iTunes question
May 7, 2004 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sjino

100+ Head-Fier
Let's see if I understand this correctly: To transfer a CD to an iPod, I have to use iTunes to rip it to my PC and leave it in the library for synch-up to the iPod. If I want 20 CDs on my iPod, I have to copy and KEEP 20 CDs in my library. If I delete a CD from my library, it will be deleted from my iPod. Is this correct?

Is there a way to simply transfer a CD to the iPod without screwing with a library on my PC? With my minidisc, I just launch the Simple Burner software, insert the CD, and wait while it transfers tracks from my PC to the minidisc. Nothing is copied or saved on my PC's HD.

I understand that iTunes is geared towards the whole dollar-a-song thing, but geez, isn't there a better way to transfer music from CDs I already own? I've got a huge CD collection, and while I don't mind the transfer process I really don't want to keep the whole shebang on my PC just so I can have it on my iPod.

Sheesh.

May 7, 2004 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 5
If you use the auto sync mode then you will need to keep your songs in the library. If you do manual sync then you just rip your music, drag them to the ipod, and delete the files off your hardrive

May 7, 2004 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 5
You don't have to keep the mp3s on your hard drive. You just need the computer as a messenger between ripping the CD and putting it on your 'Pod.

May 8, 2004 at 10:25 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the replies. So it sounds like I'm not required to keep on my computer the files copied from CD, but there's no way to copy directly to the iPod without first saving to PC (like I can with my minidisc). I guess I can live with that.

Thanks again.

May 9, 2004 at 7:27 AM Post #5 of 5
You realize that if something should go wrong with your iPod and you have to reflash the firmware, you'll have to re-rip and re-tag all those files again, right?

Seems like a HUGE waste of time, especially since hard drives are so cheap these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back