I've just entered Heaven. Hi guys!
Oct 27, 2004 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Coalescent

Head-Fier
I have finally reached audiophile nirvana. And from what I understand, this is just the beginning.

I just received my JMT-built portable PIMETA amp; it's my very first headphone amp. It arrived today, along with a JMT mini-to-mini cable, and the SiK DIN I ordered to use the line-out on my 4g iPod.

I own the HD590s (which, I know, are generally loathed on these forums) and the recently-acquired BeyerDynamics DT770/80s.

Up until this time, the best thing I'd heard was these headphones driven out of the headphone-out of my Denon DRA-475RD stereo receiver, listening to CDs from a nice Pioneer LD player (I think it sounds considerably better than my Sony DVD player).

I've had the Sennheisers for a long while now, and I enjoy them greatly. The Beyers are still growing on me. I've been afraid of the whole "You won't hear a difference!" thing, and have been unable on my grad-student budget to really afford to buy an amp. Well, when I saw JMT selling some demo model PIMETA portables for cheap, I just decided to freeze my brain and take the plunge. I could use the extra money for the nice mini-to-mini cable, anyway.

I can't believe that anyone couldn't hear the difference an amp makes, even a "lowly" PIMETA. All those posts about the HD590s not benefitting much/at all from an amp...

Yeah, right. This is magnificence. I've never really heard Norah Jones voice until now. I've never heard music sound this good, ever. It's freaking amazing. I'm addicted, I'm bitten, I'm never going back... headphone amps DO make a difference, and it's a freaking big one. I'm astounded.

There's no squinting here, searching for minute improvements, letting my brain "adjust" to the new sound. It's just better--oh-so-much better.

Thanks, guys, for infusing me with the intense desire to pursue this hobby. My wallet may hate you all forever and plot your collective suicides, but every other mote of my being is smitten.

I'm listening to this new combo right now (4G iPod Apple Lossless --> SiK DIN line-out --> JMT mini-to-mini cable --> JMT-built portable PIMETA --> Sennheiser HD590s.

Wow. Just, wow. I'm in heaven
600smile.gif
600smile.gif

Oct 27, 2004 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 13
Congrats on your new purchases!

Now, while your happy, turn off your computer and never come back. Run far away and never read these forums again! I wish I would have done the same thing, but alas, I'm stuck here
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2004 at 5:40 PM Post #3 of 13
Very pleased you have jumped up in quality, whether everyone agrees or not, at least you sound happier.

You've made the fist big jump and the next ones come in smaller stages but higher prices.

I still have my 590s as they are very comfortable - will probably replace them soon only becuase they are my portables ones and take up too much space in my briefcase.

If and when you consider the next jump try to hear the results first before hurting your wallet.

Oct 27, 2004 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 13
Thanks for the advice guys.

*sniff* Sounds so good, makes me wanna cry... I never thought listening to my first headphone amp would be an emotional experience!

Man, I'm in looove.

Thanks JMT for a GREAT AMP! (And Tangent for designing it!) Woo!

-Chad

Oct 27, 2004 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 13
My first headamp was also a JMT PIMETA, and I had the same moment of revelation when I plugged it in and everything changed. I wanted to listen to my whole music collection all over again because I was hearing things I'd never noticed before.

Congratulations on your rig. I hope it brings you as much pleasure as I've had from mine.

Regards,

BW

Oct 27, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 13
how does the DT770 sound with the pimeta? feeling the bass now?
basshead.gif

Oct 27, 2004 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 13
Congrats! I have entered this world 3 years ago with the MB Quart Quartphone 160 and Audio-Technica ATH-D40fs. And then goes HD600, ER-4P, K1000, SR-225, RS-2, RS-1, PS-1, L3000...

The most interesting thing is that when I feel I need an upgrade, I somehow find ways to earn more money for the new headphones.
icon10.gif

Oct 27, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #8 of 13
I had the same 'revelation' when i recieved my Go-Vibe from Norm at Headwise.It was like night and day
eek.gif
Also now rediscovering my music collection
smily_headphones1.gif
Congrats on the new stuff!
tongue.gif

Oct 27, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #9 of 13
I have invested less money in my current setup and that has probably led to my disappointment with my first headphone amp, a Xin SuperMini.

I'm only saying that it's not just any old amp with any pair a phones that will deliver that dramatic improvement that you are all enjoying or reminiscing about.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 28, 2004 at 3:24 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coalescent
I own the HD590s (which, I know, are generally loathed on these forums) and the recently-acquired BeyerDynamics DT770/80s.

I think the HD590's are better than what many people at head-fi make them out to be. Don't be too quick to get rid of them if you like their sound, or you may regret it.

Oct 28, 2004 at 7:41 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
I think the HD590's are better than what many people at head-fi make them out to be. Don't be too quick to get rid of them if you like their sound, or you may regret it.

I do like their sound.
600smile.gif
Thanks for the advice... I'll probably never get rid of these cans, even if/when I purchase some HD650s to see what they're like. They were my first really nice cans, and, so far at least, I like their sound better than the DT770/80s.

-Chad

Oct 28, 2004 at 4:32 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coalescent
I do like their sound.
600smile.gif
Thanks for the advice... I'll probably never get rid of these cans, even if/when I purchase some HD650s to see what they're like. They were my first really nice cans, and, so far at least, I like their sound better than the DT770/80s.

-Chad

Good point about hanging onto something that works for you regardless of its prestige value. I've got a pair of Senn HD545s I know I must have bought 10 years ago, and they still evoke the magic they did when I first got them. They also remind me of how consistently the Senn sound signature has been presented over the years.

BW

Oct 28, 2004 at 5:21 PM Post #13 of 13
I feel the same way about my Shellbrook Audio Pimeta. It's my first headphone amp and although many people said you really didn't need it when using Grados, I immediately noticed a huge difference.

From all the poking around I've done since then, I think that the Pimeta is seriously underrated by a lot of people.

I've heard it said that the PPA is a step up, but for the price a well-built Pimeta seems real tough to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back