I've searched, but now I have a "???"
Aug 16, 2003 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

pwrusr

100+ Head-Fier
I'm new here so be nice
wink.gif

and I have used the search to get a good idea about what cans I'd like to get.
I'm a BIG trance fan and listen to the stuff 85-90% of the time.

My current headphones are a pair of "Sony MDR V600". I've had them for four years. the sound of them I guess is "OK" just that the bass in lacking a good amount of the time. Detail is also lacking.

I want to move up to something a bit better that is both better suited to my music tastes and also able to hear more detail in the music. If you listen to trance music you would know that it does have some awsome female vocals. I don't like peaky highs or really bloated bass (still like bass though). and mids have to be there and not recessed, they have to be there (not too much not too little if you know what I mean).
So with all that in mind here's what I've come up with:
Beyer DT770
Beyer DT250
Senn HD 280
I'm also open to any suggestions anyone may have.

My budget is really not much more then $100 and I think that may rule out some of the above. However if I must spend more to get the kind of sound I'm going after (good fairly flat sound with nice TIGHT bass) I will
600smile.gif

Aug 16, 2003 at 4:18 PM Post #2 of 39
To add to my post I'm willing to go to $150 , however I don't want to go any higher if possible.

Aug 16, 2003 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 39
I have the Senn HD280 Pro's, and after some good burn-in time, the closed back nature of the can gives IMHO a very nice tight punch in the lower freqs.. I'll use the 280's when i listen to hard NRG or trance like stuff. ministry ect..

I can't vouch for the Beyers, but i've heard good things.

Aug 16, 2003 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 39
From the list you posted and your budget limit, it looks like the 280 Pro is the way to go.

Among closed cans, you'll have to stretch your budget up into the $150 range to really have a range of good choices.

Aug 16, 2003 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 39
you could try looking into the Ultrasone HFI-550 series...the only unfortunate thing right now is that hardly anyone has heard them....you can get them from Jan Meier for less than US$150

Aug 16, 2003 at 8:17 PM Post #8 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Just verifying because of your selection, you're only looking at closed cans?

Yes, that is correct. I like closed backs for their great noise blocking. However if a open pair can do the job better I'm all ears
wink.gif

Aug 16, 2003 at 8:19 PM Post #9 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by GanChan
From the list you posted and your budget limit, it looks like the 280 Pro is the way to go.

Among closed cans, you'll have to stretch your budget up into the $150 range to really have a range of good choices.

well like I said I can streach it up there if the cans are worth the money.

Aug 16, 2003 at 8:34 PM Post #10 of 39
I forgot what to say what I'd be using to drive the cans. for 90-95% of the time I'll be using the sound card in my computer (nforce2 audio).

Aug 16, 2003 at 8:53 PM Post #11 of 39
I would recommend the HD280s. Really amazing sound for the price, and they reach deep! Possible downside is the clamping force and the necessity of a good seal.

Beyer DT250-250 or DT831 would also be great, but harder to drive.

I don't have any Ultrasones yet, so no opinion there.

gerG

Aug 16, 2003 at 9:18 PM Post #12 of 39
thanks for all the replies everyone!
keep them coming!

Aug 16, 2003 at 11:12 PM Post #13 of 39
Just in case no one else remembers to mention it: the Beyer 250's have two versions, the 250-250's and the lower impedance 250-80's, which would be easier to drive from your sound card.

Aug 16, 2003 at 11:22 PM Post #14 of 39
the 80 Ohm version is actually harder to drive, but will be able to "play louder", generally the higher the impedance the easier to drive, but the less power that is put out, but with headphones, it doesn't really matter that much, except that you need a good amp to provide power to high-impedance headphones.

The 80 Ohm version would be better for someone who doesn't have an amp.

The A500's have a good, warm sound, but will probably be muddy compared to the 'phones listed, the DT770 is supposedly muddy, but that is helped by an amp, the A500 is generally regarded as not improving by using an amp (or so I read on a japanese website), they don't have a very hard punch either, they put out a lot of bass, but probably isn't as controlled as the other 'phones, a good buy, but the HD280's would probably be better, even though they wouldn't play as loud, they isolate like a mother, unlike the A500, so you'd actually get about the same volume or so (A500=64 Ohms, HD280=150 Ohms).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back