better, but not THAT much better. They both seem to hit notes on certain vocals and beats that's just plain irritating. The type of frequency that makes my eyes cross with a pain right between the eyes
smily_headphones1.gif
Kinda like shrieking highs and mids. Sometimes the various instruments seem all jumbled together. I sold the E4s and E2s (now I wish I would have kept them a bit longer) and I'm still trying to adjust to the E3s. My source is a 1G shuffle which may be part of the prob even though it is regarded as one of the better sounding iPods. MP3s are 192 kbps, mostly rock

I picked up a used Zen Xtra so I can play with EQ settings.... haven't received it yet.

Normally, I'd be embarrassed to admit ordering 3 pairs of headphones in 1 week but after hangin' around here for a while I'm not alone
smily_headphones1.gif

So I'm back to square one. I could see myself buying all of them again for further listening and tweaking. I'm willing to stick it out before I go elsewhere because I really like the way Shure takes care of their customers.

Maybe it's the weak highs of the E2s that make them a little bit more laid back and easier for me to "get into"? I feel like I'm still demoing headphones with the E3s and I'm not playing nearly as much air guitar as I used to.

I may need therapy but any feedback would be appreciated.

J

May 10, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 27
Iv owned e2c's and e3c's. The e2's have a warmer sound, and more bass than the e3c.
The e3 just doesnt perform well enough across the whole spectrum. I ended up with e5's which are great for everything but a little rolled off on the high freq'.
But that would be good for you, since you describe not liking shrill highs (im guessing you are talking about siblance).

My reccomendation is: you should have stuck with the e500 (I havent heard these, but from what I hear, they have a slight roll off on the highs, and a lush sound overall). I really wanna hear a e500 now....anyone know of shops in london where you can demo them?

May 10, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 27
If you weren't "wowed" by E500 you should just stick with E2's.

I mean, if you run a frequecy response chart they are basically the same IEM
rolleyes.gif
but E500 is more comfortable. Plus, you'll save yourself $350

May 10, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 27
I really think you need time to appreciate the subtle and significant differences. I had my e3c for over a year and moved to the e4 a few weeks ago. The differences are large enough for me to say that the e4 is a lot better than the e3c.

May 10, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you weren't "wowed" by E500 you should just stick with E2's.

I mean, if you run a frequecy response chart they are basically the same IEM
rolleyes.gif
but E500 is more comfortable. Plus, you'll save yourself $350

blink.gif
whaaaatt :S that cant be right lol, the e2c never had a great balanced sound with good detail, you are meaning to tell me the e500 is that bad
eek.gif

May 10, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
blink.gif
whaaaatt :S that cant be right lol, the e2c never had a great balanced sound with good detail, you are meaning to tell me the e500 is that bad
eek.gif

No, it was a sarcastic comment because some people use charts as their ears. I love my E530's!! Light years better than E2's but if you run the chart comparison at Headroom they are identical. ROTFLMAO!!

May 10, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

No, it was a sarcastic comment because some people use charts as their ears. I love my E530's!! Light years better than E2's but if you run the chart comparison at Headroom they are identical. ROTFLMAO!!

very_evil_smiley.gif
hehe maybe they are the same earphone in difference housing
biggrin.gif
yes thats what I will tell myself to convince myself not to buy them.

Yeah but I guess that proves, dont trust freq. response graphs.

May 10, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nobody laughed about the title yet ? I think it's pretty funny !
biggrin.gif

Lol yeah, if unintentional, its very cool
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer
I really wanna hear a e500 now....anyone know of shops in london where you can demo them?

I think all three Micro Anvika shops on Tottenham Court Road (or, at the very least, the two that's not the closest from the tube station) have Shure demo kits that contain all the IEMs from the Shure range. They allow you to audition whichever one you want, although they seemed quite shocked when I said I wanted to listen to the E500s (they sell them for £420 - that's why!)

Personal opinion - I actually found the E500/SE530 a little bass-heavy. Could be just a matter of not being used to it, but I actually prefer the slightly leaner sound of the E4c. That said, I only had them for about 10 minutes or so, so it's nowhere enough time to decide for sure.

May 10, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #11 of 27
yeah, the title was just me being witty
smily_headphones1.gif

It's not that I wasn't wowed by the e500. I sold those for a completely different reason: $remorse rather than dislike for the sound.

May 11, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, the title was just me being witty
smily_headphones1.gif

It's not that I wasn't wowed by the e500. I sold those for a completely different reason: $remorse rather than dislike for the sound.

The E500 are getting discounted now. Even Shure says they are not replacing the E500's with the SE530, prices on the E500 seems to have dropped, at least in the U.S. You should sell the E3c and 4c, and find a cheaper pair of E500.

I have been playing with my E500 for a while now, upgraded from the E2C, and I am extremely please with the sound. Just tonight I decided to drive them thru my home system, fed from airport express optically to a Onkyo 801 receiver. It sounds better still. (I am waiting on getting/building an amp and DAC from my Computer-as-sources).

P.K.

May 11, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #13 of 27
I had both the e2 and e4 and didn't really like either. Switched to super.fi 5 pro and never looked back...

try some different brands!

May 11, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Are we looking at the same graphs? The Headroom graphs for the E2 and E500 show a significant difference in the upper midrange. Anybody who can read a FR plot wouldn't expect them to sound the same.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back