I've just created a NW-HD7
Jun 15, 2009 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

penartur

500+ Head-Fier
Recently a new ZIF->Toshiba 50pin adapter appeared: ³ëÆ®ºÏ ÁÖº¯±â±â õ±¹ ³ëƮŷ
Unfortunately, this shop deals only with korean customers; however, with an invaluable service of isanggon from rockbox forums (Login), i've, at last, got the adapters.
The extra 2-3mm adapter added was too much for NW-HD5, so i was unable to put all this rubber protectors on the new hdd; the fit of hdd in the chassis is very thick even without those; but i fear now how it will deal with an accidental drops of the player, without all this rubber defence.
After an initialization of the drive i've realised that if i will copy all contents of the old OMGAUDIO folder back to the player, it will say something about corrupted database and will not see any music; so i had to transfer all my tracks to a player using sonicstage again. It all works now, and sonicstage sees all 74GiB of my 80GB samsung hdd (HS082HB if someone is interested).
Also i've bought a 1350mah (1.5 times more than original) BST-33 battery on ebay, i will do a test of battery life later and can post the results here if someone is interested.

So, at all, my "NW-HD7" (based on NW-HD5) has the 80GB capacity and, likely, something about 60 hours of continuous playback from one charge - all this in case smaller and lighter than a thin ipod classic. And with the great SQ as well.

Jun 15, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 16
That's amazing. If it supported FLAC (or preferably Rockbox), I'd totally buy an HD5!

Jun 15, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 16
It supports ATRAC3Plus on 352kbps, that's not a huge difference.
Even more, i can say that NW-HD5 playing 352kbps atrac3plus definitely beats an ipod 5th gen playing source flacs (if listen through a hp out).

Jun 15, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #5 of 16
I've thought about taking a photos of disassembling and assembling, but then thought that such photos will not be interesting...
Of course, i can do now a screenshot of a sonicstage with "Free: 74GB" message, but i think it will be even less interesting.
BTW, anyone can do the job itself; despite of service manual saying that you should nearly totally disassembly the device, one could just pull out the device from the case, hdd can be pulled out without a further disassembling.

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #7 of 16
He must post pics of the process and the player. Come on.

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #8 of 16
I still can't believe how much my better my NW-HD5 sounds than any of these new players like the ipod touch (just compared mine to my bro's ipod and blows it out of the water!!!). Everything coming out now is not made for sound quality, but rather for bells and whistles. I don't care about stupid apps, I just want my sweet sweet music. I'm going to keep mine until it breaks...considering it's ridiculously awesome build quality, means most likely never.

Jun 16, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #9 of 16
Unfortunately, i wasn't successful with cf mod even when using an expensive smart photofast's CF->Toshiba adapter; but NW-HD5 with 80gigs is also cool
smily_headphones1.gif

When i've tried to upgrade it to a cf, i've bought a pair of used NW-HD5s in an excellent condition from ebay, for about $120 each... i think that should be no problem to buy one if you will someway manage to break it.

Jun 17, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #12 of 16
I tool love my NW-HD5. But I have a question on SonicStage. Will it work in newer version of Windows (Vista and Windows 7)? If not, then what software should we use to rip the audio CD to Atrac3Plus and then transfer it to the NW-HD5?

Jun 18, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Will it work in newer version of Windows (Vista and Windows 7)?

Sony have added vista compatibility to sonicstage as of version 4.x (i'm not sure what "x" is, possibly it was 4.1).
Currently i have SonicStage v4.3 (downloaded from CONNECT Music Store ) running on Vista x64 without any flaws.
Also, you can use an opensource JSymphonic: About JSymphonic to upload music on sony players (i doubt if it supports ripping to atrac3plus, but it will transfer mp3s to the player), it is supposed to run on windows/linux/macos.

Jun 18, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #14 of 16
The case is actually larger than the ipod classic - 75 cm cubed vs 67 cm cubed. also, i'm guessing the weights are very close with the addition of the adapter.

Jun 19, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

The case is actually larger than the ipod classic - 75 cm cubed vs 67 cm cubed

Just because new ipod classic is thinner. And i don't know how they've measured the dimensions; i have both ipod video (thick one) and nw-hd5, and i can tell that ipod is really a brick if compared to nw-hd5.
Also, ipods are very vulnerable to an accidental drops etc.
Quote:

also, i'm guessing the weights are very close with the addition of the adapter.

Lol, the entire package with 5 adapters and a lot of packaging materials weights 35 grams, so i doubt if one adapter itself (even before truncating an extra parts) weights more than a 3-4gms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back