Ive just bought a cd mastered WORSE than death magnetic!!!!
Jun 24, 2009 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Beyerfan70

100+ Head-Fier
Incredible but true,this morning i picked the latest Dinosaur jr. album as ive always been a fan.
Not that J mascis music has ever sounded squeaky clean but it's always sounded like a garage band should,rough and dirty.
Well there's rough and dirty and there's downright stupidity and in this case it's ridiculous how this has been released.
From the moment i played the first track i knew something was seriously wrong.
Every single instrument was so distorted that the sound was cracking severely,worse even and when the vocals came in it got unlistenable.
The whole thing sounds like the equipment they used was broken,hey i don't mind dodgy production but this is crazy!
I put track 1 called pieces through my wave editor and there is 0% dynamics...absolutely nothing! even death magnetic has more!
I dont think ive ever heard such a mess in my life,this really is the pits and even though i love the band really and honestly i think that both he and greg calbi from sterling sound mastering should be banned from any music making product for life.
I'm absolutely disgusted.

Jun 24, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the foobar gain values?

I'm dont have foobar so i cannot tell you,i'm just using an editor with a music program i have.
But i can tell you it is just comletely bricked and its consistantly way way over 0db.
Ive just done a search about it and as it's a new release there isn't much info but one guy on their my space page has asked if his cd is faulty and another stating it's about 3500 times louder than death magnetic.
Needless to say it didn't make me feel any better.

Jun 25, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #6 of 13
I thought this was a thread about The Woods by Sleater-Kinney.

Jun 25, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #7 of 13
As it turns out the band are aware of the problem which apparently only affects the european cds so kudos to them for that.
However if i had not have been told to look on their website i would not have known,and what about people who dont have internet access,they would never know.
Still at least they are looking into it but at the end of the day it is a pain as this sort of thing shouldn't happen these days.

Jun 25, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #8 of 13
I like the sound of Death Magnetic, it's a f#@king METALLICA album, after all. It should crunch your skull relentlessly.

I don't often listen to it w/cans, I'm not much of a metal listener w/ phones, just through my house system, rattling my windows and such.

(My 3-year old always asks me, "Daddy, play 'TALLICA... the LOUD ONE...
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jun 25, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

I like the sound of Death Magnetic, it's a f#@king METALLICA album, after all. It should crunch your skull relentlessly.

There is a difference between raw garage sound and digitally distorted clipping mess caused by the ****-up of mixer and masterer. DM sounds like ****! And take this from someone who likes raw sounding thrash metal like Morbid Saint (look them up to hear what real garage sound sounds like taken to extremes) and raw black metal, and likes them loud and strong. On DM every instrument sounds butchered, kickdrums produce flat "BLOB" instead of strong slam etc. It doesnt sound loud, (there is a volume knob if you want anything loud, possibly bass and treble knobs for fine tuning) it sounds FLAT....

To OP, could you make a short, few ten seconds long maybe, MP3 clip of the worst part of this album? I would really like to hear what kind of horrible mess that is if it really bests DM.
icon10.gif

Jun 25, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #11 of 13
Yes it does clip and distort. Every official release of death magnetic clips badly. The screw up happened during the first mixing where the mixer drove the levels over the red line (which mixer should NEVER do!). Only Guitar Hero mixes dont distort because activision got their hands on the original masters before mixing, and did their own mix version from them.

If you dont have anything against downloading testing purposes, check out Moderus Remaster II of Death Magnetic (made from GHIII files, mastered to sound as close as original retail without clipping) and compare it against your retail CD. The quality difference should be so obvious that it isnt even funny. Loud and powerfull, but not distortion and flat instruments.

Earlier Machine Head albums have been surprisingly good on this loud and powerfull regard. Compressed as hell, yet very surprisingly little clipping and distortion, quite powerfull. Rick Rubin and co. should take a look and hear how loudness war (if one has to resort to it) is done right.

Jun 25, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a difference between raw garage sound and digitally distorted clipping mess caused by the ****-up of mixer and masterer. DM sounds like ****! And take this from someone who likes raw sounding thrash metal like Morbid Saint (look them up to hear what real garage sound sounds like taken to extremes) and raw black metal, and likes them loud and strong. On DM every instrument sounds butchered, kickdrums produce flat "BLOB" instead of strong slam etc. It doesnt sound loud, (there is a volume knob if you want anything loud, possibly bass and treble knobs for fine tuning) it sounds FLAT....

To OP, could you make a short, few ten seconds long maybe, MP3 clip of the worst part of this album? I would really like to hear what kind of horrible mess that is if it really bests DM.
icon10.gif

I gotta go with MaZa on this one. Intentionally done Lo-fi is a much different beast than dynamic compression. It's hard to articulate but listen to a Guided By Voices or Neutral Milk Hotel album - the guitars sound distorted and fuzzy, not distorted and jagged.

Jun 25, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes it does clip and distort. Every official release of death magnetic clips badly. The screw up happened during the first mixing where the mixer drove the levels over the red line (which mixer should NEVER do!). Only Guitar Hero mixes dont distort because activision got their hands on the original masters before mixing, and did their own mix version from them.

If you dont have anything against downloading testing purposes, check out Moderus Remaster II of Death Magnetic (made from GHIII files, mastered to sound as close as original retail without clipping) and compare it against your retail CD. The quality difference should be so obvious that it isnt even funny. Loud and powerfull, but not distortion and flat instruments.

Earlier Machine Head albums have been surprisingly good on this loud and powerfull regard. Compressed as hell, yet very surprisingly little clipping and distortion, quite powerfull. Rick Rubin and co. should take a look and hear how loudness war (if one has to resort to it) is done right.

X2 on the Moderus Remaster. It sounds much better than the retail CD. Gone is the distortion that was so painfully obvious in the chorus to 'The Day That Never Comes'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back