Ive been Dream Theateratized.
Mar 12, 2005 at 8:59 PM Post #46 of 72
Yknow I think I changed my mind about my favorite.... Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence is now #1, because I believe it's more well-rounded of a sound than Train of Thought. Train of Thought is pretty much pure metal
biggrin.gif
Cool, but not that great if you're looking for an "ecclectic" listening experience. Plus you get 2 discs worth of material. yummy.

Mar 20, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #47 of 72
Lol thats kinda funny, I think the more ..hm...whats the word... older (time wise, not age wise) DT fans seem to agree that Awake and I&W are a lot better musically than ToT and Six Degrees. While I like all 4, my favourites have always been awake and I&W. It seems that after doing the Liquid Tension stuff, their DT work has become a lot more... technical, rather than musical. Just IMO of course.

Mar 20, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #48 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by romesaz
Lol thats kinda funny, I think the more ..hm...whats the word... older (time wise, not age wise) DT fans seem to agree that Awake and I&W are a lot better musically than ToT and Six Degrees. While I like all 4, my favourites have always been awake and I&W. It seems that after doing the Liquid Tension stuff, their DT work has become a lot more... technical, rather than musical. Just IMO of course.

I believe you may be confusing talent/skill/proficiency with "technical music".

For example.... Liquid Tension Experiment is "technical" music, for the most part.

But I find I enjoy the most recent release of a band more than all past releases about 85% of the time... because usually their skillset as an artist has improved since the last album came out. So whatever they wanted to get across with the song, they get it across better.

I see what they were trying to accomplish with albums like Images and Words. But back then (keep in mind it's one of their first albums) they just weren't good enough to make it suck me in. I demand high quality, that's the type of person I am. If it's not up to snuff, I toss it out.

For example... the song Vacant and some songs from Six Degrees remind me of certain tracks from the old old DT albums. But these newer tracks have so much more life, so much richer singing in them. It's blatantly obvious that the musicians have a much better idea of what they were doing on the newer albums. Such is life.

Just my 2cents.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2005 at 7:19 AM Post #50 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
im selling the cds, they werent really my thing.

good call
wink.gif
i'll keep them around... just in case i come around later on. who knows, we'll see.

Mar 20, 2005 at 2:24 PM Post #52 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
I believe you may be confusing talent/skill/proficiency with "technical music".

For example.... Liquid Tension Experiment is "technical" music, for the most part.

But I find I enjoy the most recent release of a band more than all past releases about 85% of the time... because usually their skillset as an artist has improved since the last album came out. So whatever they wanted to get across with the song, they get it across better.

I still disagree. The reason being, because I find their earlier albums more musical, and melodical, whereas their more recent albums i find still more technical. Sure, the guys build up their skills while playing, but even when they started, they had enough still to get their ideas across. This is of course just my opinion. I just find that their newer stuff can bore me sometimes because of how repetitive it sounds.

my 2 cents :p

Mar 20, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #53 of 72
I've loved DT since I saw them last year with Yes.

I&W is a great album, but at that point in their careers, the 80's hair metal influences were a bit too obvious for some people.

I don't much care for Awake (or Change of Seasons).

Falling into Infinity is their most underrated release - I like it more and more with each listening.

The real reason to like DT, though, is the Scenes from a Memory-Six Degrees-Train of Thought "trilogy". While each is strikingly different from the others, they share many common themes. And if anyone doubts that they were meant as a trilogy, listen to how the end of SFAM blends into the beginning of Six Degrees, and how the end of Six Degrees similarly blends into the beginning of ToT.

ToT is underrated - I think it is one of the all time great metal albums.

Not really much of a follower of their live albums, except for Live at Budokan - I've never seen a better live rock DVD. During the hoidays it was used at Best Buy nationwide as a demo disk.

Nothing elicits stong opinions like a DT thread! Not sure what it is about this band that is so polarizing: One either loves of hates them; similarly one loves or hates individual albums within their body of work.

Also check out DT drummer Mike Portnoy's work with Neil Morse (essentially Christian rock - although Portnoy is Jewish - but still great Prog-rock in the Spock's Beard vein), and TransAtlantic. That will lead you to Spocks Beard, The Flower Kings (my favorite of them all), Marillion, etc., etc., etc. DT blurs the line between metal and prog like no other band.

Mar 21, 2005 at 5:51 AM Post #55 of 72
I am getting a little older and none of my freinds listen to this type of music nor am I exposed to it from the media, I have been reading this thread and others with interest and because of it I have gotten Six degrees,Train of thought, and Scenes from a memory by Dream theater and Undertow, and Lateralus by Tool. I think it is great stuff and thank you all.
PwM

Mar 21, 2005 at 11:52 AM Post #56 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by PwM
I am getting a little older and none of my freinds listen to this type of music nor am I exposed to it from the media, I have been reading this thread and others with interest and because of it I have gotten Six degrees,Train of thought, and Scenes from a memory by Dream theater and Undertow, and Lateralus by Tool. I think it is great stuff and thank you all.
PwM

Now you just need to buy:
Tool - Ænima
DT - Awake
DT - Images & Words

Mar 21, 2005 at 12:30 PM Post #57 of 72
edit

Mar 21, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #58 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
Nothing elicits stong opinions like a DT thread! Not sure what it is about this band that is so polarizing: One either loves of hates them; similarly one loves or hates individual albums within their body of work.

The last three posts illustrate my point.

Mar 21, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #59 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by backdrifter
Right.

"To those who understand, I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand, take me as I am "

That's a heavy-metal lyric? That's so lame.

biggrin.gif

It took me a loooooong time to be able to enjoy As I Am. When it was on the radio I absolutely HATED it. I was like "Wow, this song is so lame." What made me like the ToT album was Stream of Consciousness, then This Dying Soul. Eventually I got to the point where I could respect the album as a cohesive whole.

I don't think Stream of Consciousness copies from Tool, btw. *shrug*

Besides if you're a Tool fanboy, obviously you won't have biased opinions
biggrin.gif

I like DT because it's kind of like a new Queen, with some prog/metal in the mix. I love Queen, so I really don't mind the melodrama aspects of DT.

Mar 22, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #60 of 72
man, I've been a 'fan' of DT for years. My first encounter was Scenes. In the end tho, the only album that's any good to me is Awake. The writing skills left with Kevin Moore or something. The guys have close to zero creativity IMO. They're basically like "let's do something that sounds like ....(insert old-fashoined metal or prog band), and then something like ...(insert 70s prog band) etc etc.

anyhoo, that's the opinion of a big Kevin Moore, Chroma Key and OSI fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back