iTunes question
Aug 13, 2005 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dk123

100+ Head-Fier
I've been wanting to try using my computer as source for a while (hp laptop
rolleyes.gif
) but I don't want to spend a lot of money until I figure out whether computer as source is "for me." Anyway, I want to use iTunes for playback, because I don't want to put in the time and effort into learning to use Foobar2K, at least not at this point.

From what I've read, it seems that if I want bit-perfect output, I need to use something like Airport Express or Squeezebox2. Is that correct that if I use one of those items with iTunes I will get bit-perfect output? Also, will I get decent sound quality out of AX or SB2 by itself, or will I need to get a DAC, such as the microDAC?

I'm also wondering what will sound better. iTunes directly to a usb DAC such as microDAC, so not with bit perfect output, or iTunes to AX or SB2 to the microDAC, hence with bit perfect output? That is to say, is there degredation of the sound by using the Ethernet/wireless connection, or is that not an issue, or is it worth it to achieve bit perfect output?

Aug 14, 2005 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 9
Since you haven't gotten a response yet I will say if you're only testing computers as source setup, I wouldn't sweat bit perfection at this point. I can't really comment about what bypasses Kmixer as I'm usually on OS X (where it isn't an issue), but I will say a bit imperfect signal does not mean the imperfections are necessarily audible. Thing is it's easy to correct (well in some cases) through ASIO drivers, etc. I wouldn't worry about it so much and see how you feel about computer audio first.

Also although I'm a big fan of iTunes (use it pretty much exclusively lately on Mac and Windows) Foobar isn't that difficult to use. You may want to give it a try (even if you don't have it completely configured for optimal performance). See which you like.

Aug 14, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 9
Probably technically, though is it worth the cash or even noticeable? Although you don't lose sound quality going wirelessly, you do introduce the possibility of initial sync delays with the APX (with some DACs as there's no internal clock in the APX - don't know how it performs with the microDAC - no problem with my DAC). You also tie yourself to iTunes as with Windows there's no way around it to APX stream (so no WMA or Real internet streaming or DVD playback, etc.). You also bring in some overhead with conversions (if you're using ALAC or AAC in iTunes) with Squeezebox's Slim Server if you go that route. All things to consider.

Aug 14, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by dk123
From what I've read, it seems that if I want bit-perfect output, I need to use something like Airport Express or Squeezebox2. Is that correct that if I use one of those items with iTunes I will get bit-perfect output? Also, will I get decent sound quality out of AX or SB2 by itself, or will I need to get a DAC, such as the microDAC?

I'm also wondering what will sound better. iTunes directly to a usb DAC such as microDAC, so not with bit perfect output, or iTunes to AX or SB2 to the microDAC, hence with bit perfect output? That is to say, is there degredation of the sound by using the Ethernet/wireless connection, or is that not an issue, or is it worth it to achieve bit perfect output?

XP has four methods for outputting audio via an audio device. DirectSound, waveOut, ASIO, and kernel streaming. USB audio devices are just like any other audio device to XP, and have the same options (directsound, waveout, asio, kernel streaming).

In short, DirectSound and WaveOut go through kmixer. ASIO, kernel streaming, and proprietary network streams don't. Depending on which output you pick, you get what you get. Going through kmixer == not bit perfect.

iTunes/XP is a pure DirectSound/WaveOut application. For iTunes/XP, the APX is the only way I know of to get bit perfect out. (How does an SB2 do bitperfect via a DirectSound only app? Or does the SB2 mimic the APX network stream? I'm guessing it makes itself look like an audio device, which is really a dummy to stream to the network? If so, it's not bit perfect via DirectSound. I'm not sure that one is correct.)

No, the MicroDAC via USB is not bit perfect unless you configure it properly, which means not using kmixer, which means not using iTunes/XP. (The MicroDAC via USB is just a regular audio device, as far as XP is concerned. It's subject to the rules of the four output methods above.)

No, you lose nothing via ethernet/wireless.

Yes, the APX can have some initial sync delays with certain DACs (there's an old thread about this somewhere, which lists devices.) It's up to you whether this would bother you.

I've never even listened to the DAC in my APX, so I can't comment on it.

Other posters have hit the nail on the head though... There's no "best" to be had here. Especially depending on what gear you have, kmixer's mangling might not even be noticeable to you. Try it out before you invest a bunch...

Aug 14, 2005 at 7:39 AM Post #7 of 9
Here's the Airport Express List.

Squeezebox's Slim Server is it's own player. It just has some support for reading audio files and playlists organized by iTunes. As far as I know it doesn't read from/thru it. In fact it converts to WAV for non-native supported codecs (MP3 & FLAC I believe). So it may be bit perfect. Don't know, but Slim Devices are pretty on top of most of these things.

Aug 14, 2005 at 7:48 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Here's the Airport Express List.

Squeezebox's Slim Server is it's own player. It just has some support for reading audio files and playlists organized by iTunes. As far as I know it doesn't read from/thru it. In fact it converts to WAV for non-native supported codecs (MP3 & FLAC I believe). So it may be bit perfect. Don't know, but Slim Devices are pretty on top of most of these things.

If I understand, then it's possible the SB proprietary player is bit perfect, but not if you want to use iTunes/XP as the actual player.

Aug 14, 2005 at 12:25 PM Post #9 of 9
The problem that Airport Express had with initial sync delays with some DACs would seem to have been solved with the latest update 4.9 to AE. The stream is now continuous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back