i've just order the Govibe V5
Mar 5, 2007 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

captian73

Headphoneus Supremus
i've just order the Govibe V5 headphone amp (of course) about 30 minutes ago.

Norman did say he''l be out of the oofice until tomorrow, and it''l tkae about 6 working days to arrive (i live in the UK) but i'm excited. should give my ipod shuffle and ultrasone 750 system a bit of a kick.

i've gone for the cardas cable. is it any good or should i upgrade A.S.A.P?

wish me luck

Mar 5, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #2 of 21
congrats!! the GV5 is actually a good headamp...but out of curiousity... y did u order the GV5 when the GV6 is already out?

Mar 5, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #3 of 21
I'm guessing price is one of the reasons, mADmAN
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 21
awesome, congrats! please do post your impressions when you receive it
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #5 of 21
mADmAN wrote;
Quote:

congrats!! the GV5 is actually a good headamp...but out of curiousity... y did u order the GV5 when the GV6 is already out?

jmmtn4ajwrote; Quote:

I'm guessing price is one of the reasons, mADmAN

actually there were a few reasons, the main one being the mains power supply. because it's different to the U.S. for the time being i wanted to leave the power supply issue alone.

second, because i'd be using rechargeable batteries, i wanted easy access to the battery compartment. the V6 looks like a screw job, hence i went with the V5 because of it's slidding battery cover.

i hope for my sake i've got the right one.

Mar 9, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #7 of 21
I also just placed an order for a GV 5. After confering Norm I decided on a custom-spec GV5 with the AD8620/8610 opamps, an intermediate gain of 2.8 and finish it off with blue LED. I think it should be a lot of bang for the buck and allow the use of the 24v Elpac or a custom 18-22v battery pack as suggested in following threads:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=221654

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=218005

I will post impressions after receiving and giving it some time.

Mar 9, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #8 of 21
I'll be happy to hear what you like about it when you get it. I just got into amps myself.

Mar 19, 2007 at 8:50 AM Post #9 of 21
sorry for not updating you but i got the amp more than a week ago but i didn't have a chance to listen to it because i've been away on personal family stuff. huh, families!

anyway my earliy conclusion is that i'm more than happy with the amp, especially with the Ultrasones. it seem to eben the headphones out. tames the sharp highs, adds to the bass, when needs must.

it seems magically know what oi want.

full test soon.

Mar 19, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyway my earliy conclusion is that i'm more than happy with the amp, especially with the Ultrasones. it seem to eben the headphones out. tames the sharp highs, adds to the bass, when needs must.

it seems magically know what oi want.

full test soon.

Nice to see early reports are encouraging, captian.
smily_headphones1.gif

Are you using anything other than your Shuffle as a source?

Mar 19, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #11 of 21
I also recently received my GV5 with AD8620/8610 and intermediate gain of 2.8. I am still waiting on arrival of Elpac24v and ipod dock so for now am using the headphone out to the GV. Even if it doesn't get any better with those additions I'm already happy with the improvement. My phones are at both ends of the impedance range - UE 5pro and Senn HD580s. With both phones there's a significant improvement in clarity and extension of the frequency spectrum on low and high end. I'll post some more impressions after receving the Elpac and dock/line out.

Yesterday after enjoying the music most of the morning with the new rig, I took my 1G shuffle and ipod earbuds to the gym. It's excruciating going back to them even though I thought they sounded pretty decent when I first got them.

Curse you head-fi !!

Mar 19, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #12 of 21
Dexdexter wrote: Quote:

Are you using anything other than your Shuffle as a source?

just the imac, but i haven't had a go on my bang and olufsen. i have found that the effect is not as noticeable on the larger headphones, which might give way to a debate on when and if you need them for low cost headphones, but i'd rather be with it than without it.

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just the imac, but i haven't had a go on my bang and olufsen. i have found that the effect is not as noticeable on the larger headphones, which might give way to a debate on when and if you need them for low cost headphones, but i'd rather be with it than without it.

Did you get the "regular gain" or the "low gain" version?

Mar 19, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #14 of 21
Dexdexter wrote; Quote:

Did you get the "regular gain" or the "low gain" version?

uh, pass!

and i can't look right now because i've gave it to my friend to use for a couple of days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back