iTunes sharing
Jan 24, 2009 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

nycbone

100+ Head-Fier
I have a 2nd generation 10GB ipod that works fine and is perfect for commuting (not a huge deal if something happens to it), but only has a firewire port for data transfer/charging.

My everyday PC doesn't have a firewire port and I would like to avoid having to purchase/install a card.

I've been using an old clamshell iBook to transfer music to the ipod via iTunes, but it has limited hard drive space. I've been ripping CDs at ACC 320kbps, dumping them onto the ipod, erasing them from the iBook, ripping a new batch of CDs, etc... but that's a pain. Furthermore, if I lose the files on the ipod for some reason, I have to start over.

So...

I setup iTunes sharing over my homework network and I can get the iBook to see and play the files on my PC, but I can't transfer them to the old ipod (or the iBook library).

Is this a limitation of the iTunes sharing setup or is there a work around (sanctioned or otherwise...).

Thanks.

Jan 24, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 4
Its a limitation of the iTunes sharing. I guess to prevent illegal file sharing...
You can share folders though, and mount them on the other computer.

System Preferences -> Sharing -> File Sharing

Jan 24, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 4
Even better!

Unfortunately, iTunes stores lossless and other files in the same folder for a particular album... but I can sort them by bit rate after transferring them to the iBook and delete the lossless files.

Easy enough...

You just saved me tons of extra work!

Thanks!
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back