I've found my headphone series, I'm sold. MDR-V6
Dec 30, 2011 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

100+ Head-Fier
Now I've been around the forums lately mentioning my V6s for awhile, before I got them and after, and I gotta say. I've tried Grados. Not for me. I've tried Sennheisers. Nice, but not for me. I've tried Shures. Nice, but uncomfortable and not durably and just cant stack up to all the other points the V6 series has.

Now a lot of you guys on head-fi usually have a general consensus that the V6s are "nice, but nothing astronomical", and I guess I gotta agree with you. The sound quality is nice, but the Shure's have some better sound quality. So why do I love the V6s and am sold on them?

Firstly, they're comfortable as a satin cushion to me, even on stock pads, they just fit my ears perfectly for some reason, and I have a moderately large head and the extenders have NO problem fitting my head and MORE (I use the headband extenders on 5 & 6)

Second, yesterday I twisted the headband over itself, and tossed is a few feet into the wall and onto concrete. I picked em up, the little connector that holds the cup and headband together popped out, I popped it back in, and it's jsut like new! No scratches or pops or anything! I think that little connector popout was supposed to happen, almost like a crumple zone on a car to absorb impact! These things are tanks!

Third, they're portable. They fold up into a small nice package, and they're comfortable around my neck. The big chord isnt too much of a hassle for me and I've already taken advantage of it by being able to lsiten to music across the room from where my laptop sits because of the coil.

Forth, they double as earmuffs. In Canada. Nuff said.

Fifth, the isolation is PERFECT. Not so little that it lets in every little sound and I can walk without hering my footsteps and that it blocks out all the unimportant sounds, but not so much that it blocks out important sound and when people are trying to get my attention.

Sixth, the portability (already mentioned) is perfect in a way that I can run and the headphones stay on my head, and dont get in the way of me if I put the chord behind me (which is so easy with the single entry!)

I probably have more points as to why I love these headphones, but this IS the series for me! The sound signature is great! The bass isnt overly powerful, its present, prominent, and shows itself, but it doesnt boast and mud everything up. The treble twinkles like a star, and the clarity is like a bell!

Now I know I havent tried every headphone out there, but these things just plain are great! So a few questions.

1. What are the mods I can do to these headphones? I've already heard lots about the beyerdynamic velour pads, but people say it changes the isolation, which I dont want, and the stock pads are comfortable enough already. So what other mods can I do?

2. What are the other headphones in this series? I know of V600, V7506, and V7509. I've tried the V600 and it's nice, but not really for me... The bass is too overpowering in my opinion, it almost takes a big part of the stage. So what would be the logical step up from the V6s? With a similar sound signature but just plain better in every way (I wouldnt mind a gold plated plug :wink: Gotta keep away corrosion! ) , then what would be the step up after that in order? I guess can someone just give me the "Family tree" of the V6 line xD

3. For portable use, what would be the best amp, cables, DAC, etc. What accesories should I use on these with portability and cost in mind? I already have a Fiio E6 and it does boost the volume, which is nice. I dont really make much use of the other sound signatures the E6 can give as I love the signature the V6 naturally has.

Thanks guys! That's all for now :)

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 13

Quote:
Surely there are plenty of headphones out there that is a lot better in every way. But at this price it's hard to beat them!

Well obviously theres better headphones, but I want to keep in the MDR-V series as they seem to have nuclear warfare durability, great comfort, and I just love the rugged and utilitaristic design :) Theres not a lot of headphones in general that can deliver on all those fronts like the V6 does (obviously there are some that are better in certain fronts, but not without sacrificing some in another detail) or the V series.

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
1. What are the mods I can do to these headphones? I've already heard lots about the beyerdynamic velour pads, but people say it changes the isolation, which I dont want, and the stock pads are comfortable enough already. 

At B&H there is a kit of V6 with Pearstone Deluxe earpads. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/677534-REG/Sony_MDR_V6_Studio_Headphones_with.html

I don't know if they are really useful but it seems that they know from many years of selling equipment what suits what better.

Did you try Sony ZX-700? They are a bit more expensive and have a nice design. Why did you choose V-6 over 7506?

