I've made my decision, I'm getting Westone 3s. Anything I should know?
Dec 31, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by noremedy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remember Westone's are a further 33% more expensive over here in Europe. While in America the IE8's are more expensive. Its just the way of the pond.

Here IE8 = £195
W3 = £300

In the States the reverse occurs, its all due to suppliers to the continent, Senn are native to Europe, Westone to America.

I can forsee a much larger number of IE8's in Europe and a larger number of W3's in America, its just the way the pond goes.

exactly what i have been trying to explain. its simple trading. domestic vs. import. i guess some people aren't aware of anything outside their own country.

Dec 31, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #17 of 25
I find Westone 3 the best for my taste with long comply eq off straight from an ipod

Dec 31, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i not gonna waist the time explaining the price difference again. refer to the IE8 thread.

anyways the the OP from what i hear the W3 are great though i don't believe all the hype around them. which is settling down now after the mass hysteria right after their release.

the bass adjuster doesn't click or anything and the gains and losses aren't tremendous. i strongly suggest you don't dismiss them because of that. the IE8 are one of the better IEMs available on the market today.

actually it's because of that, the price, and the fact that I hear the Westone 3s respond really well to amping, which I eventually intend to do.

Dec 31, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatguyoverthere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
actually it's because of that, the price, and the fact that I hear the Westone 3s respond really well to amping, which I eventually intend to do.

That was my point, you know I am not gonna stick with W3 forever, eventurely I wanna upgraded it, and I will be thinking of reselling it...according to the trend, W3's price is pretty stable like the Grados...but IE8's price at the moment is too high in US and very cheap in EU, so I will lose pretty much a lot of money when I wanna resell it because my competitors might be people from EU who paid half the price...

Some did suggest to buy from a German store and they do ship to the US and its pretty cheap...but I don't like that, Warrantee service is not honored in the US...also I don't think that German store is an Authorized Dealer...so I rather stick with my W3...which has two year warrantee after registration...

Dec 31, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i not gonna waist the time explaining the price difference again. refer to the IE8 thread.

anyways the the OP from what i hear the W3 are great though i don't believe all the hype around them. which is settling down now after the mass hysteria right after their release.

the bass adjuster doesn't click or anything and the gains and losses aren't tremendous. i strongly suggest you don't dismiss them because of that. the IE8 are one of the better IEMs available on the market today.

I believe you should listen to W3 before making that comment, people don't just mass hysteria something out of no where, the new hype did produce a new listening experience...but it all comes to preference...

For the IE8, the problem is not WHY price is different, but is the FACT that it is different~Senn really did a bad job on this price discrimination, but the price might eventually come down because US sellers will have to compete with EU sellers...I will wait and see, would definately have a try on IE8 if I have a chance, just to have a better idea of its quality.

Dec 31, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Be patient getting used to them. I would start with the regular sized complys and then go from there.

Try the Ipod on "jazz' setting. I think it is excellent!

I emailed Comply regarding the proper tip size for the W3 and here's what I got back:

Thank you for your interest in Comply™ Foam Tips!

We have not tested the new Westone 3 True-Fit headphones yet.

Because there are so many different earphones we are constantly testing them and updating our compatibility list.

The differences between the Comply™ Series Tips is how each type fits on an earphones’ sound port; which vary in size and dimension.

Please continue to check Comply™ Foam Replacement Tips, Noise Reduction Earphones, and Mobile Phone Earsets with Noise Reduction. to stay in touch with what new brands and models we have approved!

Also, please let me know if there is any additional information I can help you with.

Best regards and Happy New Year!

Joseph Yé
Customer Service/Sales
Hearing Components
Phone: 651.739.9427
Fax: 651.735.2790
The standard tips that come with the 3 work well for me, but I'm not sure of the size/model (T100, 400, etc.). Do you know?

Regarding EQing the iPod, this may be of interest.

Jan 1, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, but it's easy to figure out. There are small ones, longer skinny ones and regular size which I am using. I think they are called "regular" size.

Tstarn06 filled me in on another thread, Spyro. Here's what he had to say:
T100s or P-Series both fit the W3s. P Series come in standard, thin and (if you can find them) short. One pair of each comes with the W3s. T100s come in standard and small (which are very, very small). If this makes any sense, the T100 standard and the P Series shorts are about the same size (also the same size as the T400s, which work for larger canalphone-type sound tube phones, such as the Sony EX lineup, or the UEs, or the NuForce or Denon phones. Or any standard "canal" phones, with the larger (circumference) sound tubes.

Jan 1, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe you should listen to W3 before making that comment, people don't just mass hysteria something out of no where, the new hype did produce a new listening experience...but it all comes to preference...

For the IE8, the problem is not WHY price is different, but is the FACT that it is different~Senn really did a bad job on this price discrimination, but the price might eventually come down because US sellers will have to compete with EU sellers...I will wait and see, would definately have a try on IE8 if I have a chance, just to have a better idea of its quality.

i'm not a big fan of overly hyped products. i mean u have to understand how LONG the rumor mill and wait for the then UM3 was. i mean this goes back to like 2005/2006 so people have been waiting and waiting and waiting. so now its like people's prayers have been answered and there in lies all the hype. a rumor + a very high demand + a great product = mass hysteria.

just like during holiday season there are toys or whatever that kids are dying for and waiting for. now when they get that product it is the best thing since sliced bread but after some months wear off and that hype of just having the product wears down people tend to come back to earth and figure out the flaws or whatever and things go back to normal until a new product is rumored then the cycle starts over again.

as for the pricing you are in essense also saying that westone made a very bad move in making the prices for the W3 so high overseas? correct? it is not price discrimination its...

you know what i not gonna go into that anymore believe what you want.

btw ummm why would Sennheiser have to compete with the price of EU sellers? please explain this to me.

Jan 1, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #25 of 25
i'm gonna throw a spoanner in the works here and say that while I prefer W3 myself. if I were to listen to rock 100% of the time then I would not prefer them. to me the SE530 would handle that better. I have both and I still grab the W3 for rock if I have it with me. and its a falicy that SE530 dont improve with amping. the bass toghtens up, the highs have more energy and the already quite good soundstage improves. all my opinion of course.
jecklinsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back