I've ordered the Xenox Xenos OHA-RHP, has anyone heard this amp?
Feb 17, 2007 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

thomasward00

New Head-Fier
I bought the package for 69.99 with charger and rechargable battery, It hasn't gotten here yet, i'll be using it with my Zune and Grado SR60's and everyone says that the REP is much much better and that the RHP sounds like crap. Does anyone here have personal experience with the RHP?

Thanks in Advance...

Feb 17, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 41
Yes the -REP is significantly better, but certainly not because the -RHP is crap. The -RHP still leaves things like the PA2V2 miles behind for design quality and subsequently rated performance, with sound quality to match without a doubt.

Especially the -REP IMO is a pretty underrated amp in the now crowded entry level range. Unfortunately very few head-fi people seem to have given it a fair chance as yet.

Feb 17, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #3 of 41
I am by a natural instinct an advocate of whatever I feel is subjected to unjust marginalisation. More vulgarily, I have a deeply felt commitment for anything I feel to be in need of a higher consideration.

I guess I also have what Mark Oliver Everett (The EELS) calls "the love of the loveless", whatever may be its object
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #4 of 41
This is my first foray into head-fi, I just bought my zune and my grado's, all i'm worried about is if this amp will be a nice improvement over just using the Zune with the Grado's. It already sounds great, just needs a little more ooommph.

Feb 17, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomasward00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It already sounds great, just needs a little more ooommph.

Good to know! Enjoy it without worrying about status symbols.

Feb 17, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #6 of 41
So basically in lay terms this amp will sound good and won't make my music sound like crap? Personally I think spending 200 or 300 bucks for just a headphone amp is stupid, its just not my thing, I just want a nice boost in volume and not having to keep my Zune turned up so high to save battery life. My Grado's sound so good with my creative x-fix soundcard.

Feb 17, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #7 of 41
Hahahaha! Wow! This thread is REALLY taking off!
wink.gif

For the most part Xenos might be considered, "by some" as a new player on the block, but no one is discounted their amps. As far as the reviews show, people are pleasantly pleased with their purchase, and competition will ultimately benefit us, the head-fi community. Supermite, you don't need to burden yourself with carrying the torch for the perceived underdog. I tried to champion certain "causes" also, but in the end the individual consumer is going to have to make the final choice. Aside from the common chit chat, I don't bother listing any of my audio purchases in my sig, so I don't consider it a status symbol, but I do agree that it's very easy to fall into that trap, the same with cars, clothes and anything else that's for sale in the free market. Another thing is that, unfortunately, in this hobby, most amps, and phones are bought without even being heard.... and it's very difficult to go with paper specs, real world results are usually different.. Thank god for the FS forums!
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #8 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomasward00
So basically in lay terms this amp will sound good and won't make my music sound like crap? Personally I think spending 200 or 300 bucks for just a headphone amp is stupid, its just not my thing, I just want a nice boost in volume and not having to keep my Zune turned up so high to save battery life. My Grado's sound so good with my creative x-fix soundcard.

Yes, it will just sound good without troubling the immediacy of your musical enjoyment like some things at the opposite end of the market can do to people.
wink.gif

I do agree that it is stupid to spend 2-300 dollars for a portable amp that's actually going to be used portably. In such conditions you'll never be nearly as critical about sound quality as you would be in the peace of your home. And were it me, I would end up worrying about keeping the amp safe rather than devote myself to the music. IMO such things fall in the luxury cathegory of goods without a smallest doubt. And this kind of stuff can ultimately harm your passion for music, as in the past I have experienced in the first person.

Feb 17, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hahahaha! Wow! This thread is REALLY taking off!
wink.gif

For the most part Xenos might be considered, "by some" as a new player on the block, but no one is discounted their amps. As far as the reviews show, people are pleasantly pleased with their purchase, and competition will ultimately benefit us, the head-fi community. Supermite, you don't need to burden yourself with carrying the torch for the perceived underdog. I tried to champion certain "causes" also, but in the end the individual consumer is going to have to make the final choice. Aside from the common chit chat, I don't bother listing any of my audio purchases in my sig, so I don't consider it a status symbol, but I do agree that it's very easy to fall into that trap, the same with cars, clothes and anything else that's for sale in the free market. Another thing is that, unfortunately, in this hobby, most amps, and phones are bought without even being heard.... and it's very difficult to go with paper specs, real world results are usually different.. Thank god for the FS forums!
biggrin.gif

A refreshing bath of practical wisdom, thanks for it.
smily_headphones1.gif
tongue.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #11 of 41
Cool, I will only be using this amp with the Grado's, when using buds the Zune is plenty loud enough, and when listening to the SR60 at home it's plugged into my computer. Before I chose the amp company I looked on Ebay and I prefered a 5 year warranty over something made in a basement. Just like to me my new Grado SR60's are the best headphones i've ever heard, and I would never need better sound. To me there is just no need to spend 500 or 1000 bucks on a pair of headphones. Just like some wealthy people will spend 20k on a mark levinson system, when my 600 dollar Sony ES reciever will sound 95% as good. I want some value for the dollar, I'm not a greedy status symbol hound. I like nice but certainly never go overboard.

Feb 17, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #13 of 41
Having lost everything in Hurricane Katrina, it gives you a different perspective about life, I'll never be as material oriented again and that is the case with alot of people here in New Orleans, I like nice and enjoying myself. I'm a network engineer and make a very decent salary, but I have found that I have become a much more charitable person, I've just never been a very greedy person, and even much less now. Life is way too short.

Feb 17, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #14 of 41
X2 I agree very much... The only reason I have my current portable gear (And I'm not going to list it, nor do I in my sig) is because I was trying to find the sweet spot in sound, I started off with a cheapie 35 dollar cmoy and ibuds, but it wasn't cutting for me.. I've tried A LOT of things in the whole range of phones\amps and finally settled on something, so it's far from a status symbol for me. The Xenos amps (well at least the ones I had) were great sounding, but I decided to let them go for other reasons... It definitely pays to do research before buying, FOTM fever runs rampant sometimes!!

Feb 18, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #15 of 41
Are you questioning my level of "independent thinking"?
eggosmile.gif

Btw, I am 75% inebriated AND I'm enjoying the sounds of the classic Coltrane quartet on my somewhat run of the mill conventional portable setup!
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif

to OP: Any reason why you didn't choose the 1HA-EPT?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back