I've adopted a cat
Sep 14, 2005 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Julz

500+ Head-Fier
Just got back from the cat shelter.

I've adopted a black and white 3 yr old male called "Charlie". He seems really laid back and mellow and was really affectionate with me. He was found just wandering the streets, following anyone who remotely looked like they'd feed him.

Anyway, he's coming to his new home tomorrow.

One question for the cat people out there.... we have the exterminator coming next saturday to do a roach spray. Anyone know if the stuff they use is cat friendly ?

Sep 14, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 26
I hear that. I had a cat for 18 years as a kid and she definitely owned me
tongue.gif

Sep 14, 2005 at 2:02 AM Post #6 of 26
most wont spray for roaches, but lay bait. The areas that roaches reside are not those that cats will either fit in or like to be. Roaches live in hot and moist areas that are pretty tight.

The pest control person will know very well how to treat without endangering your cat......unless your cat is actually a cockroach......Then you're screwed.

B

Sep 14, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #10 of 26
Congrats on the cat, especialy nice because many folks don't want to adopt older cats.

As for spraying, yes, check with your exterminators. If they want to "bomb" the place, you would likely want/need to segregate the cat somewhere. We recently did this for ants, and they recommended we keep the cats set aside in a room or two that wasn't being bombed.....

Sep 14, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikemonkeys
most wont spray for roaches, but lay bait

actually this guy comes once a month with a can of foul smelling gunk in an aerosole can that he sprays around the place. I'll ask him before he does anything if it'll harm the cat (or if he eats a poisoned roach, the cat that is, not the guy !)

The spraying of the apartments is not mandatory, and to be honest I've not seen many bugs, so if in doubt, I'll tell him I have my own pest control now...

Sep 14, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #12 of 26
I recently had a couple of apartments treated for cockroaches with some sort of new gel. It has no odour and apparently isn't as toxic as the spray. You might want to ask about it. The exterminator did say that if it didn't do the trick, he would have to spray. That was about a month ago and I haven't had any further complaints from the tennants.

Sep 14, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #13 of 26
My friend found a stray siamese/ragdool mix for me. I guess she was hanging out in the neighbor's trash looking kinda skinny. Took her to the vet the next day and she's been an absolute joy for the last few months. She (Kanga) is my first pet and is the cutest little thing I've ever seen.
cool.gif

Sep 14, 2005 at 8:34 AM Post #14 of 26
in austria our leftovers went' out every day to feed the strays

Sep 14, 2005 at 9:00 AM Post #15 of 26
I'd love to have a cat, but our dog doesn't agree. That and my husband was raised in the country where they let their cats have free range of the land, so now he has this idea that that's what _all_ cats want. I know that's not really true and many cats will be very happy in an apartment thank you very much, but there ya go. We'd also need a cat who didn't stress too much about a barking dog.

But this all reminds me of that Eddie Izzard routine about Pavlov.."Cat rang bell... I ate food.."
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back