Itunes is ripping too fast!
Mar 27, 2009 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

plonter

Headphoneus Supremus
how many of you use itunes to rip their cds? (alac) it seems to me that it's ripping too fast and by that can cause errors. i have encountered some errors in the past.
i downloaded the new version and it's even more fast than before.
should i use the error checking option? hoe many of you use it?

it doesnt seem right to me. when i am rip to flac with winamp it is x20 slower.

Mar 27, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 14
I rip cds all the time into ALAC, but with error correction. Use my macbook as my transport. No problems.

Gordon Rankin of Wavelength Audio and the good folks over at Bel Canto strongly recommend ripping lossless with error correction.

Mar 27, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I rip cds all the time into ALAC, but with error correction. Use my macbook as my transport. No problems.

Gordon Rankin of Wavelength Audio and the good folks over at Bel Canto strongly recommend ripping lossless with error correction.

i usually like lt leave the settings at default,so that's the reason i didnt use the error correction. i guess that speed is more important to apple more than qulity, or else they would put the error cor' as default.

so maybe i will start using it.

Mar 27, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iTunes is a bit sloppy with ripping and there are even reports of ALAC ripped from CDs with iTunes not being legitimate lossless. < I don't support this claim, I have no stance.

As far as I know, there is no actual hard evidence of that, just speculation based on subjective impressions. Happily, the claim is easy to test for oneself:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/mo...ml#post5419595

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/mo...ml#post5419646

Quote:

on my system at least, iTunes ALAC seems to be ripping and compressing without corrupting the data in any way, although it is not doing read offset correction like the specialized ripping software does.

Mar 27, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 14
Not me!
I really don't trust iTunes for secure ripping. It might be fine for spotless CD's, but for scratched ones I have doubts in that its engine is a powerful as other dedicated rippers.

Hence Max and Rip it is for me.
smile.gif

Mar 28, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #7 of 14
I have no SQ issues with iTunes ripping to lossless.
smily_headphones1.gif
Only time I did was VNV Nation's Judgement, but that was cause my on-the-fritz optical drive at the time was giving me endless trouble, causing skips.

Mar 28, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not me!
I really don't trust iTunes for secure ripping. It might be fine for spotless CD's, but for scratched ones I have doubts in that its engine is a powerful as other dedicated rippers.

Hence Max and Rip it is for me.
smile.gif

Don't know if you have heard about it, but to me XLD is even better than Max
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know if you have heard about it, but to me XLD is even better than Max
wink.gif

I am aware of XLD, and barely used it.
For some reason I have been more confident with Max, and now later Rip though. Rip verify against AccurateRip as well, like XLD, so should be just as secure.

Mar 29, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by berthoud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never had a problem with scratched or scratchless CD's. Perhaps its more related to your particular PC?

Its mostly related to the actual CD condition (scratches), but the CD drive also make a difference. Since they have different error correction, ability to retrieve C2 errors, and like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back