iTunes sound quality
Nov 1, 2006 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

aliquis

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry for posting this in wrong forum category, althought I don't know for sure which one is the correct one? Music? But I doubt it got as many viewers.

Anyway, how are iTunes sound quality? Is it just as good as mpg123/madplay/foobar or is the sound quality worse? Are there some way to replace the codec it uses in that case?

Also should I but a macbook pro or not ;/, I don't need a new machine that much (got an A64 3000+ 1.5GB ram, gf4 ti-4200), I don't need a portable that much (got no friends to visit anyway) and I don't even need the OS that much (there are hacked versions), but anyway, should I?
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #2 of 11
odd question for a music forum, but....

I have a macbook non-pro. I got it because I liked the 13.3" screen, I needed it to be portable. I take it to campus everyday so it's nice and small. Since size isn't a big thing for you, I don't know if it is your best choice. You could easily get a 15.4" windows based laptop for almost half the cost of a macbook pro, with all the fixings.So if money is any concern, I would go with windows. Now let me talk about the mac os for a second. I had heard a lot fo things about mac os being much easier to use and a lot nicer than windows xp. Now that I've used it for a while, I've found it is a little easier to use, but I don't really notice a difference with everyday tasks. It has a lot of nice features though. Tiger OSX (incl.iLife) takes up about 17GB of space on your hard drive, and it's not wasted. You're going to get a ton of programs that allow you do anything with pictures, music and video. And I don't just mean managing, you can create. You've got iMovie, you've got garange band, you can make your own stuff. In adition to all this, you'll get bootcamp, which means you can run windows XP on your computer aswell. This is nice if you have some programs that just dont have a mac equivalent( or you prefer the windows counterpart, Visual Design for me, xcode just doesn't cut it) If this sounds nice to you, get the mac. Even if your not going to take it around town it's nice to be able to use your computer on your couch, or on your bed, or anywhere in your house.

Nov 1, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyleisgreat
odd question for a music forum, but....

I have a macbook non-pro. I got it because I liked the 13.3" screen, I needed it to be portable. I take it to campus everyday so it's nice and small. Since size isn't a big thing for you, I don't know if it is your best choice. You could easily get a 15.4" windows based laptop for almost half the cost of a macbook pro, with all the fixings.So if money is any concern, I would go with windows. Now let me talk about the mac os for a second. I had heard a lot fo things about mac os being much easier to use and a lot nicer than windows xp. Now that I've used it for a while, I've found it is a little easier to use, but I don't really notice a difference with everyday tasks. It has a lot of nice features though. Tiger OSX (incl.iLife) takes up about 17GB of space on your hard drive, and it's not wasted. You're going to get a ton of programs that allow you do anything with pictures, music and video. And I don't just mean managing, you can create. You've got iMovie, you've got garange band, you can make your own stuff. In adition to all this, you'll get bootcamp, which means you can run windows XP on your computer aswell. This is nice if you have some programs that just dont have a mac equivalent( or you prefer the windows counterpart, Visual Design for me, xcode just doesn't cut it) If this sounds nice to you, get the mac. Even if your not going to take it around town it's nice to be able to use your computer on your couch, or on your bed, or anywhere in your house.

I already have a athlon64 3000+, 1.5GB ram, 850GB hdd, gf4 ti-4200 PC, but I don't wanna use Windows, I'm there for the OS. I could run a hack, but well.. it would be a hack, and I wouldn't support Apple, and .. ;/

I'm not intrested in wasting money on a PC machine which I might end up running Windows on because that's not what I want.

I ask about sound quality since your software choices are quite limited in mac os x.

Also the macbook pro are just 4.3% more expensive than a similair speced Dell inspiron 6400/E1505 here in Sweden (both are very expensive.)

(04:36:53) (aliquis) the inspiron in that case got 1680x1050 gfx and 8x dvd
(04:37:13) (aliquis) but the macbook pro got x1600, 802.11n, fw800, webcam, 1.08cm less thick, 0.26kg less weight..

Apples laptop got better hw, os and are just 4.3% more.

