I've gone Grado, but have store credit...
Jun 20, 2008 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

spronkey

100+ Head-Fier
I finally found myself some Grados - unfortunately the people I purchased them off sent me a pair of SR-60s instead of the SR-80s I ordered and now have $26US store credit.

Now I have a conundrum - what do I buy? I love the warmth and presentation of the SR-60s, and I find them rather comfortable (who would have thought!?). However, they are a weee bit bass-shy and don't resolve quite as much detail and separate as my Senn 280 Pros or Philips 895s. They also don't have the same sort of soundstage. (As a side note, Philips SHP-895s are surprisingly Grado-like, warm and just as punchy, but with a big soundstage and velour pads!)

I'm torn between a pair of SR-80s and a pair of SR-225s. Obviously the 80s are much cheaper, and I've read have more bass (yay), but are slightly brighter than the 60s (hmm... not so yay). The SR-225s require an adaptor for most of my listening sources (ipod, NAD c521i/320bee combo, hp out on macbook, hp out on ogi z560thx->pc).

Just how much better do the 225s sound? Bassier? Brighter? Is soundstage a lost cause on SR-series Grados? Are my sources/amps going to get any kind of value out of the 225s over the 80s? Are the 225s better constructed (the 60s are somewhat cheap-feeling!) or do they have a fancier headband?

So torn!! Help me head-fi!

Jun 20, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by spronkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I finally found myself some Grados - unfortunately the people I purchased them off sent me a pair of SR-60s instead of the SR-80s I ordered and now have $26US store credit.

Now I have a conundrum - what do I buy? I love the warmth and presentation of the SR-60s, and I find them rather comfortable (who would have thought!?). However, they are a weee bit bass-shy and don't resolve quite as much detail and separate as my Senn 280 Pros or Philips 895s. They also don't have the same sort of soundstage. (As a side note, Philips SHP-895s are surprisingly Grado-like, warm and just as punchy, but with a big soundstage and velour pads!)

I'm torn between a pair of SR-80s and a pair of SR-225s. Obviously the 80s are much cheaper, and I've read have more bass (yay), but are slightly brighter than the 60s (hmm... not so yay). The SR-225s require an adaptor for most of my listening sources (ipod, NAD c521i/320bee combo, hp out on macbook, hp out on ogi z560thx->pc).

Just how much better do the 225s sound? Bassier? Brighter? Is soundstage a lost cause on SR-series Grados? Are my sources/amps going to get any kind of value out of the 225s over the 80s? Are the 225s better constructed (the 60s are somewhat cheap-feeling!) or do they have a fancier headband?

225's you won't be sorry!!! Rock & Roll

Jun 20, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 12
The SR-80's are definitely more bass lean than the SR-225's, and arguably on par with the SR-60's in terms of brightness (there really isn't much of a difference between them). Personally, if you're primarily looking for a warmer presentation and tighter low-end, the SR-225's are a no-brainer; but don't expect them to resolve any more detail than your SR-60's, as that's simply not where their value lies.

Jun 20, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #4 of 12
I find the Grado lineup to have an in family reference point.

The SR60 is the little brother to the RS1

SR80, Sr225 and RS2 are kin (darker)

Sr125 and SR325i are similiar as well. (brighter)

The difference, imho, in Grado as you progress up the ladder is subtle but noticeable. They get more refined, exhibit better extension and sometimes an improved soundstage ( not a strength of Grado in the least though).

Of all the current Grado family, save the GS1000, the MS2i with flats is the sweet spot for me.

Jun 20, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

You could always get the SR225 reterminated to a 1/8 in. connector.

Jun 20, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by shomie911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could always get the SR225 reterminated to a 1/8 in. connector.

... or buy a $1 adapter at Radioshack

Jun 20, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... or buy a $1 adapter at Radioshack

If you read his post, he implies that using an adapter is a disadvantage to him, so I suggested that it is possible to change the 1/4in. plug to 1/8in. for portable use.

Jun 21, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #8 of 12
Yeah, I don't particularly want to hang an adaptor on my macbook or iPod - not so concerned about my PC system but yeah... I'm very careful with my equipment but I've had a minijack break clean-off before and it's a royal pain to get out of the socket!

So the 225's aren't really all that more detailed than the 60's? As in they can't separate instruments and sounds more? The problem I have with the 60s is that listening to tracks like Split Enz - One Step Ahead (an old New Zealand band from the 80's - excellent stuff), the vocals sort of mash-in with the guitar riffs. It's cleaned up a little bit with break in but not a lot.

How much darker are the 225s? Is the high-end still there just smoother? I find that the 60's can be a little fatiguing with some artists (Red Hot Chilis, anyone?).

Jun 21, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Yeah, I don't particularly want to hang an adaptor on my macbook or iPod - not so concerned about my PC system but yeah... I'm very careful with my equipment but I've had a minijack break clean-off before and it's a royal pain to get out of the socket!

So the 225's aren't really all that more detailed than the 60's? As in they can't separate instruments and sounds more? The problem I have with the 60s is that listening to tracks like Split Enz - One Step Ahead (an old New Zealand band from the 80's - excellent stuff), the vocals sort of mash-in with the guitar riffs. It's cleaned up a little bit with break in but not a lot.

How much darker are the 225s? Is the high-end still there just smoother? I find that the 60's can be a little fatiguing with some artists (Red Hot Chilis, anyone?).

I think the Red Hot Chili Peppers are fatiguing in general

Jun 21, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

As has been stated earlier, climbing the Grado ladder primarily gains you smoothness and a more refined presentation. I wouldn't exactly call the SR-225's dark, but their treble range is certainly less prevalent and peaky than that of the SR-60's - it's much easier to listen to heavier, sibilant music on the 225's.

Of course, the small Grado soundstage coupled with a naturally unresolving driver doesn't do much for the listener in terms of detail - with the arguable exception of the GS-1000's, all Grado's are simply a step behind in instrument separation and general resolution compared to the competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back