I've gone and done it
Mar 26, 2006 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Paragon

100+ Head-Fier
Well, it may have taken nearly five years, but it has happened. My first amp lives. Proof is below (I know the pic is not the best quality.. it was taken with a cell phone under neon lights) Started on it yesterday.

ampguts.jpg

I'm listening to it now through my computer. Slight background noise with a ground loop or something but since I am using a crappy cord for input and my room is horrible with noise, I'm pretty happy with it. Just need to wait for the correct caps to be delivered and box it up. Few grounding tweaks.
biggrin.gif

DC output was around 1mV and 5mv. Will have to check it again later.

May see about using an AC power supply as I would probably spend a fortune in batteries.

Next stop: The Dynalo.

Mar 26, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #5 of 5
Yeah, it's based off that one. I rather just think of it as an opamp based headphone amp with unique values. I just used some 3uF Solens for now. The 5.1uF Aeon's should be here in a week.

Sounds good as long as I don't touch it and don't turn it's volume pot up high. Poor thing has a slight ground loop issue or something and no case. I tried testing it without the volume pot but I think my PCDP headphone out was causing it to oscillate and there was major buzzing. It is tons better now with the pot.. not 100% cured but I can't do much at the moment when I'm using a crappy input cable.

Connection wires will be a lot shorter when it is housed and will probably use shielded cable when I find a place that has what I'm lookin for.

I am planning on putting a few RCA output jacks on one of the slots in the back of my computer for dedicated audio out for the amp. Does anyone know if I should have those jacks grounded and the audio output to the chassis or isolated and just have the audio ground to them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back