ive minutes of fame
Jan 25, 2002 at 4:57 AM Post #4 of 10
Umm, what does this UHC do?
confused.gif

Jan 25, 2002 at 7:29 AM Post #6 of 10
Nice review rick, Im still wondering though if this setup would have advatages over a regular headphone amp? Or is it as you said just a cool little gadget? I have been told that speaker amps often have too much distortion to sound good driving headphones, did you notice anything like this?

Jan 25, 2002 at 12:46 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Cool review! Are they going to let you review the audiophile version?

hehe,not unless I can borrow some K1000s
biggrin.gif

AI-a cool little gadget with potential to be more.First as an option to a dedicated headphone amp for those that want to retain the sound of thier main amp but with cans.And something I overlooked was the ability to hook this sucker up to a line level output also !
Direct hookup to a tube preamp or a Cd player is perfect for some ,especially the former.Something I have seen asked on other boards.
I did not have a problem with noise other than stated in the review,but that mostly with low to medium powered tube amps and low power / low gain SS.I would think twice before hooking up to a 250 watt behemoth.
But then again,could be system dependant.If you get noise at a low level between songs then it would likely be magnified with headphones.

Not for everyone maybe but what is ?
There WILL be one in my home,I like the UPC

Rick

Jan 25, 2002 at 1:08 PM Post #8 of 10
Rick,

I'm in the Hartford area. Would you care to swing by with the box sometime and try it with my pair of AKG K-1000's?
evil_smiley.gif

I currently use them straight out of my Bottlehead Paramours, fed by either an Pioneer PD65/Audio Note DAC 1.1x combo or a Linn LP12/Rega/Denon 103D/EAR 834P combo through an Audio Note M-2 preamp. I'd be curious to hear what the box does about the almost certain impedance mismatch I've got right now.

Dave C.

Jan 25, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #9 of 10
Now I see I don't have to buy a dedicated headphone amp when I get my Wave monoblocks. I really like the way you keep things straigth and direct. Keep the reviews coming and congratulations compadre.

Jan 25, 2002 at 11:50 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

I'm in the Hartford area. Would you care to swing by with the box sometime and try it with my pair of AKG K-1000's?

Absolutely !
In fact the reference to tube preamp/headphones compatability is related to some of your and others questions at the bottlehead forum.
soon as I actually get the UPC back we will talk.Hell Hartford is only a jump
very_evil_smiley.gif

Actually made the Whalers in the last year of thier CT reign
eek.gif

BTW-have had the IE (e bfore i yadda yaddda yadda) glitch since grade school.Have not gotten it right since and really don't give a F....
very_evil_smiley.gif

RI..uh...E...uh ...ster

Users who are viewing this thread

Back