I've Got $150, Help me choose an amp?
Mar 23, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #16 of 40
Well I can't find many reviews on the new Total AirHead. So if you guys could tell me or set up a link that would be very helpful. Also, which op-amps do you think have the most 'synergy' with the Sennheiser HD-555?

Thanks,
Kevin.

Mar 23, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #17 of 40
Well they did just come out. My Total BitHead was in the first wave of shipments, and it just arrived a couple of days ago.

Mar 23, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #18 of 40
I think you should also look into the Z-Audio Lambda. Excellent sound, multiple options, the builder, Ty, is a pleasure to work with, and last but not least, one word...op-amp rolling! My only caveat with it is that it is a little big (just north of being portable...about the same size as a SR-71). Other than that, SQ is wonderful and some people thought it compared favorably against the SuperMacro 3 and SR-71.

Mar 23, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin1592
WOW! If the Total Airhead can compete with the AE-1 and Hornet,

The jury is out on this one...since the Total Airhead is too new and not many people have heard it. You'll just have to take Tyll's word on it that it sounds competitive with the other quality portable amps

Mar 23, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #20 of 40
Wowie, I was intrested in Z-Audio, but I sent an E-mail to Ty, about a week ago and I haven't heard back, I tried another e-mail, and he still hasn't answered. So maybe you could answer my question. When he adds the optional DC jack, does he also include the wall-wart? Thanks Wowie. Oh, and if you guys could give me some suggestions about which op-amps are best with the Sennheiser HD-555.

Thanks,
Kevin.

Mar 24, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #21 of 40
Kevin,

If that Pimeta quote doesn't include a descent wall wart you'll be looking at close to $250 going that route - not necessarily bad but worth thinking about various options - at that price you could buy a new headroom mobile and another descent headphone
icon10.gif

I'd still love to know if the mobile x-feed has been re-worked along with the mico or is the same or similar to the micro's - anyone?

Mar 24, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #23 of 40
Yeah well, I don't think I'm going to get that Pimeta from MisterX anymore, because he doesn't supply cables, so if I had to buy a RCA to mini cable, that would be $70
mad.gif
. So I guess my next best bet is the new Total Airhead. The only thing I don't like about the total airhead, is the optional power supply is only 9v, which sucks because when I want to get new headphones with a higher impendance, I won't be able to drive them. Is that true?

Mar 24, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #24 of 40
Keep an eye out on the for sale portions of this board for a little dot II tube amp, they can usually be found for 100-120 shipped, leaving your plenty left for an interconnect and even some left over for a CD or two. The sound is supposed to be very good at the price, they are supposed to be a bit better then RS Hornets, which cost three times the price. I actually bought one recently and am waiting for it to ship here. Just thought you might have liked a cheaper alternative to the Pimeta!

Catch you later,
Id

Mar 24, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #26 of 40
Thank you Idsynchrono and Mrarroyo. Idsynchrono, when you get the LD 2 could you please send me a PM with your thoughts of it. I first considered it, but then descided that it wouldn't be very transportable, especially if I wanted to travel. But if it really is as good or almost as good as the hornet, I will certainly add it to my growing list. I am currently trying to look up the XM3, but am having trouble. If you guys could link me a thread, that would be helpful. Thanks!

Kevin.

Mar 24, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #28 of 40
IIRC the new Airhead is very close to the Micro Amp in sound. I own a Micro Amp and all I can say is that it is wonderful in every aspect. The build quality is good as hell. And the sound is excellent also. It makes the music sound very natural and gives you an excellent soundstage. If the new Airhead is similar to the Micro Amp in sound, I'll say go for it.

Just my piece of salt.
701smile.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #29 of 40
Hyamaiata, do you have both the HeadRoom Micro and HeadRoom Total Airhead? And what headphones are you using. If you could, could you eithier post or PM me with some of the pros and cons of the Airhead. Thanks

Mar 24, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #30 of 40
I just own the Micro Amp but I've heard the Airhead is very close in sound. Right now I'm just using an AKG K 26 P with it. Even being a cheap, closed, portable headphone, the Micro makes it sound very good. The pair of serious headphones I plan to use it with is the AKG K 701 which will hopefully arrive next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back