I've got a woody: Ordered SR225 Woodied
Dec 29, 2004 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ghart999

100+ Head-Fier
Larry had his prototype SR225 woodied and recabled cans for sale for $300. I figured what the hell. I have never heard the 225s stock, so I will have nothing to compare it to. But enough have prasied them, that I thought this is a good deal. I will be mating these with a Porta Corda MII. This is my first headphone purchase aside from Koss PortaPros. I can't wait. You can see some pics of the woodies at: https://home.comcast.net/%7eheadphile/d1.jpg

Dec 29, 2004 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghart999
Larry had his prototype SR225 woodied and recabled cans for sale for $300. I figured what the hell. I have never heard the 225s stock, so I will have nothing to compare it to. But enough have prasied them, that I thought this is a good deal. I will be mating these with a Porta Corda MII. This is my first headphone purchase aside from Koss PortaPros. I can't wait. You can see some pics of the woodies at: https://home.comcast.net/%7eheadphile/d1.jpg

I've also got a pair of Woody SR225's from Larry! I'm in the same boat you're in since those were my first 225's as well. I love how they sound! I understand now why people say they're great for rock. I think they're equally fantastic with female vocals too.

Larry's a great guy who's wonderful to do business with. As a matter of fact, I need to send my 770's to be recabled and I also want him to recable and woody my hd580's....my wallet's wimpering as we speak!
rs1smile.gif

You'll have to let us know how they sound through the PC MII!! I'm on a group buy, so I'm curious how they'll go with the Woodied 225's.

Congrats on the buy!

Dec 30, 2004 at 1:08 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghart999
Larry had his prototype SR225 woodied and recabled cans for sale for $300. I figured what the hell. I have never heard the 225s stock, so I will have nothing to compare it to. But enough have prasied them, that I thought this is a good deal.

Imo, most common mistakes people around here made is to buy headphones without hearing them first. I personally don't know how much Larry mod changed the 225 sound. But if i were you, i would have tried the original 225 first before plunging that kind of money in them. Some people cannot stand grado sound, i just hope you are not one of them. Just my 2 cents. Anyhow, enjoy your new headphones.

Larry, one question here. I think 125's drivers are the same as 225s. The only thing different according to Grado are its grills (to improve airflow.) Why don't you mod the 125 and probably change the grills instead? You disassemble those housings that far anyway, right? It would be interesting to see how it compared to original 225. Plus it probably keeps your cost down even further.

Dec 30, 2004 at 1:41 AM Post #7 of 14
I was going to purchase the protype sr225 woody's, but my brother got me the headphones (not woody, original) for my birthday.

Oh well, I think the sound is plenty fine without the woody enhancement. I hear the cable job is what gives the biggest improvement.

Glad you enjoy them!

Dec 30, 2004 at 1:48 AM Post #8 of 14
A little off topic, but I think we should change the term from 'woodied' to 'woodified'.
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2004 at 1:52 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanadu777
Did you wind up getting flat pads sant430? Either of you and everyone else can get them from Todd... www.toddthevinyljunkie.com

yep, i like them too. I just need to break down and get some double stick tape and put my Sennheiser headpad on them and I'm good!

Dec 30, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by simplelife

Larry, one question here. I think 125's drivers are the same as 225s. The only thing different according to Grado are its grills (to improve airflow.) Why don't you mod the 125 and probably change the grills instead? You disassemble those housings that far anyway, right? It would be interesting to see how it compared to original 225. Plus it probably keeps your cost down even further.

I would probably agree that they may well be the same drivers. The plastic grills are most likely to restrict them from sounding as good as 225's. I recently woodied up a pair of MS-1's (the same stock plastic grills), changed them to stainless mesh grills and you can probably guess the outcome
biggrin.gif
If I were to get a pair modded, The MS-1's would be the ticket...

Dec 30, 2004 at 2:45 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanadu777
I would probably agree that they may well be the same drivers. The plastic grills are most likely to restrict them from sounding as good as 225's. I recently woodied up a pair of MS-1's (the same stock plastic grills), changed them to stainless mesh grills and you can probably guess the outcome
biggrin.gif
If I were to get a pair modded, The MS-1's would be the ticket...

Larry,

Ill bite-- I have been considering purchasing the Grado SR-225 headphones and have been interested in the wood conversion completed in the fashion shown in the images above. I would like to try headphones from the Grado/ Alessandro range and if the MS-1 with such a modification parallels or surpasses the performance of the Grado SR-225 I would be very interested in this. What is the approximate cost to modify the headphones with the wood surround, cable and revised grill?

Dec 30, 2004 at 4:36 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by iDesign
Larry,

Ill bite-- I have been considering purchasing the Grado SR-225 headphones and have been interested in the wood conversion completed in the fashion shown in the images above. I would like to try headphones from the Grado/ Alessandro range and if the MS-1 with such a modification parallels or surpasses the performance of the Grado SR-225 I would be very interested in this. What is the approximate cost to modify the headphones with the wood surround, cable and revised grill?

Alessandro ms1 = $99
woody/recable mod with paduak or maple 2.0 meters = $250

total = $350

pretty pricey, anyone know if the sound is improved a lot? It would be nice if other colored flexing may be used, IMO black is too lackluster and unnoticeable.

Dec 30, 2004 at 6:12 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by simplelife
Imo, most common mistakes people around here made is to buy headphones without hearing them first. I personally don't know how much Larry mod changed the 225 sound. But if i were you, i would have tried the original 225 first before plunging that kind of money in them. Some people cannot stand grado sound, i just hope you are not one of them. Just my 2 cents. Anyhow, enjoy your new headphones.

I agree this is bad sometimes. But that is why I bought used. If I don't like them I can probably sell them here for close to the same price I bought them for. Besides I cannot find any Grado dealers in my area that have the 225s set up for listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back