iTunes Question
May 6, 2005 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jpr703

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, I've finally filled my 40gig iPod and I have to start being selective about what alubums I want on it. So far, the only way I can get an album off the iPod and replace it with another is to compeletly delete the old one from iTunes then resync.

Is there any way I can get my Ipod to delete some albums to make room for other without having to completely delete the old ones from iTunes? I'd hate to have to re-rip the CD if I ever want the old one back. I've tried unchecking them, but that doesn't seem to work.

May 6, 2005 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703
Is there any way I can get my Ipod to delete some albums to make room for other without having to completely delete the old ones from iTunes? I'd hate to have to re-rip the CD if I ever want the old one back. I've tried unchecking them, but that doesn't seem to work.

That would suck, right
biggrin.gif

Try this:
- Make a playlist, call it what you want ("iPod" or whatever)
- Shove in all the stuff you want on the iPod, keep an eye on the capacity
- Go to the iPod prefs in iTunes
- Uncheck "sync all"
- check "sync selected playlists" instead
- choose the playlist we just made
- sync
- tadaa!

I use this for the music I want on my iPod permanently, the rest is done with smart playlists, so I don't have to care about moving over new imports manually etc..

May 7, 2005 at 10:09 AM Post #3 of 5
Two things to try:

1) I haven't tried this myself so I'm not sure it'd work...but...how about turning off automatic update and putting it into pure manual mode, then manually deleting the songs off the iPod, then unchecking the songs in iTunes, then turning on automatic update again with the "Update Only Checked Songs" option checked?

2) If #1 doesn't work, you can always go into the iTunes Music folder and copy the files for the songs in question to another location and THEN delete the songs in iTunes. You can avoid having to re-rip at least. (To get them back into iTunes later, drag and drop them into the Library window of iTunes and then, optionally, choose Consolidate Library from the Advanced menu so iTunes will copy the files back to the iTunes folder.)

May 7, 2005 at 2:33 PM Post #4 of 5
Everything will work stated earlier, and I think the easiest way is to use one smart playlist called "Best" and another called Low Rating. Exclude the low rated ones from the smart playlist. When you rate something a "1 star", it is kept on your iTunes Library, but removed from your iPod automatically, replaced by the higher rated version.

"Low Rating" Smart Playlist
10379iTunes4-med.jpg

"Best" Smart Playlist
10379iTunes1-med.jpg

"+Favorite" Smart Playlist (screens out Low Raters, linked to "Favorite" Smart Playlist)
10379iTunes2-med.jpg

"Favorite" Smart Playlist
10379iTunes3-med.jpg

Good luck!

May 8, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #5 of 5
i didn't read all the post but this is all you have to do.

go in to prefs and make sure your ipod only syncs with checked songs.
uncheck the album you don't want. when you place a new album on there it will come in checked, so you don't have to do that. that is the simplest way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back