I've been gone for two years. Are grados still the undisputed king of rock?
Jun 30, 2014 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

FlobHobNob

100+ Head-Fier
I am going to purchase a new pair of cans for rock music, but I wasn't sure if something new has come out that can rival the grados or even trump them when it comes to said music. 

Edit: I've noticed a new generation of grados has been released. What are the differences between those and the older versions.

Jul 1, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #2 of 9
Grado is still king, last I checked. The new Grado E series is the i series replacement and was literally released just about a week or so ago, so you might have to wait on the reviews to know what the difference is, or you can ask Grado directly through their website or on their facebook page Grado Labs.

Jul 8, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #3 of 9
Grado's are incredible for rock....I will not say undisputed....but I will say that for the price you can get an entry level pair....that they will be very,very hard to beat.

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 9
I am going to purchase a new pair of cans for rock music, but I wasn't sure if something new has come out that can rival the grados or even trump them when it comes to said music. 

Edit: I've noticed a new generation of grados has been released. What are the differences between those and the older versions.

Grado PS1000 has excellent volume of bass (with quite a bid of mid-bass), which has tremendous impact but a .little loose. The Grado e is apparently "better" but similar to the old Grado.

You can try the LCD2 or HE-500 for tighter bass, less mid bass and a less weighty but more dynamic and different impact.

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 9
  Grados don't seem to be talked about too much on these forums.

Visit the Grado thread  
smile.gif

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #8 of 9
I keep my RS-1s for portable use but I've gone to HE-6s for main rig listening. I'm mostly a 50s-80s rock listener. The RS-1s have that classic V shaped sound. I do think you can get about the same sound out of the Grado 225s for less.

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #9 of 9
I keep my RS-1s for portable use but I've gone to HE-6s for main rig listening. I'm mostly a 50s-80s rock listener. The RS-1s have that classic V shaped sound. I do think you can get about the same sound out of the Grado 225s for less.

I would agree with this statement for the most part....I just finished listening to a playlist with RS1i last night and 225i this morning...first with flats....now with L's

Where the detail and synergy and even a little bit of speed of the RS1...listening thru tubes is what makes the RS1 for me.....its an incredible can, especially the more you listen.

That being said...I am now rockin the 225i   
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back