I've been away for a while ... closed-back HD600/HD650 soundalikes?
Jan 13, 2015 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Edoardo

500+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I'm back! 
beyersmile.png

And my reference rig would still be my Lehmann clone + my Sennh HD650s!

Why?
beyersmile.png

I would need you guys and girls to suggest me a pair of closed-back, over-ear headphones for portable use, - "unamplified"!!! - (i.e. to be used with a smartphone in a library) that I would be able to bear.

Please mind that closed-back HP's are generally way too fatiguing to me. After 20 minutes or so, I find myself taking them off in some semi-conscious state of utter annoyment
angry_face.gif
 my ears hurting sometimes.
frown.gif

For your reference, I've owned, among others, a pair of Shure SRH440 and a pair of AT ATH M50.
I sold the M50 after a short period. Too colored, too low-mids. I still own the SRH440 but they do not satisfy me.
I need something brighter, something a little more detailed. Something airy-ier, with a larger stage. And. Not. fatiguing.
frown.gif

Something that gets on well, say, with string instruments and female voices. And guitars of course.

Budget: really, around 175€. Happy if close to 150€. Absolutely under 200€

( I was thinking about trying the AKG k545 ... Would you recommend them? )

Thank you all!

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 8
Hmm - I'm a little confused by a couple of things. Typically (at least in my experience) "fatiguing" refers to brighter,edgier headphones. Warmer headphones are typically found to be less fatiguing. However, you also say that you want something brighter, more detailed and airier than the SRH440 & M50. My concern is that satisfying the latter will almost always make you more prone to the former. No?

Jan 14, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #3 of 8
Hmm - I'm a little confused by a couple of things. Typically (at least in my experience) "fatiguing" refers to brighter,edgier headphones. Warmer headphones are typically found to be less fatiguing. However, you also say that you want something brighter, more detailed and airier than the SRH440 & M50. My concern is that satisfying the latter will almost always make you more prone to the former. No?

Hi man, thanks for your answer

Actually, in my mind, fatiguing would mean just "tiring, exhausting, draining"... I've never associated it to any particular frequency range.
Just to closed-back headphones LOL. I think a flat headphone can be as annoying and tiring as a sharp one.

I think I need a little more transparency, a little more openness. Not a sharp headphone, but just to perceive some more air and chime.

cheers

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #4 of 8
You might want to have a look at the Audio Technica ATH-A900X. I prefer warmer headphones that are not so bright, and I found the A900X too bright for me - so maybe they would work for you? I have not heard the AKG K550, but that might be another possibility.

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 8
Sadly I don't really know of any closed-backs that are portable that fit what you want except possibly the Momentum Over-ears. The closest to the HD 650 I've heard in any closed-back regardless of portable or home-use is the Beyerdynamic DT 150(its a shame they are too bulky and ugly for portable use otherwise I would use them for portable myself as they aren't heavy and sound fine unamped), they sound unusually similar to the HD 650 and the thing is the DT 150 is not inferior to the HD 650 in terms of refinement, fidelity, etc., the thing is even less fatiguing than the HD 650 believe it or not. 

Jan 20, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #7 of 8
You might want to have a look at the Audio Technica ATH-A900X. I prefer warmer headphones that are not so bright, and I found the A900X too bright for me - so maybe they would work for you? I have not heard the AKG K550, but that might be another possibility.

Thanks. I don't know man, all the AT's I've tried have the low mids too colored to my ears.  
frown.gif

Jan 20, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #8 of 8
  Sadly I don't really know of any closed-backs that are portable that fit what you want except possibly the Momentum Over-ears. The closest to the HD 650 I've heard in any closed-back regardless of portable or home-use is the Beyerdynamic DT 150(its a shame they are too bulky and ugly for portable use otherwise I would use them for portable myself as they aren't heavy and sound fine unamped), they sound unusually similar to the HD 650 and the thing is the DT 150 is not inferior to the HD 650 in terms of refinement, fidelity, etc., the thing is even less fatiguing than the HD 650 believe it or not. 

In the end I think I will find myself spending 100 extra €uros for a pair of Momentum. Well, they do look cool, and are also mic'ed!!!

I still hope not to have to though. I don't spend that kind of money in stuff I throw around and that carry in a bag with lots of other stuff etc. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back