Dec 30, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
At B&H there is a kit of V6 with Pearstone Deluxe earpads. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/677534-REG/Sony_MDR_V6_Studio_Headphones_with.html

I don't know if they are really useful but it seems that they know from many years of selling equipment what suits what better.

Did you try Sony ZX-700? They are a bit more expensive and have a nice design. Why did you choose V-6 over 7506?

People said the 7506 is just the 6 but its a bit brighter with a less prominent bass. Not really exactly what i wanted.

Dec 30, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 13
I always thought the V6/7506 were the same headphones but the 7506 has a gold plated plug.

I just checked the specs and the FR on the 7506 is 10hz - 20khz. The V6 has a FR of 5hz - 30khz.

Regardless enjoy the headphones, they are one of my favorites for overall usability. You're definitely correct about their toughness .. I've had my same pair for 11 years now.

Dec 30, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 13
I tried the Beyer pads, but they definitely change the sound signature in a detrimental way. If you're looking to switch to velour pads, go with the Pearstones. I can't discern any difference in sound signature between the stock pads and the Pearstones. As for isolation, I can't tell if they leak out any more sound, but they don't leak in significantly more sound. I highly recommend the Pearstones.

As far as amplifiers go, I've only tried the MDR-V6 with the Fiio E7 and Fiio E10. With the E7, the Sonys sound nearly the same as with my ipod and onboard audio. But with the E10, the midrange sounds much more full (my biggest complaint with the Sonys). Previously, I stopped using the Sonys, but I'm really enjoying these headphones again now that I have the E10. They're probably my go-to headphones now because of their portability and durability. Try out the E10, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #9 of 13
Not going to disagree with you, but that's entirely subjective and based upon your own signature preference. I actually like how they sound with the velours.

I feel like I'm spamming at this point, but the V6 are all of what 90% of the world needs in a headphone.

Quote:
I tried the Beyer pads, but they definitely change the sound signature in a detrimental way. If you're looking to switch to velour pads, go with the Pearstones. I can't discern any difference in sound signature between the stock pads and the Pearstones. As for isolation, I can't tell if they leak out any more sound, but they don't leak in significantly more sound. I highly recommend the Pearstones.

As far as amplifiers go, I've only tried the MDR-V6 with the Fiio E7 and Fiio E10. With the E7, the Sonys sound nearly the same as with my ipod and onboard audio. But with the E10, the midrange sounds much more full (my biggest complaint with the Sonys). Previously, I stopped using the Sonys, but I'm really enjoying these headphones again now that I have the E10. They're probably my go-to headphones now because of their portability and durability. Try out the E10, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #10 of 13
I love the coiled chord, it always seems to stay coiled, and no, it doesnt pull my head in the slightest, it's not that heavy. Also, it makes it SOOOO much more usable!

Quote:
One more question. How do you find the coiled cord? Does it pull your head to one side because it's more heavy than a straight cord?

Also, I'll take a look at the Pearstones. Is there any other mods out there besides pads I can do?

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #11 of 13
You're right, there are people (such as yourself) who like the different signature of the Beyer pads. It's more accurate to say that it changes the sound signature in a way that I don't prefer over the pleather pads. The bass becomes larger, and the treble brighter, which makes the midrange even more recessed. For what it's worth, I put the Beyer pads on my sister's V6's and she likes them very much. But I was looking to make my headphones more comfortable without any other changes, and I think the Pearstone pads retain a sound signature that is very close to stock.

Quote:
Not going to disagree with you, but that's entirely subjective and based upon your own signature preference. I actually like how they sound with the velours.

I feel like I'm spamming at this point, but the V6 are all of what 90% of the world needs in a headphone.

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #12 of 13
How are the Pearstones for isolation? Any difference? ;o

Quote:
You're right, there are people (such as yourself) who like the different signature of the Beyer pads. It's more accurate to say that it changes the sound signature in a way that I don't prefer over the pleather pads. The bass becomes larger, and the treble brighter, which makes the midrange even more recessed. For what it's worth, I put the Beyer pads on my sister's V6's and she likes them very much. But I was looking to make my headphones more comfortable without any other changes, and I think the Pearstone pads retain a sound signature that is very close to stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back