I've sold my amps, my friend killed my Etymotics...what to do?
Jun 3, 2004 at 8:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

erikiksaz

100+ Head-Fier
Even though i have sold my headphone amps, i still loved listening with the Etymotics (hell, who wouldn't). Anyways, it wasn't until recently that my friend borrowed my ER4S that he somehow messed up one of the drivers. It's a friend that i trust, but i'm guessing somehow he turned it up too loud, as he does listening to music wayyy too loud for his own good.

Anyways, i'm planning on sending this unit into Etymotic for service, but should i also ask for it to be converted into a ER4P? I do have a Marantz amp that does a wonderful job of providing enough juice to these canalphones, but the receiver's across the room, powering my speakers. For the most part, the ER4S's were used unamped. I'm just worried that the characteristics of the sound will be changed beyond what i've grown accustomed to.

Jun 3, 2004 at 8:42 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikiksaz
Even though i have sold my headphone amps, i still loved listening with the Etymotics (hell, who wouldn't). Anyways, it wasn't until recently that my friend borrowed my ER4S that he somehow messed up one of the drivers. It's a friend that i trust, but i'm guessing somehow he turned it up too loud, as he does listening to music wayyy too loud for his own good.

Anyways, i'm planning on sending this unit into Etymotic for service, but should i also ask for it to be converted into a ER4P? I do have a Marantz amp that does a wonderful job of providing enough juice to these canalphones, but the receiver's across the room, powering my speakers. For the most part, the ER4S's were used unamped. I'm just worried that the characteristics of the sound will be changed beyond what i've grown accustomed to.

I found the ER4P's to be bright/harsh and boomy compared to the ER4S, when used with a more powerful source. You can always get/make an adapter cable to convert the 4P into a 4S to have the best compromise if you want.

-Ed

Jun 3, 2004 at 8:47 AM Post #3 of 6
Hrmm, bright and harsh... That's funny because i also had to sell my Grado sr325s, which usually are considered bright and harsh! And I for one LOVED the Grados.

Maybe it will be a 4p, i suppose i could rig up an adapter cable if i dislike the 4p THAT much.

Jun 3, 2004 at 10:59 AM Post #4 of 6
Hmm, maybe I'm no audiophile but I can listen to my etys in either configeration and I find I tend to go 4P rather than 4S, just for the slight extra presence in the bass.

Harsh, hmm, no, maybe a source that was bright could do this but for me both the 4P and 4S are just "right".

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Jun 3, 2004 at 6:19 PM Post #5 of 6
I had the 4s converted over to the 4p and then got the p to s adapter. In my case it worked out great because the 4p sounds significantly better with the portable source I use. Plus you get the less microphoinc cable thrown in as a bonus. And when it's time to use it with one of my amps, I just plug in the convertor and go.

Jun 3, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #6 of 6
Bah, i just found out it costs 65 to have it changed over, even during a repair!
frown.gif

I guess i'll have to keep using the 4s unamped until i can find someone to trade with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back