iTunes V.S. Foobar2000: Smackdown.
Jan 25, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #77 of 91

Quote:
You might want to consider switching media programs. When this happened to me (iPod Nano + S:Flo 2), I switched from iTunes to MediaMonkey. MediaMonkey's free and it works really well for me. The only thing it doesn't do is video. I use VLC for video anyways, so it doesn't bother me. Besides Mediamonkey, you may want to conider J. River, but J. River is expensive (~$50).

JRiver Jukebox is free. It plays everything, converts, is able to output bit-perfect, has excellent inport and export functions, etc. I use it on my laptop and desktop. It just bugs you every now and then to upgrade to it's Media Center.

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #78 of 91

Quote:
Quote:
You might want to consider switching media programs. When this happened to me (iPod Nano + S:Flo 2), I switched from iTunes to MediaMonkey. MediaMonkey's free and it works really well for me. The only thing it doesn't do is video. I use VLC for video anyways, so it doesn't bother me. Besides Mediamonkey, you may want to conider J. River, but J. River is expensive (~$50).

JRiver Jukebox is free. It plays everything, converts, is able to output bit-perfect, has excellent inport and export functions, etc. I use it on my laptop and desktop. It just bugs you every now and then to upgrade to it's Media Center.

Thanks, I'll try it out.

Jan 27, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #79 of 91
hey guys, is there a thread or some recommendations for setting up Foobar's DSP stuff?

I'm having a hard time figuring out what plug-ins to add and enable.

Recommended setups would be awesome.  My stuff is in my sig.  Thanks, guys.

Jan 27, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #80 of 91
Well there's not really much to talk about.

For example I have a preset with the SoX resampler (to 44.1 kHz) on top, then bs2b (crossfeed), my work-in-progress EQ and finally the advanced limiter, which isn't really needed because I prevent clipping with replaygain beforehand, but it doesn't hurt to have it enabled.

Depending on which headphones I use I just load the corresponding preset (I love that feature).

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #81 of 91

Quote:
I like the simplicity of Foobar and how it's easy on system resources. The ASIO support doesn't hurt either. If I didn't need iTunes to sync to my iPod Touch, I wouldn't use it at all.

I made a thread about a few things that foobar can be customized to do. It included iPod/iPhone/iPad sync. Take a look:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/536003/ditch-itunes-get-foobar2000-and-tweak-it-to-your-liking

Also, here's a post with a config meant to play music with a wider soundstage:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/535667/what-are-your-player-settings#post_7230632

Jan 31, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #82 of 91

Quote:
Well there's not really much to talk about.

For example I have a preset with the SoX resampler (to 44.1 kHz) on top, then bs2b (crossfeed), my work-in-progress EQ and finally the advanced limiter, which isn't really needed because I prevent clipping with replaygain beforehand, but it doesn't hurt to have it enabled.

Depending on which headphones I use I just load the corresponding preset (I love that feature).

Many using upsampling using SoX have noticed a wider soundstage. I do it for that reason.

Jan 31, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #83 of 91
I’ve only just got into the Foobar2K / WASAPI combo - and I love it!
L3000.gif

iTunes > > >  
deadhorse.gif

Jan 31, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #84 of 91

Quote:
I’ve only just got into the Foobar2K / WASAPI combo - and I love it!
L3000.gif

iTunes > > >  
deadhorse.gif

Been using FB2K/WASAPI for a while now.  I agree it's great.  Foobar is a little confusing to configure at first and I guess that turns a lot of people off.  But it sure is worth it to make the initial effort required to figure it out, imo.  FB2k plus WASAPI plus my humble computer audio setup (in my sig) has really improved my quality of life. 

As for all things related to Apple, I guess I'm in the hater camp (no offense intended to anyone who loves the stuff). 

FF is one of my favs also.  It's the amazing plethora of cool extensions for it (such as the aforementioned BarTab), that make it so wonderful, imo. 

Love the way both apps (FB2k & FF) are so flexible and configurable by the user.

Jan 31, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #85 of 91
Agreed, harpua. I also use both foobar2000 and Firefox, they do share the ability to extend what they can do or improve the current features. But when compared, I do think foobar2000 does a better job as an audio player than Firefox as a browser. Though make no mistakes, I do enjoy some Firefox love
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #86 of 91

Quote:
Agreed, harpua. I also use both foobar2000 and Firefox, they do share the ability to extend what they can do or improve the current features. But when compared, I do think foobar2000 does a better job as an audio player than Firefox as a browser. Though make no mistakes, I do enjoy some Firefox love
wink.gif

That's because foobar2000 doesn't have as much competition. Though FF does have a bunch of awesome add-ons, No-Script is the one that keeps it afloat. If Chrome added No-Script, I think a large chunk (but not all) FF users would switch.

Jan 31, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #87 of 91
Despite NoScript being a popular Firefox addon, that is quite your opinion on the matter. I hardly believe a "large" chunk of Firefox's userbase would move to Chrome based on such thing. Firefox has enough (quality) addons that you'll eventually find one that will take you breakfast to bed.

Another recent little gem from Google was the fact that they publicly stated that they started censoring their Instand and Autocomplete services from their search engine. Which really makes one think about how much power such a corporation has these days... Search engine, web browser, email service, GPS assisted mapping service, DNS service, just to name a few. Do we really want gOOgle to know so much about every single thing we look for, what mails we trade, where we plan on going and through what paths...?

Alright, I'm sorry I went off topic.

Jan 31, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #88 of 91
I've been using foobar for about three years, but I recently switched to iTunes. Sure iTunes is slow and flawed (foobar is a much better player in general, I won't argue), but iTunes got some big advantages :wink:

1) iPhone + "Remote" app = Awesomeness

2) WASAPI support finally added for Windows 7 x64!

3) Smart Playlists are bliss

I'm not in love with iTunes, but I appreciate some of its qualities at least enough to use it everyday.    I got a decent computer (Xeon W3520 @4.5GHz / 12Gb G.Skill Trident DDR3-2000 / 3 x X25-M Postville (RAID-0) / Asus Xonar Essence STX (DAC)/ WooAudio WA6 / etc.) and it works pretty good.

Jan 31, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #89 of 91
I'm assuming you don't know about this little foobar2000 component: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=69664

And perhaps take a look at this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/536003/ditch-itunes-get-foobar2000-and-tweak-it-to-your-liking

But then again, to each their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back