iTunes - ripping to an external hard drive?
Apr 16, 2007 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Minimauled

100+ Head-Fier
I'm new to iTunes and Apple computers. I'm used to ripping my music to an external HD on a PC with EAC.

Anyway, now that I have a Macbook pro how can I rip my cds to an external hard drive that I already have connected to my computer? I can only find settings for importing music into iTunes but I don't want to do this. I want to rip to my external hard drive and then load the music into iTunes.

Little help?

(ALSO, my hard drive is connected to an airport extreme. Is there any reason that I shouldn't rip to this wirelessly if I want the best possible bit perfect copy?)

BTW, what's the best forum for iTunes question on the net?

THANKS!

Apr 16, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 12
I don't know if this is the only way but this is how I do it.
It's quite troublesome really...

I change my library location to something else, then I rip it there. After I changed it back to my original location and import the folder that I ripped it to.

Works like a charm =\

Cheers!
Nenso

Apr 17, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 12
Another helpful hint is to start up iTunes (only the newer version) while holding down the Option key. This will allow you to create/select alternate libraries so you can have a trimmed-down library on the notebook and your full library on an external drive.

(You can do this with iTunes for Windows too, but it's the Control key instead of the Option key I think.)

--Chris

Apr 17, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minimauled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm new to iTunes and Apple computers. I'm used to ripping my music to an external HD on a PC with EAC.

Anyway, now that I have a Macbook pro how can I rip my cds to an external hard drive that I already have connected to my computer? I can only find settings for importing music into iTunes but I don't want to do this. I want to rip to my external hard drive and then load the music into iTunes.

Little help?

(ALSO, my hard drive is connected to an airport extreme. Is there any reason that I shouldn't rip to this wirelessly if I want the best possible bit perfect copy?)

BTW, what's the best forum for iTunes question on the net?

THANKS!

Can you clarify what you want to do? Do you want to continue using EAC to rip your music, in what format, to the external drive?

OR -- you are switching completely to iTunes for both ripping and playing?

Apr 17, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by pkshiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you clarify what you want to do? Do you want to continue using EAC to rip your music, in what format, to the external drive?

OR -- you are switching completely to iTunes for both ripping and playing?

thanks for the response. w/ the posts above i figured it out. i'm ripping only with iTunes now (i really don't like this as much as EAC or dbPower amp but what can you do?? ...besides booting in windows which i don't want to get into) in apple lossless to a wireless hard drive (that last part is really cool!)

Apr 18, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #8 of 12
If you're going to have your iTunes library on a networked disk, it's better to move your library using the Preferences -> Advanced -> Change option rather than creating a brand new library on the networked disk by holding down option/control. The reason for this is because you want the actual "iTunes Library" database on a local disk, even if your files are stored somewhere else. There are two advantages to this: iTunes is much faster if the database file is on a local disk. Also, if your actual library file is on a remote disk and the network goes down, the library file can become permanently locked and you have to delete it and restore from either the XML file or a backup.

Apr 18, 2007 at 12:47 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minimauled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the response. w/ the posts above i figured it out. i'm ripping only with iTunes now (i really don't like this as much as EAC or dbPower amp but what can you do?? ...besides booting in windows which i don't want to get into) in apple lossless to a wireless hard drive (that last part is really cool!)

Gald that you figured it out. Your wireless external harddrive setup is pretty cool. I use iTunes on OSX to rip to an NAS.

In your case, the music "bits" goes from the harddrive, up to the AXP, up wirelessly to the mac, iTunes turn them around, send them back wirelessly down to the AXP, then to the receiver/amp. Interesting huh?

Apr 18, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #10 of 12
I still a little confused exactly want you're trying to do, but if it's to copy lossless copies to your NAS drive and have a portion of those or lossy copies on your MBP, the multiple libraries is the best way to do it. Either through the method described above or through an app like Libra.

Apr 18, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by hempcamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another helpful hint is to start up iTunes (only the newer version) while holding down the Option key. This will allow you to create/select alternate libraries so you can have a trimmed-down library on the notebook and your full library on an external drive.

(You can do this with iTunes for Windows too, but it's the Control key instead of the Option key I think.)

--Chris

It's the "Shift" key for PC's.

Apr 18, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #12 of 12
Minimauled, I'm using a Powerbook G4 and Itunes to rip my CDs to an offboard USB hard disk. The principle is the same as wireless. If you have a library already, copy the "Itunes Music" folder to the network drive, but leae the "Itunes Library" file on your Macbook. You then tell Itunes to use the external drive for your library. Once you're confident that the new library location is established, you can delete the old one.

Your networking is a slick idea. I may have to see if I can work something like that out, as it would be more convenient than having the Powerbook tethered to the hard disk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back