I've got $300. Help me spend it
Jun 20, 2004 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

BaboonGuy

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD-280s. I bought them for playing video games, because of the closed atmosphere and the excellent positioning. The 280s are also quite good at music, but not nearly as good as I want. It just doesn't sound lively enough, or something's missing when I listen with my 280s. Anyway:

I have $300, and need the best set of cans for listening to music. I was thinking the HD580 and a small amp (not built myself). Any other recommendations? I want something on the higher end, again, to make the music sound great and won't fatigue my ears (I have kind of sensitive ears).

Source will either be my laptop (probably not so good), or my desktop that has an Nvidia Soundstorm sound system. I listen to all kinds of music, classical, rock, rap, vocal stuff, techno etc. Oh and I don't really like phones that are really bassy because my ears really don't like a lot of bass.

Open/Closed doesn't really matter, whatever sounds best, although I suspect open will be what I get.

Thanks.

Jun 20, 2004 at 9:00 AM Post #2 of 13
Do you want open or closed cans? Do you want to use your PC as a source, or an iPod, or what?

Closed, check out the A900 ($200). Open, the Senn 580 will blow the 280s away, again at about $200. The A900 won't need an amp, I think the 580s will.

I wonder if something like a total bithead will do the job for you. Of course it's $270 or so, so it's kinda expensive... but there are cheaper things around that do a very similar job. To make a recommendation within your budget we'd have to know your source... so let us know
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2004 at 12:24 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by BaboonGuy
I have $300, and need the best set of cans for listening to music. I was thinking the HD580 and a small amp (not built myself). Any other recommendations? I want something on the higher end, again, to make the music sound great and won't fatigue my ears (I have kind of sensitive ears).

Save it brother, and run, run, run while you still can. go! NOW!
eek.gif

You should go audition in a local store and find a headphone you like.

Jun 20, 2004 at 2:43 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

I've got $300. Help me spend it

Don't sweat it, Pal !! Send the money to me, I can spend it for you.. Easy !
very_evil_smiley.gif

Just joking !! As 'Commando' said, let us know your source and the kind of music you listen to the most, and the importance of noise isolation while you listen to your music, and someone here can recommend a good way to blow your money !!

Jun 20, 2004 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Closed, check out the A900 ($200). Open, the Senn 580 will blow the 280s away, again at about $200. The A900 won't need an amp, I think the 580s will.

by commando

Another vote for hd580 at us$150. IMO since you have closed cans, you can opt for open cans to hear the airness and physical difference. Also sr225 would be my other choice since it doesn't really need amp.

Jun 20, 2004 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 13
Agree with BigD. The HD580 or SR225 and an amp is the way to go. You have a decent closed pair. Now see the wonders of open at this price point.

Was just at a meet that reminded me how wonderful the HD580/600/650 can sound with the right amp. Then again, the lower impendance SR225 (or even the MS1) or CD3K (and maybe A900) can sound so nice with less financially draining infrastructure.

Jun 20, 2004 at 6:10 PM Post #7 of 13
Source will either be my laptop (probably not so good), or my desktop that has an Nvidia Soundstorm sound system. I listen to all kinds of music, classical, rock, rap, vocal stuff, techno etc. Oh and I don't really like phones that are really bassy because my ears really don't like a lot of bass.

Open/Closed doesn't really matter, whatever sounds best, although I suspect open will be what I get.

Jun 21, 2004 at 5:04 AM Post #9 of 13
BaboonGuy, you're probably better posting answer to questions in a new post rather than updating your first post.

Consider the Sennheiser 555/595 as well. They're open, and the 595 is said to be comparable to the top of the line Sennheiser 650s (lets not get into the argument about that here though). They should be easy enough to drive from your PC, I think, but a better source would probably be the next thing i'd upgrade myself, before getting an amp. Someone who has the 595s might correct me on that though. If you're using a PC source you could go for the ChainTech card, a great price for a pretty good card. After that a pimeta or similar small amp would complete the system quite nicely. The more money you throw at it the better it'll sound, within reason, but I really do suggest auditioning things before you spend your hard earned cash on them - buy from retailers with a good return policy, or get a cheaper price at the 2nd hand forum here - no refund on that though
wink.gif

Jun 21, 2004 at 9:18 AM Post #10 of 13
Actually, I've decided the main use of these headphones will be trance/techno/classical, instrumental stuff. Again, too much bass = bad for me, tight and deep is fine though. I might be also willing to spend another $50 to get an external Audigy 2 card for my laptop, that worth it you guys think?

Jun 21, 2004 at 12:05 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst
Maybe the Grado SR-325??? I currently using it without an amp, but I think it sounds better than the A900 from my memory.

Now what amp should I get?

i have a ra-1 and so far so good,

as far as buying $300 from the 280's...well thats the exact thing that got me into the headfi seen. 280's sucked the monkey butt so i went 325's and never regretted a day after.....

where are you located?
I cant stress the point of headphone meets enough...youll get so much advice on anything and everything plus youll get to listen to a variety of stuff and not have a salesmen next to you.

also look into the DIY amps, i think diy in gemeral is a great way to get into and learn so much about the sudio thing. if your not into it yet, Ipod studio has this diy kit/lesson avail for cheap....im in it

Jun 21, 2004 at 2:02 PM Post #13 of 13
perhaps u shuld forego the idea of an external audigy2 and look for a different external soundcard or perhaps check out the headroom bithead. it can be easily transported and does not require drivers, making it easy to switch back and forth between ur laptop and desktop. i have the nvidia soundstorm, and it doesnt compare to the chaintech av-710 if u were considering upgrading ur soundcard JUST for your desktop. also, using onboard sound, u can hear a lot of interference. all those crazy currents and fan noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back