iTunes Preamp and E.Q.
Jul 15, 2008 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Nemi

New Head-Fier
So I'm using a USB Dac, and trying to get the most out of iTunes. I have two questions.

Within the EQ setting, there's the iTunes preamp on a range from -12db to 12db (defaulted at 0). I was wondering if lowering this all the way to -12db will have any positive effect. My only reasoning being, I notice a significant negative difference when I raise the slider above 0db.

Also, I do use the treble booster setting at times. It might just be my sound preferences, but I really enjoy the way it brings clarity to the drums in my rock music. Anyone else use the Treble Booster?

Jul 15, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #2 of 3
Using treble booster increases 16 kH. 6 dB. There might be some benefit to decreasing the preamp output 6 dB. or more. When boosting bass there might be a need to adjust the preamp if the music sounds distorted. I rarely use the iTunes EQ and I've never played with the preamp.

I use Rockbox on my iPod and use the parametric EQ. I use the preamp feature where I set it at a negative value at least equal to the boost in dB(if that makes any sense) lol

Jul 15, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 3
iTunes preamp is awful. Leave it well alone. The EQ isn't much better. If you want to play around with things like that, look for more dedicated software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back