itunes help please
Aug 28, 2009 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dazzer1975

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, so I have archived all my cd's into flac and have them saved in typical windows file tree... Just how I like it, all organised MY WAY.

However, I have a diymod, and have just done a tech refresh of my pc so have redownloaded itunes ready to bang some tuneage onto my player.

My question revolves around importing my nicely organised music archive into itunes.

Do I need to copy this archive and use the copy location as the itune library, or can I simply import the location as my itunes library.

The thing is, I want my itunes library to be a totally seperate entity from my music archive, but to be identical.

Sorry, I don't think I am explaining myself very well, and am unfamiliar with the correct terms but essentially, I want two copies of my music archive, one for itunes, and one seperate that I use in windows for all other applications and uses.

How would be the best way to go about this?

Cheers.

Aug 28, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 7
Why don't you just use a program that won't mess with your archive, like foobar2k or winamp? Otherwise, just make 2 folders ("For iTunes" and "Archive")

I'm deathly allergic to the iTunes 2 tier folder structure. I've been asked by way too many people to fix their iTunes libraries. -.-

Aug 28, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 7
first make sure that you uncheck "keep iTunes library organized" and "copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library", you'll find these two settings under the "advanced" tab.

Then, select the root of your music folder structure as "iTunes Music folder location" (also under the advanced tab).

I've always used iTunes this way, I can keep my folders as I want them, when I've added any new music I just use "file->add to library". My music folders and files stays were I've put them, the iTunes library is just a database with information about and link to the actual music file. Quite a few ppl are talking rubbish about iTunes, when they actually don't know a thing or two about it...

Sep 1, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #6 of 7
Just uncheck "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library".
Then use whatever folder structure you like, without iTunes interfering.
wink.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not itunes for one lib, winamp or foobar for another?

yer itunes for one library but I dont like programmes interfering with my files and folders, I like to just go to the file and choose it to play with whatever prog I want to use at that time.

Other than through my crappy pc speakers I really only maintain an archive for dragging and dropping to my portable players, hence the need for itunes library with my ipod. I have tried media monkey and others but itunes is great for podcast organisation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back