itunes to offer 24bit lossless downloads
Feb 22, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #3 of 25
This is excellent. This means that the road is now paved and high res is full steam ahead. The writing has been on the wall for too long. What this means is that we will have an itune update very soon, which will support auto bit rate switching, etc. I wonder if this will also mean that the next generation of ipod's will also support high rez....
woooh!! I think I am moving forward too much... Go Libyans's.... 

Feb 22, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #4 of 25
Wow...I hope this is really the case.  I was just hoping for 16 bit lossless downloads...24 bit would be unreal!

Feb 22, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 25
I don't mean to sound like a naysayer, but this isn't going to be successful. I'm gonna bet on these higher res tracks will cost $2 a piece if Apple decides to follow through. Music is already expensive as it is, and I would never pay that for a single music track unless the band played it live right in front of me. Heck, I still think $1 is too much for a track.

Feb 22, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #6 of 25
I agree in the sense that the price of lossless downloads needs to not exceed the approximate price per track of CD's.  $2 per track blows the model for sure.  But $1.29 per track has been PROVEN by Apple to be successful, even for 256K AAC.  They can charge $1.29 per lossless track for sure - this keeps the price per track in line with CD.  Then they can lower the price of the lossy crap
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #7 of 25

Quote:
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/22/apple-reportedly-looking-to-offer-24-bit-music-files-in-itunes-store/

I never thought I'd see the day of 16bit lossless, let alone 24!

Does this mean all next gen Ipod, Ipad, Iphone etc... will be able to do 24 bit 96 playback via USb out or Airplay?  hmmm.  they prob gonna call it HDIpod

Feb 22, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #8 of 25
I'm pretty sure that only some future version of the iPod would be able to do 24 bit - I doubt that just a firmware update would enable that.

Feb 22, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #9 of 25
Physical CD albums cost $30 in these parts.

I'd be very happy to pay $2 per track for studio master quality audio, don't be such a tight a$$ mate. If the music is quality then it's worth it.

Quote:
I don't mean to sound like a naysayer, but this isn't going to be successful. I'm gonna bet on these higher res tracks will cost $2 a piece if Apple decides to follow through. Music is already expensive as it is, and I would never pay that for a single music track unless the band played it live right in front of me. Heck, I still think $1 is too much for a track.

Feb 23, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #10 of 25

Quote:
This is excellent. This means that the road is now paved and high res is full steam ahead. The writing has been on the wall for too long. What this means is that we will have an itune update very soon, which will support auto bit rate switching, etc. I wonder if this will also mean that the next generation of ipod's will also support high rez....
woooh!! I think I am moving forward too much... Go Libyans's.... 

Current ipods already support lossless in ALAC/M4a format. IDK about 24bit though.

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #12 of 25
its odd to me that they'd offer this as opposed to just lossless downloads.. but hey what do i know.. no complaints here i guess.   I've never heard a 24 bit track so i dont know what/if im missing.

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #14 of 25

Quote:
its odd to me that they'd offer this as opposed to just lossless downloads.. but hey what do i know.. no complaints here i guess.   I've never heard a 24 bit track so i dont know what/if im missing.

Yea no kidding. I dont even hear many people on here demanding 24bit audio. Everybody here wants lossless to be more available as an alternative to mp3.

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #15 of 25

Quote:
so will it be 24bit/48khz or 24/96 or maybe 24/192?

Don't get your  hopes up.  My money is on a very small offering perhaps starting with the 44khz 24bit Beatles catalog and not much else.  I would be shocked to see anything above 48k right now.

EDIT:

No, current ipods do not support 24 bit files

Users who are viewing this thread

Back