I've been on a music kick lately...
Nov 1, 2004 at 5:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Xevion

500+ Head-Fier
I have been on an intense quest to get some more music for the past few weeks, and have made a few interesting new discoveries, and also picked up some good older stuff, but I thirst for more.

My collection is bloated enough that if I just say what I'm looking for, I will probably get responses of stuff I am quite famaliar with.

What am I looking for? A lot of different music. I do like stuff that is pretentuous and over the top most of the time, but I can enjoy simplistic music too.

I will say to not recommend any progressive metal unless it's something unknown or totally fantastic (It is my favorite genre), rap (blah), country (blah), or classical music (I have a good sized collection). I'm open to progressive rock suggestions, but my focus with that is finding anything by IQ (Only their latest album is easy to get in the US). I'm not really looking for death/dark/black metal, which I've had my fair share of in the past. Something that's more melodic (In Flames, Children of Bodom, etc) is okay to reccomend though
wink.gif

How about some industrial (In the vein of Skinny Puppy, Front 242, Funker Vogt, not stuff like Haujobb, Wumpscut - I like the more clean sounding industrial stuff)?

Perhaps some celtic rock, metal, stuff that is closer to New Age is good too - (Skyclad, Tempest Great Big Sea, Iona, Clannad)

Lately I've been listening to more classic stuff, and would like to dabble in that some more (Queen, Moody Blues, Rush, Pink Floyd's earlier stuff, Genesis, Iron Maiden, Gentle Giant). I don't like pop-rock stuff like the Beatles and The Guess Who.

Maybe someone knows of some trance that has a a tribal sound, particularly with chanty vocals? Furthermore, if it originated in the 92-97 range it's probably closest to when I heard the type of music I'm thinking of (The best I can come up with is the song Extol in the game Tetrisphere, but some Enigma fits into this too, and Solar Stone does also, but I have NEVER seen a Solar Stone album for sale anywhere, it might be time to try a P2P program for that). Or how about some trance that has a more dark sound (I like goa)

I find a lot of "indie rock" quite dull, but I do enjoy some. The best I've heard that fits into that category is probably The Secret Machines, whom are pretty damn good (They provide a proggy, spacey, Floydian sound)

Maybe some jam bands would be neat (Phish, Greatful Dead)

I'm pretty sure I've exhausted the futurepop genre, but if there is a minor group that can somehow match VNV Nation, I'm ears all open.

How about some vocal jazz? I like Diana Krall, and Katie Meula, but some more would be neat.

Some particularly jazzy rock could also be fun (A la Aquarium Rescue Unit, or for something older, Machavinsu Orchestra, or the strange, dadaist Magma, the proggy Gordian Knot, and stuff along those lines).

Music that trends more towards the experimental, and particularly quirky side is usually a good thing, whether within a genre, or just weird stuff (Ulver, Oingo Boingo, Prefuse 73.

I've also been listening to some Massive Attack, but I don't seem to like Portishead as much. How about some trip-hop with a bit more pizzaz to it? Some of Plaid's stuff may qualify here, but I know their music quite well.

So, anything new or old worth listening to?
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2004 at 2:42 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xevion
I've also been listening to some Massive Attack, but I don't seem to like Portishead as much. How about some trip-hop with a bit more pizzaz to it?

Its so nice to see someone that prefers Massive Attack to Portishead... as for trip hop recommendations, I think my posts in this thread pretty much covers my suggestions.

I also highly recommend the following artists:
DJ Spooky
Xploding Plastix
Ulrich Schnauss
Wax Poetic
Quantic Soul Orchestra
Koop
Cinematic Orchestra
Lemon Jelly
The Notwist
Silent Poets

Nov 1, 2004 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 8
The Boredoms. A band I assumed I wouldn't like, but I've discovered their pretty good (I'm about ten years too late). Punk rock like only the Japanese can do.

Nov 1, 2004 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 8
How about something that might be described as progressive indie rock? A little along the lines of your Secret Machines in that they do have a certain amount of that spacey sound. This one might take a few listens to really soak in since they do harken back to earlier times with lots of Police influence in the dark but melodic punk sense. And not too far removed from old school mid 90s emo like Sunny Day Real Estate, but not nearly as whiney. Police meet Modest Mouse with the drummer from Appleseed Cast? But there are still hints of that Three Mile Pilot heritage they share with Black Heart Procession (another huge favorite of mine). Still, the first listen might go by without too much really sticking. But a couple more listens and the individual songs all start to blossom and then snake into your brain. Hard to believe that the bulk of this was recorded in a bedroom and a spare room because it sounds so damn good. Very nice mix with lots of great vocal harmonizing and shimmering guitars. Seems like the best thing they've done yet. Beautiful flow and nearly every song has a lot going for it. Totally love the aggressive "AFK" album closer, with the pounding drums and shout along lyrics that convey the album title in the chorus - kind of like Isaac Brock and his Modest Mouseketeers, especially in that megaphone-enhanced backing vocal track...

Release....
Protect. Embrace. Engulf.
Remember the summer in Abaddon.
Protect. Enslave. In love.
Remember the summer in Abaddon.

Getting close to album of the year for me - top 5 for sure.

BTW, you guys have way too many stickys here. Kind of irritating to click on the page and then have to scroll down a ways just to see the first post. Guess I must be in the minority.

Nov 1, 2004 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 8
philodox - Thanks for the recommendations, I will look in to a few of them (no way will I get through all of them in the near future)

Quote:

How about something that might be described as progressive indie rock? A little along the lines of your Secret Machines in that they do have a certain amount of that spacey sound. This one might take a few listens to really soak in since they do harken back to earlier times with lots of Police influence in the dark but melodic punk sense. And not too far removed from old school mid 90s emo like Sunny Day Real Estate, but not nearly as whiney. Police meet Modest Mouse with the drummer from Appleseed Cast? But there are still hints of that Three Mile Pilot heritage they share with Black Heart Procession (another huge favorite of mine). Still, the first listen might go by without too much really sticking. But a couple more listens and the individual songs all start to blossom and then snake into your brain. Hard to believe that the bulk of this was recorded in a bedroom and a spare room because it sounds so damn good. Very nice mix with lots of great vocal harmonizing and shimmering guitars. Seems like the best thing they've done yet. Beautiful flow and nearly every song has a lot going for it. Totally love the aggressive "AFK" album closer, with the pounding drums and shout along lyrics that convey the album title in the chorus - kind of like Isaac Brock and his Modest Mouseketeers, especially in that megaphone-enhanced backing vocal track...

How emo-like? I can't stand anything resembling pop punk (Blink 182, Good Charlotte), or emo. A little bit of "normal" punk sound I can stand (I like one punk group - The Cardiacs, whom are a crazy prog-punk group, if you like music that is totally all over the place, they are pretty damn cool). If there is more than a passing resemblance, I will not be able to stand it at all, it's like other people's aversion to growly vocals, operatic vocals. I'm also not a Modest Mouse fan at all. And it seems you forgot to name the group you are talking about, that would certainly help.

If they lean more towards the meandering proggy style, it's worth a shot.

I am famaliar with A Perfect Circle and Tool, I'm quite ambivalent with regards to both of them.

Nov 1, 2004 at 10:26 PM Post #8 of 8
Well, I have a friend that would like this quite a bit
tongue.gif

Nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't do anything for me either. My friend will benefit though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back