itunes problem...
Jan 16, 2005 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

princeclassic

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, so I just recently ripped a good portion of my CD collection with itunes and I like using itunes to play music on my computer. But, I've got a minor problem. I ripped a few soundtracks and their tracks are out of order when organizing my library by album and they are scattered by artist rather than being in one group when organizing my library by artist (which is what i usually do). I thought the group compilation checkbox in the preferences would fix this problem, but it doesn't seem to do anything at all.

What should I do?

Jan 16, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 5
One of the problems with Itunes is the tagging system. I find that if there is one letter different on the name of the album from song file to song file, the music lands up in weird places. First, make sure that you have library selected, and from the edit menu you have the "show browser" option selected. what you are going to have to do is to find all of the song files, and bring them up together on the editing screen by selecting them from the artist and album window in the browser. Once you have done this, (its like making a play list, just highlight the music with the control button down), then highlight all of the selections and do edit--get info. Itunes will tell you that you are editing multiple entries, etc., just follow the instructions and make sure that the album title and artists are the same on each of the songs and they should all hang together.

Jan 17, 2005 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 5
Actually you can keep the artist names, but if you want to play the album, then you have to select "all" when accessing the music from either genre or artist. When you select all, that should bring you the names of the albums within each genre. When you select artist: all, then you get a list of all of the albums.

Another way to tag the songs is to use the composer slot for the artist and then use artist for the group name, etc. Ofcourse, if you actually have music where you need the composer, then this can become very confusing.

Jan 17, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #5 of 5
To keep the tracks more organized, make sure you enter in track numbers and album name in the ID3 tag. They will line up within your library according to album and each individual track's number.

iTunes tagging is far superior to any other music management software, yet it still has some issues. Songs cannot be tagged as coming from two separate albums, AFAIK.

And to play an individual album easily and quickly on the iPod, use the menu commands Music > Artists > *pick artist* > *pick alubum* > *pick song*.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back