I'm mostly doubting because I'm unemployed so I'm short on cash and since the stupid osx86 project exist I CAN run os x without paying... But =P, I've always wanted a mac and I know I won't have any troubles, and it's sexy ;/

Nov 1, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #4 of 11
iTunes on Macs is bit-perfect out of the box. No need to jerk around with kernel streaming, ASIO, etc. That's a nice plus. iTunes uses the licensed Fraunhofer MP3 decoder. It's high quality. Basically, there's nothing to complain about regarding iTunes sound quality on Macs. Front Row and the remote control are nice too.

I'd get the Mac if the price premium is as low as you point out.

Nov 1, 2006 at 9:48 AM Post #5 of 11
aliquis says:
Quote:

I ask about sound quality since your software choices are quite limited in mac os x.

I'm sure you know that a new Mac will run both Mac and Windows Software.

Nov 1, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #6 of 11
I'm very happy with my 13 inch Macbook. I'm in the process of making it the center of my TV/Stereo system.

See ya
Steve

Nov 1, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
iTunes on Macs is bit-perfect out of the box. No need to jerk around with kernel streaming, ASIO, etc. That's a nice plus. iTunes uses the licensed Fraunhofer MP3 decoder. It's high quality. Basically, there's nothing to complain about regarding iTunes sound quality on Macs. Front Row and the remote control are nice too.

I'd get the Mac if the price premium is as low as you point out.

So what does all the low end mp3-players use then? Some cheap ass crap version they have built themself? I'm wondering because mpg123 and mad is supposed to be good and those are open source isn't they? So why would someone use a crappier one if it wasn't that it was fraunhofer and it was supposed to be the standard. Are you sure Fraunhofer is just as good as mpg123 and mad?

Price premium doesn't matter that much to me either, not price/performance either, I'm out after the experience, running XP/Solaris/Linux/FreeBSD/.. on a PC just isn't fun because either it's dumb or doesn't work perfect and good in all situations. Using my Amiga1200 was more fun ;/

So what I'm out after is the os, but since some people have cracked it you can install it anyway but since OS X is a product I actually WANT and more or less NEED it would feel bad to copy it and not pay anything, I don't care that much for products I don't really need but just get because I can
wink.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6
aliquis says:

I'm sure you know that a new Mac will run both Mac and Windows Software.

Yeah, but I doubt I will infect the machine with such software. And also not using parallells not at the same time, if foobar2k or whatever doesn't run thru wine that is. But of course you can use mpg123 or whatever to, but they haven't got such a nice GUI. What I would want is amarok
wink.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
I'm very happy with my 13 inch Macbook. I'm in the process of making it the center of my TV/Stereo system.

See ya
Steve

Nice, but wouldn't the Mac mini fit that purpose better? Probably depends how much you want to unplug the machine and use it vs how much you want to use it for tv/stereo.

I might get an USB tv-card for the macbook pro thought and have it record tv shows and stuff, but it will make my desk a mess =P, easier to keep it clean with the iMac, but what is a geek supposed to do?

Nov 2, 2006 at 6:15 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot

See ya
Steve

Bigshot...would you say you like how the soundcard sounds on your macbook for extensive music listening? I hear the macbook pros sound fantastic but I don't know if they have the same soundcard?

Nov 2, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by aliquis
Nice, but wouldn't the Mac mini fit that purpose better? Probably depends how much you want to unplug the machine and use it vs how much you want to use it for tv/stereo.

I already had the Macbook, and it's with me whereever I go. No reason to have a computer to sit on the shelf when I'm not home. My Macbook can be functioning as my source while it charges every night.

See ya
Steve

Nov 2, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4metta
Bigshot...would you say you like how the soundcard sounds on your macbook for extensive music listening? I hear the macbook pros sound fantastic but I don't know if they have the same soundcard?

All Macs sound great. The A/V capabilities of the Mac are built into the hardware, and it's all top notch.

See ya
Steve

Nov 3, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #11 of 11
Thanks bigshot! I had an old Powerbook once and it sounded awesome. Good to hear they all still sound great. I'm looking at getting a little Macbook since I really don't need all the macbook pro extras.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back