I've got Wood!!!
Mar 6, 2008 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

johnanderson

100+ Head-Fier
Well, W1000 to be precise. These things are making my music sound so bad that I think I have to re-encode all of my cds, or get another amp. No more recessed vocals like in my D2000. Oh how I've missed the AT sound after selling my AD700's. Now that I have them can anyone recommend a good amp for my two main cans? I've already figured out that I don't like the forward presentation of tubes. Something detailed, warm, with great soundstage, hopefully less than $200 and is a desktop...if thats possible.

As for a comparison so far, here is what I've noticed from my brief time with them. Keep in mind that this is out of a LDII and I can't test them with the Head-six cause I dont have any 1/4"->1/8" adapters.

More forward presentation and detail. Much more forward than my AD700's were. Im sure at some point my ears are going to start to fatigue and start bleeding because the highs
tongue.gif
The vocals put my D2000 to shame. I can't believe I'm saying this but if I'm looking for a laid back sound I reach for my D2000's.

Mar 6, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 7
First thing I've thought was that you grabbed a pair of Darths, but W1000s are purrrrty as well.
W5000 & W2002 gets my vote for most beautiful wood finishes - along with Amboyna burl Darths
biggrin.gif

Congratulations on your purchase
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 7
wish I had wood, metal is almost as good right? RIGHT?

Mar 7, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #7 of 7
Ok, all jokes aside, now that I'm getting rid of my two amps can anyone recommend another amp with tube warmness coupled with great detail and soundstage? It sounds like I'm looking for a hybrid, but the only ones I'm aware of are the xcan and millet. I don't want to spoil the analytical sound of the AT's with too much forward presentation. Can anyone recommend something within my price range of $200?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back