I've been invited to join my school's chapter of business honor society thingamawhatits
Feb 25, 2010 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Kirosia

Headphoneus Supremus
I got a letter my state college inviting to join the "International Business Honor Society, Delta Mu Delta". Gotta pay like $85, and will supposedly make my blank resume look a little less pathetic. I googled them, and it seems it was started by some smart dudes for other smart dudes, but then they were forced to allow anyone in bare-bones accredited schools to join (i.e. mine). Hell their website sells apparel and trinkets. So I should I consider this or will I just be falling for an old age con?

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #2 of 11
Why would you spend 85 bucks to join these bunch of boring people who clearly just want your money, not your body?
If it was me I'd rather buy a few tins of Milo, some bread, nice ham, and maybe with the left over I'll go watch a movie. Much better way to spend my money. Eating a nice ham sandwich in a cinema while drinking cold Milo from your thermos.

Dont be fooled by those money hungry smart people, my friend (I guess we all do by having bank accounts). They just wanna rip you off so that they can buy brand new calculators.

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #3 of 11
Sound like a con to me. What's the $85 payment for? Sound like the Who's Who in America book. You're invited to add your name to the book for a fee, you write your own blurb for the book and then you buy the book along with all the other conned people who paid the fee and wrote their blurb.

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #4 of 11
The money is for a lifetime membership, a pin, and cord for wearing at graduation. Also perhaps some sort of sexual act.

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would you spend 85 bucks to join these bunch of boring people who clearly just want your money, not your body?
If it was me I'd rather buy a few tins of Milo, some bread, nice ham, and maybe with the left over I'll go watch a movie. Much better way to spend my money. Eating a nice ham sandwich in a cinema while drinking cold Milo from your thermos.

Dont be fooled by those money hungry smart people, my friend (I guess we all do by having bank accounts). They just wanna rip you off so that they can buy brand new calculators.

I just pictured your avatar in a movie theater eating a ham sandwich. Damn funny!
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #6 of 11
Definitely wouldn't do it. That is not going to make your resume look any better. Not sure if your school as clubs, but it will look the same on your resume and they are usually free. Any work experience will look even better, plus you get paid!!!

Feb 25, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #7 of 11
Delta Mu Delta, huh?

Sound like a bunch of calorie conscious men on Vespas who like 'do' photograph with old rangefinders and carry them in sassy Crumpler camera bags. Will there be hazing? Sounds like it. I suspect your fraternity brothers intend to make you walk the gauntlet and smack your tushy until it looks like a bifurcated cherry tomato. $85 is a steal for all that.

Feb 25, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The money is for a lifetime membership, a pin, and cord for wearing at graduation. Also perhaps some sort of sexual act.

Why do you want to have sexual activity with a bunch of perverted dudes with thick glasses?
But if I had to guess, they'd probably take your money and then violate you and then run away.

Feb 25, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #9 of 11
First, I would check to see if they have any social gatherings or events.

The whole point of joining a club like this is to network and maybe someone might help you get a job after you graduate.

85 dollars as a college student is alot of money to spend. But if you can make some friends and talk about some similar career goals or interest, then it might be worth it.

But blindly joining a club where you don't get a chance to meet any of the members, it would be a waste of money.

Feb 25, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #10 of 11
I've never heard of Delta Mu Delta, but many of these business honors societies are VERY worthwhile

I joined Beta Alpha Psi, the Accounting and Finance honors society. It held events almost weekly, in which we would get private meetings with recruiters and partners of various firms, special career services assistance, and most importantly, tons of time to network with various companies' representatives before the bulk of the school population got to them.

It was through this experience that I landed my first internship with a big 4 auditor

Feb 25, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Delta Mu Delta, huh?

Sound like a bunch of calorie conscious men on Vespas who like 'do' photograph with old rangefinders and carry them in sassy Crumpler camera bags. Will there be hazing? Sounds like it. I suspect your fraternity brothers intend to make you walk the gauntlet and smack your tushy until it looks like a bifurcated cherry tomato. $85 is a steal for all that.

I suspect you're already a member, or really really want to be.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back