iTunes won't reset delete file dialog
Feb 3, 2010 at 8:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Pageygeeza

100+ Head-Fier
I'm really hoping someone can help out with this. If I've posted in the section, sorry.

If you delete a song from iTunes you would normally get the dialog asking if you want to delete the physical file. In the past I never did and ticked the "never ask me again" box, but now I have to replace all my old ripped CD's and need to delete the old files to keep on track of everything.

I'm currently using iTunes 9.0.3.15 on Win 7 and have tried clicking the reset dialog warnings button, but has no effect. I've also renamed both the iTunes.prf files, (so I can restore them later if things go wrong.) And that also has no effect. I've trawled the net only to come across those two solutions, there must be someone around here who is really brainy and overcome the problem.
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. All files are contained within the iTunes folder.

Thanks in advance people.

Feb 3, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #2 of 5
Can you just delete the files by hand? If you REALLY want the option back, you'd have to find the Roaming/RoamingLocal/etc files, and delete them all.

Feb 3, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #3 of 5
Well, i just tried delete in iTunes and it brings up the box you are talking about, but there is no field where you can mark "never ask againg".. soo.. maybe you did it in an earlier version of iTunes (i am using a Mac btw, you are on win. so it might be different).

Try holding down key like ctrl, alt and shift while pressing the delete key, it might force iTunes to bring up the box.

And by this I mean 1 key at a time + the delete key - not all at once!

On Mac holding down these keys while doing an action slightly alters the action and since iTunes is a Mac program it is worth a try
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Try holding down key like ctrl, alt and shift while pressing the delete key, it might force iTunes to bring up the box.

Hmm, pressing them one by one only just deleted the entry. I pressed CTRL ALT SHIFT then DEL and it deleted it from the drive but didn't ask. :S

I'm considering uninstalling iTunes and re-installing it again. The library is kept intact isn't it?

Feb 3, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pageygeeza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, pressing them one by one only just deleted the entry. I pressed CTRL ALT SHIFT then DEL and it deleted it from the drive but didn't ask. :S

I'm considering uninstalling iTunes and re-installing it again. The library is kept intact isn't it?

Ye i knew that a button combination would be able to by pass the box you are trying to get it to display. I figured that maybe it would work the other way around in your case. I am sorry if I have caused trouble to your library.

I dont think that reinstalling iTunes would cause any errors to the library. It's that essentially the same as updating iTunes?

Just backup the library, and good luck
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back