I've Got Some New Toys!! [Pics]
Sep 30, 2005 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

saab

500+ Head-Fier
Well, after debating with myself for a while I finally bit the bullet on the Ultimate Ears UE5c. I got the impressions done for free from a local audiologist, and sent them in. I ordered the phones from HeadRoom, taking full advantage of the 10% discount for contributing members. I also got free shipling from UE, so all in all, my total out of pocket for these was $495.

After dropping this much, the wait was excrutiating; but when I cam home from work a week and a half later, and there was a fedex box waiting for me, my heart started thumping, all the while my wife telling me I am crazy.

I am still getting used to the fit and feel, but I can definately say that these are truly a piece of work. Beautifully crafted, and they feel like they will last a lifetime.

The sound is something else. I have never heard such wonderful, lush music straight from my iPod. Deep, full sound with all the detail I can ever hope to hear. I am now an official member of Team UE5c. These things are amazing.

And now, what you have been waiting for:

Pics

This is the carrying case
case.jpg

The 'phones in their case
UE5c3.jpg

This is the iPod in the case
5c.jpg

And another
Portable4.jpg

Oh yeah, I also picked up Bower's eggo d55
eggo.jpg

All I can say is that I am extremely content. I know my upgrading will now be limited, as I can never sell these.

Thanks HeadRoom and UE, together you have made this a fantastic experience.
-John

Sep 30, 2005 at 2:32 PM Post #3 of 32
I love how they stamped your initials on the IEMs, nice touch! Congrats!

Sep 30, 2005 at 2:33 PM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Are you driving them straight out of the headphone out on the iPod?

For the moment I am. I might try it with an amp down the road, but there is supposedly very minimal improvement. For the time being, they sound absolutely wonderful.

-John

Sep 30, 2005 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I love how they stamped your initials on the IEMs, nice touch! Congrats!

Thanks, and I sure don't have to worry about tips comming off in my ear canals Jahn
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Thanks
-John

Sep 30, 2005 at 3:04 PM Post #7 of 32
Awww finally! Congrats!

So how is the fit of your new babies? You said you got your impressions made somehow the same way I had - like an in-between of "chewing" and an open mouth. I hope that everything's fine for you.

It's been almost two weeks, so mine should arrive next week
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW these phones look fantastic - enjoy them!

Ciao,
Marcus

Sep 30, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #8 of 32
I will take some pics of them in my ears and have them up by monday.

The fit is fantastic. It is still taking some getting used to, but I do not expect to send them back. (ymmv)

-John

Sep 30, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by saab
For the moment I am. I might try it with an amp down the road, but there is supposedly very minimal improvement. For the time being, they sound absolutely wonderful.

-John

Actually an amp improved them quite a bit. I used Ray Samuels' Hornet w/ my UE5c and it was really good. I spent like 3 hours on Saturday with them and like an 2 hours on Sunday. So 5 hours with the hornet all together, and really, the ipod internal amp doesn't come close to Ray's amp.

Sep 30, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
Actually an amp improved them quite a bit. I used Ray Samuels' Hornet w/ my UE5c and it was really good. I spent like 3 hours on Saturday with them and like an 2 hours on Sunday. So 5 hours with the hornet all together, and really, the ipod internal amp doesn't come close to Ray's amp.

Great, thanks. This is just what I did not want to read.
rolleyes.gif

I can't imagine them being much better, so for now I am just going to enjoy.
cool.gif
They are still unbelievable with a subpar amplifier. I can no longer claim the iPod to be weak on bass, especially once the files have been mp3 gained. This made a huge difference.

-John

Sep 30, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #12 of 32
those look nice! congrats man, now you just need an amp
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 1, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #14 of 32
so does this UE5c came with pouch? I noticed it came with a carrying pouch before.

By the way, how is the fit? And you did open your mouth wide open when you were taking your impression right? I heard the wider you open, the tighter the fit it will be.

I am going to take my ear impression on Monday, and I am excited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back