iTunes might offer 24 bit music in the future?
Feb 22, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #4 of 20
Saw this earlier today. My first thought was, come on guys, offer CD-quality music first before you make the jump into high-rez downloads.

Feb 22, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:
I'd be perfectly happy with Apple Lossless (16bit)

Ditto. The amount of music that is only available in 16 bit far outweighs the amount of higher resolution music that is out there. That should be their first step.

I used to use I-tunes after I got my first I-pod and it was way too convenient to buy new music. Eventually I got wise and decided to pay the same price or cheaper for the same music in lossless format (CD) vs. the lossy format I was buying on I-tunes and I only had to wait a few days (gotta love Amazon prime!).

Disregarding those who don't pay for their music... anyone with a smidgeon of sense would do the same.

Feb 22, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #9 of 20

Quote:
You're right, unfortunately. But perhaps with the proper advertising maybe the masses will come around...

Most people would just buy because Apple says it sounds better. They'd probably charge more for lossless files as well, and have that gimmick where you can upgrade previously purchased stuff just like they did when they released "iTunes Plus".

Feb 22, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #10 of 20
Why be happy with lossless? Lossless 16bit/44.1 is available already in the form of cds. What many listeners outside the US don't have is access to higher bit rate files.

Apparently, it is possible the 24 bit files Apple proposes to sell could be lossy.

Feb 22, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #11 of 20

Quote:
Why be happy with lossless? Lossless 16bit/44.1 is available already in the form of cds. What many listeners outside the US don't have is access to higher bit rate files.

Apparently, it is possible the 24 bit files Apple proposes to sell could be lossy.

This is true. My first post is irrelevant I guess, because I don't buy from iTunes. I buy CDs. If iTunes released lossless material, I probably wouldn't even buy it.

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #13 of 20

Quote:

Personally, I would absolutely buy lossless 16/44.1 files from iTunes for the sole purpose of eliminating the physical CD.

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:
With their own ALAC format in their back pocket, I personally see zero possibility that Apple makes iTunes downloads available in FLAC.

Indeed, that would be bad business for Apple unfortunately.

AFAIK though, you can convert ALAC to FLAC without losing quality so it would still be awesome.

[edit: I was tired and anyway...] if Apple did sell lossless files (even in their propietary format), I imagine a lot of us would use this option instead of continuing to buy physical media (if the price was comparable anyway...). Imagine what that could do to the CD market. I mean, audiophiles probably make up a large percentage of the people who still buy CDs in my estimation so... yeah hmm wow...

I'll continue to buy CDs though as I love my Onkyo SACD player and its analog-like CD filter. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back