I've narrowed it down to three-Denon Sennheiser or Grado
Dec 12, 2009 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Jmstrmbn

100+ Head-Fier
I will either be purchasing the Denon AHD2000, Sennheiser HD595 or Grado SR225i in the near future. As of right now im leaning towards the Grados. What are your opinions of these phones. By the way these will be unamped at least until im able to buy an amp in a few months

I listen to all types of music from heavy metal to classical

Thanks in advance for all the help

Dec 12, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 12
Whatever you decide, if you're in The States and in a city in which these aren't readily available (Baltimore, for one), think about purchasing from Headroom. They've a very agreeable try-before-you-buy policy, and will stand behind whatever they sell. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Dec 12, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 12
It's definately a good idea to buy from somewhere that has a no questions asked return policy. You will either be a Grado person or not. For myself, I'm not a Grado person. It would be a bummer if you found out that you are not a Grado person either.

Dec 12, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #4 of 12
Grados do very well un-amped. They will sound better when you do get an amp, but you'll be happy without one.

They're very aggressive/forward; it feels like you're on stage with your favourite band! Sennheisers are more laid back, relaxed, like you're in 8th row. I find them boring, personally. Denon has great bass, but a recessed midrange, which I found to be frustrating.

As you can see, I'm a Grado nut! They are definitely the rock for rock, metal, anything guitar based.

Dec 12, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #5 of 12
If you are not going to amp the headphones then i would definitely recommend the Grados. They dont take much power to drive them to almost there full potential.

Dec 12, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #6 of 12
If you can't return the Grados, the worst thing that can happen is you try them and then sell them on the FS/FT forums. The small amount of $ lost can be considered a "rental" fee.

Dec 12, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #8 of 12
after reading more about the Grados i've heard that they sound great with rock but seem lacking with other genres. Is this true or is it merely in comparison to how well they handle rock?

Dec 12, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #9 of 12
HD595s don't fit into the 8th row catagorey... They also don't need an amp. I'd really consider them. My are still rockin after five years.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmstrmbn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
after reading more about the Grados i've heard that they sound great with rock but seem lacking with other genres. Is this true or is it merely in comparison to how well they handle rock?

I like my grados for most of my music (rap, rock, acoustic, basically anything but country) and the only thing that i think that the grados are a bit lacking in is bass. When i want to listen to rap and here that thumping bass i listen with my denons. The grados definitely have tight bass that you can hear but the denons have a good deep thumping bass that works for rap and the like.

Dec 12, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Galesden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like my grados for most of my music (rap, rock, acoustic, basically anything but country) and the only thing that i think that the grados are a bit lacking in is bass. When i want to listen to rap and here that thumping bass i listen with my denons. The grados definitely have tight bass that you can hear but the denons have a good deep thumping bass that works for rap and the like.

I second that, and add most synthetic music for the same reasons.
Everything acoustic sounds very free flowing and natural, but the thumping bass from rap and house can strike you as a little lacking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back