iTunes/Foobar Users Audio Quality Guide
Jan 8, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #76 of 91
Have you tried the latest version of Foobar? 0.9.5 has just been released and the UI is much more configurable without skinning. I'm quite liking it.

If anybody is interested, I've just been playing around with my Edirol UA-1EX and have switched it to 96 kHz mode, and am trying out the Secret Rabbit resampler plugin for Foobar. The sound seems pretty great -- very spacious -- although I can't easily A/B with 44.1, as the UA-1EX uses DIP switches to set the sample rate, and must be unplugged/plugged to recognize the change (I think).

The Secret Rabbit resampler is using about 44% of my poor old Athlon 2500 CPU though (at best quality), so I might just switch back to 44.1 kHz. I gave it a try so I could test the "studio master" sample track from Linn, which is at 88.2 kHz. FWIW, the "standard" PPHS resampler only uses about 5% of my CPU.

Feb 6, 2008 at 9:04 AM Post #77 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by keithjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After uninstalling itunes and then reinstalling foobar, mp and itunes i get: The file "iTunes Library.itl" cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes.
Anyone got any ideas?

Keith

Not sure if you solved this yet. I had the same problem and solved it as follows:

1. Backup everything in your My Music/Itunes directory and put it somewhere safe just in case.

2. Then go back to the original files and right click on Itunes Library.itl and open it with a text editor like note pad.

3. Highlight everything in the file and delete it.

4. Save.

5. Open iTunes.

iTunes should then go ahead and recreate your playlists from the .xml file, and everything should work out!

Feb 21, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #79 of 91
Great thread. Works for me, all except my protected AAC are silent. I was hoping to be able to play my purchases too. Can anyone help?

I am using Win XP, a Chaintech AV-710 clone (thank you infinitesymphony for the heads up) with KS in Foobar 2000 v0.9.5. and the passthrough as described previously. Will I have to unlock them? If so, which program will work with this (7.0.2.16) version of iTunes?

Sorry for any glaring errors or omissions I may have made here but I am new to this arena.

Apr 2, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #80 of 91
Can someone help me with an issue im now having?

I'll also post how i fixed itunes from playing silently without throwing an error... it led me to my current error though!

one issue i originally had was that i'd setup everything and no sound would play via itunes ...also no errors. I fixed this by completely uninstalling foobar and starting again. I read somewhere that a number of components conflict with kernel streaming (i remember one was the columns component) Anyway, so if your having issues where you can't get any sound from itunes then try uninstalling foobar and just reinstall with the necessary components for streaming.

Ok onto my issue...

Im trying to play from iTunes with foobar using kernal streaming using my USB connected iBasso D2. I've followed the instructions exactly from the OP.

I receive this error in the background of iTunes when i click a file to play. "Unrecoverable playback error: KS output error: error opening device". I understand this EXACT error pops up within Foobar when i try playing at "Output Data Format" = 24bit or higher on the Foobar > Preferences > Output page.

It works fine within foobar @ 16bit when i select "KS: USB Audio DAC" and click a song to play. But when i run from within iTunes using foobar pass through it pops up the above error in the background and no sound plays.

I can't work out where any program is trying to run at a bitrate other than 16bit. Anyone have ideas?

I have installed:
1\ Foobar 2000 v 0.9.5.1

2\ itunes 7.0.2.16 + multiplugin
(Release - Special Release: iTunes + Multi-Plugin - Aqua-Soft Forums)

3\ Kernel streaming support
(foobar2000 components)

\4 Resampler
(Secret Rabbit Code Resampler for Foobar2000.)

thanks in advance if you can help at all

Apr 2, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #81 of 91
Ummm something just dawned on me...
if im using a ibasso D2 as a USB DAC would it be bypassing the Windows kernel mixing issue if im playing via iTunes? or would windows still be processing the sound before passing it to the D2

Edit: well i gave up on this idea. im now back to using Winamp (which i haven't used in YEARS) with the ASIO output

Apr 10, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #82 of 91
I would also like to know the answer to the question above, though mine is a little different.

If I am using an outboard DAC (Keces DA-151) in Vista, would I also be bypassing the Windows Kernel mixing issue?

I think I read somewhere that Vista bypasses it but I am not sure.

