I've a Qudelix 5k, will Cayin N3Pro make a difference?
Dec 24, 2020 at 8:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Lokiiami

100+ Head-Fier
I'm currently using Qudelix 5k with MEST and others from KZ iems. Will I be able to get more improvement from a Cayin N3pro? Thank you

Jan 28, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #2 of 5
Most bluetooth DAC/Amp including Qudelix 5k doesn't have dedicated amp circuit. Qudelix 5k uses ES9218P's internal amp. Good in theory, but for me I feel the sound is not full bodied. Doesn't matter driving IEM or headphone, the built-in amp doesn't work well, doesn't sound right.

USB dac dongle like Spectra X has dedicated amp chip, the sound is full, is perfect.
(however Spectra X uses old ES9018 dac chip, it's bass is not 'dense' enough, not realistic enough. perfect dac will be ES9218, ES9038 etc, with dedeicated amp chip)

Jan 28, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 5
Most bluetooth DAC/Amp including Qudelix 5k doesn't have dedicated amp circuit. Qudelix 5k uses ES9218P's internal amp. Good in theory, but for me I feel the sound is not full bodied. Doesn't matter driving IEM or headphone, the built-in amp doesn't work well, doesn't sound right.

USB dac dongle like Spectra X has dedicated amp chip, the sound is full, is perfect.
(however Spectra X uses old ES9018 dac chip, it's bass is not 'dense' enough, not realistic enough. perfect dac will be ES9218, ES9038 etc, with dedeicated amp chip)
This is good info.. was not aware of built in vs dedicated amp chip. Thank you.

Sep 12, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #4 of 5
I'm currently using Qudelix 5k with MEST and others from KZ iems. Will I be able to get more improvement from a Cayin N3pro? Thank you
I doubt it — or rather, the difference in sound quality will be entirely subjective in nature.

Why do I doubt it? First, the 5K can reach up to 4 Vrms in balanced mode (2 in SE); and second, the MEST doesn’t need anywhere near that much power to drive well. Having a dedicated amp unit is not required for this level of power, nor should an amp be held responsible for coloration.

Thus the differences heard, if actually tangible, come down to specific implementations and preferences of such.

The devices are also different markets entirely. The 5k is relative inexpensive and designed foremost as a portable headphone BT receiver. The N3 is a DAP that cost more than my gently-used iPhone XS..

A much more tangible SQ change would be adjust the EQ on the 5K, or roll some tips.. perhaps even customs.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #5 of 5
I doubt it — or rather, the difference in sound quality will be entirely subjective in nature.

Why do I doubt it? First, the 5K can reach up to 4 Vrms in balanced mode (2 in SE); and second, the MEST doesn’t need anywhere near that much power to drive well. Having a dedicated amp unit is not required for this level of power, nor should an amp be held responsible for coloration.

Thus the differences heard, if actually tangible, come down to specific implementations and preferences of such.

The devices are also different markets entirely. The 5k is relative inexpensive and designed foremost as a portable headphone BT receiver. The N3 is a DAP that cost more than my gently-used iPhone XS..

A much more tangible SQ change would be adjust the EQ on the 5K, or roll some tips.. perhaps even customs.
You are so right. Have bought and sold the Cayin and still keeping the 5k till today

Users who are viewing this thread

Back