I've got a bad feeling about this: A "For Sale" trade going south
Jun 20, 2009 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 412

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
I was hesitant about posting this at first, but after discovering a new update to the ordeal and consulting a friend about this, I think it's time I talked about this suspicious headphone trade I've been doing with a member starting last week (6/19). I won't name the person yet, but I'm sure you can find out who it is with enough digging.

Initial deal was to trade my Westone 3 for his Shure SE530. Simple enough. I rush to ship out the W3 on Monday afternoon, and tell him it should get to him by Saturday; he could track it via USPS. He PM's me back saying that he overslept and missed the post office hours, so he'll try to get the SE530 by Wednesday or Thursday, at the latest. I was grumpy about it, but I figure I'll let him slide; it seems like he has a busy work schedule.

At the tail end of the Thursday night, I ask him if there's any update to him shipping out the SE530. I get a reply early in the morning on Friday (my time 4:46AM), telling me he lost my address, and he wants to know what it is again, since he wants to get them out by the end of today. So I call him later on in the day (around 3PM, his time) and tell him what my address is. I start to get suspicious, because I had PM'd him my address before, and I saw no reason why he should delete any PMs regarding a current transaction.

Two hours ago, I saw him online, and shot him another PM asking for any update on the SE530. I waited for awhile, then refreshed the page; he went offline.

I just re-checked the PM he sent me that asked for my address again, and I noticed he used the old PM with the W3 tracking number on it. I checked, and the W3 was delivered to him yesterday morning.

My logical reasoning to this is that he was buying time to receive the Westone 3, and then decide for himself whether he likes it over his current IEMs. And here is where it could get hairy: what if he decides he doesn't. What is he going to do, say he doesn't want them after all and ship them back? Or what if he decides to keep them, and keeps sending me more excuses to delay the SE530 shipping until I give up (which I won't)?

This whole deal has been a frustrating cloud over my head, one I really don't need, and wish to resolve ASAP. This was a trade, and money wasn't involved, so it's not like I could file a Paypal claim on him. Any suggestions on what I should do, short of actually hiring somebody in his area to personally go to his door and make sure that the SE530s will be delivered to me?

Jun 20, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #5 of 412
I have to agree he isn't being responsive. Hard to know for sure but if you have his number, I would call him and confront him. Did you insure the Westones? If so, as a last resort you could contact the shipping company, file a complaint and let them investigate.

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #6 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by DocHamm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to agree he isn't being responsive. Hard to know for sure but if you have his number, I would call him and confront him. Did you insure the Westones? If so, as a last resort you could contact the shipping company, file a complaint and let them investigate.

Sadly no, I only have the minimum $100 protection on them. I figured this wouldn't be an exception to all my other past sales. And I don't think USPS could do anything about it anyway, since they already delivered the item.

And thanks for posting the FS ad. Since he is still in the game for trades, that means he's still capable of tricking other people as well. I'll post this thread in his FS thread right now.

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #8 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd start looking around for head-fiers in the area (sure there are lots) willing to stop by the address you mailed it to.. preferably bigger people..

I'm honestly considering that if things don't start clearing up soon.

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #10 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by ksu06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, yeah it seemed suspicious that he turned away a straight forward sale ...

I first proposed my Westone 3 for his SE530 + cash, but he told me he was flat-out broke. I guess he's still so broke that he can't afford to ship the SE530 to me after all.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #11 of 412
Wow this is indeed lame. I'm glad that all my straight trades have went well. I usually made sure they had several good feedback on here and also one other place ebay etc. I really hope this works out for you. Keep us updated

Ryan

Jun 20, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #12 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by FYDave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am ABSOLUTELY attached to my Shure SE530's. They're like a good friend who comes with me almost everywhere. I'd be pretty pissed if I ever lost them, broke them, or had them stolen. They're also one of the last things I'd sell if I was really strapped for cash at some point.

Heh.. that's kind of interesting..
his response to thread about 'emotional attachment to headphones'

Jun 20, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #13 of 412
You need to get your IEMs back. I wouldn't send someone over to rough him up or harass him as that would just give him a cause of action against you. I would demand that he send you back your materials and threaten him with criminal prosecution. This is wire fraud. Unlike many crimes, where there's a he said/she said version of what happened, you have communications in black and white, stuff that can be printed out and used by the police to charge him. Depending on the state, this may actually be a felony. For example, there are states where the theft of any item over $300 amounts to grand theft, a felony not a misdemeanor.

You need to take immediate - but legally defensible action - to recover your property. Forget about the trade. There is no trade. Right now, you need to demand the return of your property and use the threat of reporting him to Headfi and the authorities. Even if you have to pay for shipping yourself, as a C.O.D., it's better than being cheated out of a $300 to $500 pair of IEMs. I'm not a lawyer (anymore) nor is this legal advice. I don't know where you live or what law applies. I don't know where he lives or what law applies. For proper legal advice, call a lawyer, but do something.

Jun 20, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #15 of 412
Lets all pm him. That is terrible. The man has no conscience!
lets see his address and phone number.....

edit: i just pm'd him demanding he does what is right!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back