iTunes doubling all my albums?
Sep 24, 2006 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently had to re-add all my music folders to iTunes b/c one day it decided on its own to erase all my music.
blink.gif

When added the folders it made duplicates of each album?
Each albums has 2 track 1's, 2 track 2's, and so on.
How did this happen and is there any way to clear all the copies rather than goign through 70 gb's of music manually?

Sep 24, 2006 at 5:30 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by awu_gigabyte
Windows: Edit, preferences, advanced, general, uncheck "copy files to library"

Mac: itunes, preferences, advanced, general, uncheck "copy files to library"

Good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanx-but that stops iTunes from doubling albums on the back end in "my music"-which I dont mind it doing.
The problem I have is that its on the front end; its doubled all my albums on iTunes itself which its not suppossed to do even if I have "copy files to library" checked.

Sep 24, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #4 of 9
Do you mean
- it made copies of all music files into some library (folder)
or
- it shows every file in your library folder twice?

If the latter choice, (I don't know iTunes but,) could this be related to playlist files?
--> you have playlists (m3u, pls, asx, wpl, xml) in those album folders (or elsewhere) and iTunes reads all files and data from playlists into its database

jiitee

Sep 24, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #5 of 9
View/Show Duplicates
Delete

Or so I would think. As for why iTunes would dupe, it would only if there were some differences between tag info (how iTunes builds its DB). Did you change anything since last import?

Sep 24, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jiiteepee
Do you mean
- it made copies of all music files into some library (folder)
or
- it shows every file in your library folder twice?

If the latter choice, (I don't know iTunes but,) could this be related to playlist files?
--> you have playlists (m3u, pls, asx, wpl, xml) in those album folders (or elsewhere) and iTunes reads all files and data from playlists into its database

jiitee

It made duplicates of each album ON iTunes.
The duplicates are in the front end of iTunes where you normally view your music.

BLESSINGX where is this "view/show duplicates" option you mention?

Sep 30, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #7 of 9
I'm not sure what you mean by front end and back end, but:

Hit "Command" (key with Apple) and Comma (,). This opens your "Prefrences". In "Prefrences" click "Advanced".

What is the location of "iTunes Music Folder location" is the "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" checked.

Also, you MUST manually delete folder or they could be copied over again when you do a reinstall. Are you deleting the iTunes Music Folder in your Users account. That could cause two sets of Libraries in iTunes.

Are you making back-up copies of your music files on the same compter and or hard drive? If so, not a good idea. A totally separate external hard drive should be used to back-up iTunes. Also, back-up Music Folder in User account.

Hope that helps.

Sep 30, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #8 of 9
When iTunes duplicated an imported album, it's usually because there was a playlist file in the directory with the music files. I can't think of many situations that would cause iTunes to delete your entire library -- it was probably something you did.

Oct 1, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jiiteepee
you have playlists (m3u, pls, asx, wpl, xml) in those album folders (or elsewhere) and iTunes reads all files and data from playlists into its database

This is likely the problem. Look through your music folders you imported to see if they have these filetypes in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back