Apr 10, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #83 of 91
hey onlychild
yeah actually i've read a bunch of things since my last post. yeah i too read that vista does things a little differently but you should try using the latest winamp with ASIO as output

heres some instructions on installing asio output with winamp:
ASIO driver, ASIO installation, Winamp ASIO Foobar installation help, ASIO USB DAC, High End HiFi
go down to "ASIO WINAMP Installation instruction". Heres a link directly to ASIO4ALL but the above like should have everything you need

This is a howto on setting up with some aqvox usb sound rig, but what you might notice is this up the top of the article:

"To achieve best possible sound under windows, ASIO drivers are recommended for Win98/SE, Win 2000/XP.
VISTA, Apple MAC and Linux do NOT need any ASIO USB Audio drivers!"

it doesn't say why asio drivers are needed but maybe its also refering to vista already having decent quality compared to winxp??

ASIO4ALL - Universal ASIO Driver

See how you go. You'll know its working if the volume controls within vista have no effect on the volume of music playing via winamp. I still want to get everything working via iTunes though... winamp music organisation is still fairly rubbish imo
frown.gif

Apr 14, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #84 of 91
This is a great thread! Thanks aestuo!

I followed this guide and set up my PC without too much trouble. Major improvement in sound quality. I had to download the Apple lossless plugin. I rip my CDs into Apples Lossless since I use the same rip on my iPod.

The only quibble I have with this is that when I listen to an opera (say), there is an audible gap between tracks which is not noiticeable in box standard itune. I can understand it has probably to do with buffering etc. Is there a way of getting round this? I want to stick with a lossless rip and I need to be able to play the music on my iPod too.

Cheers!

Apr 23, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #85 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by JesterP64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great thread. Works for me, all except my protected AAC are silent. I was hoping to be able to play my purchases too. Can anyone help?

I am using Win XP, a Chaintech AV-710 clone (thank you infinitesymphony for the heads up) with KS in Foobar 2000 v0.9.5. and the passthrough as described previously. Will I have to unlock them? If so, which program will work with this (7.0.2.16) version of iTunes?

Sorry for any glaring errors or omissions I may have made here but I am new to this arena.

Doubt you are still checking this thread... sure you have found a workaround but the way to still play protected, DRM music is to play it through iTunes -- but the workaround is great-- just add |No Foobar2000| to the Comment field of the music file within iTunes. Then the multi-plugin will not send this file to Foobar and will automatically play it through iTunes.

Not too bad considering you will be able to listen to protected music without interruption--- also given protected music is a lower bit rate the quality is not the highest anyway so you are not losing much by not using Foobar.

Jun 2, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #86 of 91
Quote:

When i boot itunes it launches Foobar in the background, and everything plays fine--but i can still slide the itunes volume control bar. I thought this should be disabled if KS through foo was working. What could be wrong...?

Yes, this is true for me as well, someone needs to explain this as this whole foobar passthrough scheme might be worthless if itunes changes the sound even with the volume slider dragged to the far right.

That being said, it probably is worthless to begin with, as kmixers' sound modifications are designed to be inaudible to human ears (at least to those human ears belonging to humans not owning terrible/flawed soundcards).

But srsly u guys, does someone know if multi-plugin actually does clean passthrough? And I guess you'll save some memory usage, not that it matters in these 2008 times.

For all of you not getting it to work:
1. Uinstall itunes, quicktime and foobar
2. Install standalone quicktime
3. Install THE CORRECT itunes version: 7.0.2 (do the trick previously explained to retain your playlists).
4. Do a CLEAN foobar install, and get the kernel streaming plugin and choose output, kernel streaming (forget resampling)
5. Install multi-plugin, choose foobar passthrough in its options.

Sorry If I've ruined your placebo
wink.gif

Aug 4, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #88 of 91
"3. Find the line which starts with MSVCDir and modify the directory path to point to the location of MSVC++ on your machine. This allows the makefile to inform the compiler of the location of the standard header files."

This part lost me right here, can someone explain these steps in laymen's terms?

EDIT: Scratch that, I just figured when I rollback my itunes to an older version, my ipod will not be happy about that and it will cause a hassle.

I will try to do this with Winamp instead and just leave itunes alone...

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #89 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by dosquito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am having trouble understanding how to hook up foobar w/ ASIO on my usb dac...can someone please help?

hey, i know it's a lot to ask, but if someone would be willing to talk me through this on AIM or something please shoot me a PM.

here's what I want to do:
-Run ASIO from Itunes
-Have it play from foobar in the background
-on a USB dac (clarifying this because there seems to be something different done with USB asio)

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back