iTunes Tags Randomly Unmodifiable?
Feb 13, 2008 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Sordel

1000+ Head-Fier
I've been ripping to iTunes in AAC and recently stepped up to 256kbps. Now I find that after ripping, some tracks, for no apparent reason, have tags that cannot be modified. Is this some obscure, unsuccessful attempt to stop user modification at high bitrates, or a bug? In either event, is there a way around it, maybe by using another program for tagging?

Feb 13, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a bug I suppose. I get this once in a while. Just reconvert those files and it should be fine.
Example
AAC-> ALAC -> AAC
AAC-> mp3 -> AAC

^don't do that.

Try using mp3tag, might help, no idea what the cause of your problem is though.

Feb 13, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 10
Damnit, I'm getting the problem with 128kbps as well now. Rotten Apple!

Feb 13, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tk3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^don't do that.

Definitely don't do that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try using mp3tag, might help, no idea what the cause of your problem is though.

Using Mp3tag, save the tags of the audio files in question to ID3v2.3 format. That should fix the problem. If not, post back.

Feb 13, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 10
Are you trying to change the tags on a connected iPod rather than on your iTunes library?

If it's in the library, try highlighting it and selecting FILE / GET INFO / INFO and see if you can change the tag there.

See ya
Steve

Feb 14, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #8 of 10
Speaking of iTunes tagging, I'm having an issue with tagging done in iTunes not being recognized in Foobar. I think it only affects certain fields. When I update those field (ie. Genre) in iTunes, I notice that Foobar doens't pick up the change (and yes, i've refreshed).

I need to do all my tagging in iTunes (or at least make sure they are compatible with iTunes) since I use iphone and ipod. I tried editting tags in Foobar but they seem to get truncated in iTunes. Strange.

Any ideas?

Feb 14, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jayehs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of iTunes tagging, I'm having an issue with tagging done in iTunes not being recognized in Foobar. I think it only affects certain fields. When I update those field (ie. Genre) in iTunes, I notice that Foobar doens't pick up the change (and yes, i've refreshed).

I need to do all my tagging in iTunes (or at least make sure they are compatible with iTunes) since I use iphone and ipod. I tried editting tags in Foobar but they seem to get truncated in iTunes. Strange.

Any ideas?

Yes...while iTunes supports ID3v2.3, which seems to be the de facto standard, I believe foobar2000's default is ID3v2.4. Ergo the discrepancy and lack of compatibility. I believe you can change foobar's default to ID3v2.3, which should then allow you to maintain consistency between the two. At least that's what I recall.

Feb 14, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #10 of 10
Most probably a bug.
I have never seen it, but then i don't use AAC that much either.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a bug I suppose. I get this once in a while. Just reconvert those files and it should be fine.
Example
AAC-> ALAC -> AAC
AAC-> mp3 -> AAC

Please don't!
Those two methods might fix the tag problem, but you will degrade the audio data. Since you encode to lossy one (and with the MP3 route even two) additional time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back